No announcement yet.

Austin Reaves injury

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sophomore guard Austin Reaves had his third surgery in the last four years to repair a torn labrum in his shoulder this offseason. He was on his way to recovery, then came down with mononucleosis. While he was still sick, Reaves started complaining about a sore foot and Marshall said he hasn’t practiced “in a couple of weeks.”

Comment

• Well, it wasn't the bone, so that's good news. I'm a little more worried about the mono. I know that can take a lot out of people. Hopefully he can get right soon. It may be a blessing in disguise to force a red shirt so that he can get stronger.
      You miss 100% of the shots you don't take....

.....but, statistically speaking, you miss 99% of the shots you do take.

Comment

• If we didn’t already have MM and LS out, I would say put him on the shelf for a year

Comment

• Didn't Nurger get mono his So year and drop something like 20 pounds while he had it?

I'm not real optimistic about Keyser's basketball skills, but it seems Marshall sees something there that hasn't really shown up in games I've watched. Samajae looking better than expected (at least by fans) makes a 3-guard rotation a possibility. Keyser would be needed if opponents have a big SG.

Shamet said a couple of weeks ago that the wear and tear he was saving on legs could be a benefit come March. (I LOVE Shamet's attitude.) That benefit could come a lot sooner than March. With Shamet being the only tall guard in what I expect to be primarily a 3-guard rotation, Shamet may be averaging 30+ minutes a game.

Once McDuffie is back, ZBrown could even cover some minutes at SG against opponents with tall guards.

Losing Reaves for the season would stretch minutes for some and cause some to play positions they wouldn't play otherwise, but I think it can be handled.
          The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• I've heard that Kaelen Malone has been impressive so far. If AR does redshirt, I wonder if he would be called on for a few minutes a game here and there to keep our starting guards from racking up too many minutes early in the year.
            Its a good landing if you can walk away, its a great landing if the plane can be reused the next day.

Comment

• I wonder if Zack Brown or CJ Keyser can learn the two?

Comment

• Austin and sickness/injury seem to be close friends. He has not been fortunate during his short life when it comes to sickness and injury.

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                  I wonder if Zack Brown or CJ Keyser can learn the two?
                  I'm assuming CJ plays 2/3. If I had to guess, Zach also knows the 2 just from being such a veteran of the system.

Comment

• In the few times I've witnessed Zach and CJ play the 2, they haven't looked comfortable. Hopefully that changes.

Comment

• Marshall has mentioned (apparently with "little enthusiasm" - if you know what I mean) that he had to play people out of position when Brown got some minutes at SG when FVV was hurt.

The sample size is small, and Keyser was seldom working with the first unit or in the game long enough to get into the flow of the game, but...

...Keyser at the 2 might be playing 4 against 5 on offense. I don't think teams would hesitate a moment to pull a defender off Keyser to double down on a post. They wouldn't worry about him getting an outlet pass from the post for an open 3. Keyser is starting to remind me of David Kyles without the shooting touch. That's not an entrenched opinion. The sample size I've seen is small, and not in situations conducive to demonstrating high skill levels.

Comment

• Losing AR this year would hurt as CJ just isn't a 1, 2 or a 3. Love CJ's athleticism but he can't shoot
                        well enough to play SG and would be a very small SF who, again, can't shoot very well. His value is
                        defensively a few minutes here and there to shut down an opposing perimeter player. If AR can't go
                        this season I see RB getting more minutes with ZB playing the SG a few minutes when CF rests.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                          Marshall has mentioned (apparently with "little enthusiasm" - if you know what I mean) that he had to play people out of position when Brown got some minutes at SG when FVV was hurt.

The sample size is small, and Keyser was seldom working with the first unit or in the game long enough to get into the flow of the game, but...

...Keyser at the 2 might be playing 4 against 5 on offense. I don't think teams would hesitate a moment to pull a defender off Keyser to double down on a post. They wouldn't worry about him getting an outlet pass from the post for an open 3. Keyser is starting to remind me of David Kyles without the shooting touch. That's not an entrenched opinion. The sample size I've seen is small, and not in situations conducive to demonstrating high skill levels.
                          I don't remember which interview, but I believe Marshall said he had full confidence in Keyser shooting the 3. It's maintaining focus on both ends of the floor that hurts him.

Comment

• Looking purely at the roster on GoShockers, CJ is listed as "G" (along with Landry, Conner, Austin, Samaje) vs the "F" we see for MM, Zach and Rod. Between the log jam at the 3/4, if CJ sees any minutes, it's going to have to be at the 2.

Comment

• I think that CJ may have room for improvement with enough experience.

Comment

• Keyser shot 27.3 % from 3 last year. Of all the perimeter guys he put up 3's at the lowest rate per minute. I don't share Marshall's confidence in his shooting at this time.

Those stats were mostly made during garbage time when there really wasn't much offensive flow, so perhaps they are misleading. Frankamp was a 31% 3-pt. shooter his Fr year and wasn't much better his So year, so judging shooting off of occasional Fr minutes doesn't necessarily project to a player's ultimate ability to hit shots.

In 120 minutes, Keyser was 3/11 from 3. In 123 minutes, Hamilton was 2/12 from 3.

Comment

Working...
                                X