Austin Reaves injury

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
    3G said he is definitely wanting C.J. to learn the 2.
    Yes -- Keyser is definitely a key to the long term plan here.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
      While I expect the redshirt, I am in lock step with you regarding this thinking. He needs to be a part of this.
      As far as I am concerned he will be part of it whether he redshirts or not. I'm sure everyone noticed Austin consoling Landry at the end of the Kentucky game. This kid gets it and the Shockers won't quit playing basketball after next season. One way or the other I expect Austin to be a big part of the puzzle in the future and if redshirting next year improves that odds of his success as a Shocker I'm all for it. I'm sure whatever decision is made will have Austin's future well being as the #1 consideration.

Comment

Nobody but Nobody will want to hit the hardwood anymore than Austin. He reminds me of a guy that would be shooting hoops outside in a snow blizzard under the Mercury Vapor light at midnight if that was his only option.
        Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
          Yes -- Keyser is definitely a key to the long term plan here.
          If CJ improves that outside shot down to a consistent science, and becomes a "Lockdown Defender", watch out. For some, this happens their Junior or Senior Season. I just know CJ is a keeper with the upside we need to do what we want to do.
          Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Austin has had surgery on both of his shoulders previously. Both may have been Labrum repairs although I am not sure about that. In any case, he came back as soon as possible after those surgeries. How has that worked out? Doesn't seem to have gained him much. Perhaps it is time to try a little different approach while that option is available.

Comment

During the NCAA Tournament, we saw Landry, Zach, Rashard, Duff, and Shaq a couple of times. Zach, Rashard, and Duff are pretty interchangeable so it was done for defensive purposes and Zach was probably playing the 2. Rashard already has good handles, and if Zach continues to improve his handles, and we've already heard that Duff will work on his handles, I think that we could get good enough with this crew too. But if CJ can play the 2 guard, it'll get him some minutes and Gregg would probably like to do that for him.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                Austin has had surgery on both of his shoulders previously. Both may have been Labrum repairs although I am not sure about that. In any case, he came back as soon as possible after those surgeries. How has that worked out? Doesn't seem to have gained him much. Perhaps it is time to try a little different approach while that option is available.
                Now it's a completely different situation. He's got regular access to great doctors and trainers. I expect they'll take great care of him and monitor his progress on the regular.

That kid is ALL heart. I want him healthy and strong. I agree, I'd love to have him for next year, but only if at 100%. His skill level is outstanding xz he just needs the strength and stability.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOXMVC View Post
                  If RS happens it gives us only 1 true guard over 6-1 (Landry). Conner, Daishon and Sam all 6-1 or under. In certain situations Zach and CJ could play the 2.
                  My money is on CJ (after Conner). Super gifted athlete. Agresssive,slasher. If Austin sits, CJ will shine....
                  Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

Austin needs to redshirt. CJ will be ready to step up next year at the 2/3 and Landry will be playing 30 min a game. Conner and Smith are more than capable of picking up the extra 10 min at point. What we need to do is stretch out the career of Austin Reaves and not have him be another bit player next year. He will be a star if he can get healthy, stronger and an extra year of practice without worrying about another dislocation. It might not be ideal, but some of the best players in this program were products of the redshirt (Ron, Landry, PJ, Durley, Shaq to name a few). I hope this is the route he chooses.

Comment

I believe that Austin Reeves can be a truly special player for us off of a redshirt season. We've seen how much a redshirt season meant to Ron Baker and Landry Shamet. Ron went from a weird guy at the end of the bench to a major contributor on a Final Four run (and more of course), and Landry went from good to "probably the best freshman in Wichita State history." And Reeves stands to gain even more than that if he gets completely and truly healthy while gaining strength. And ultimately, I don't just want a great season from Reeves next year. I want a great career. I think a redshirt season is the best way to achieve that.

Reeves could help us next year, but CJ and Samajae Haynes-Jones are no slouches. I think CJ was playing great ball when he had the chance this year, and I have really high hopes for SHJ. Unfortunately, we only have 80 minutes at the 1 and 2 and we'll have 6 guards good enough to get starting minutes. I selfishly want to try find a way to make it work, but the fact of the matter is that (like this year) it just isn't possible. CJ probably starts on most MVC teams and after a certain point he didn't get any rotation minutes, and now we add two more guards to that. Reeves certainly could compete for minutes now, but I think having him till 2021 (is that a real date?) is going to help the program way more than having a full-out brawl for minutes. He could be the best player on the roster by the time his career ends, or he could get the hardest to earn 5 minutes per game in Wichita State history this year.

Comment

CJ for the season shot .425 and .273 from three. In conference, that improved to .542 and .429. I'm happy with those conference numbers for a two guard.
                        "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                        ---------------------------------------
                        Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                        "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                        "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

I want AR to do what is best for HIM. If that means a RS, so be it,
                          however, I am NOT as optimistic about DS or even Jones as many
                          of you are. Lets be real. DS was a HUGE disappointment on the
                          big stage a few days ago, Jones is a total question mark right now
                          and CJ still so raw he never saw the court last week. Sorry, but
                          that is reality. If AR has to skip a year I would be very surprised
                          if GM is not looking for a quality fifth year senior transfer.

Comment

It would seem 3G's targeting of SHJ with the thought of a RS season for Austin. I'd agree taking a RS would more than likely be the best course of action, I just want the young man to be healthy and less susceptible to further injury to those shoulders.

Comment

So how is this surgery different from previous surgeries if at all? Were they not successful? I don't understand how performing the same surgery will result in a different outcome. Please enlighten me. I will hang up and listen.

Comment

Originally posted by Kochaddict View Post
                                So how is this surgery different from previous surgeries if at all? Were they not successful? I don't understand how performing the same surgery will result in a different outcome. Please enlighten me. I will hang up and listen.
                                That has been my understanding from athletes who suffered from the same type of problems. That there was no surgery or rehab that would fully prevent further occurances.

Comment

Working...
                                X