Coach's Radio Show for 12/12/16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wusphlash View Post
    Shaq has now proven he can play for 30 minutes. Playing with a swollen thigh which just about kept him out of the OU game. Was more swollen afterward. Didn't practice today.
    Shaq had already 30 minutes this season and it was against Louisville. 30 minutes, 10 points, 4 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 steal, 1 TO, and 2 PFs.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Stalwart View Post
      I think it's pretty telling that IBA is sold out, OKC had 5000 fans there....

... and CKA can't field a full crowd lately. If the team was wondering what happened to the support or worrying that it was dwindling, these two events answer that question and point the finger in a different direction. It's good we had the opportunity to demonstrate the support for the team that they deserve... but are apparently not getting from some season ticket holders and students.
      It's easy to attract fans when you have a marquee matchup. When you're playing the Texas School for the Blind or the Sisters of Sorrow, not so much.

We played a couple of those schools and the turnout was poor. Fans are probably getting a little spoiled and aren't wanting to go see the Shox boatrace some poor team.

I would expect the games against Drake and Bradley to be similar when they come to town.

Comment

Originally posted by shocka khan View Post
        It's easy to attract fans when you have a marquee matchup. When you're playing the Texas School for the Blind or the Sisters of Sorrow, not so much.

We played a couple of those schools and the turnout was poor. Fans are probably getting a little spoiled and aren't wanting to go see the Shox boatrace some poor team.

I would expect the games against Drake and Bradley to be similar when they come to town.
        Poor fan turnout is what Maryland suffered through tonight. Rows and rows of empty seats!

Comment

The last of that Georgetown/LaSalle fame I saw before the OU game -- looked like the players' blood relatives were the only ones who showed up. Acres of empty seats.

Comment

Originally posted by wusphlash View Post
            Talking about Cleo Littleton and all he means to WSU. Will be recognized at some point in the future.
            Tweet from Mark Adams:

Cleo Littleton a man who doesn't get enough credit for being a trailblazer while playing in early 50's at Wichita St Gregg and team gets it!

I appreciate that Coach Gregg Marshall respects the history and tradition of Wichita State University basketball. On several occasions he has recognized and honored the legends of Wichita State.
            ShockerNet is a rat infested cess pool.

Comment

Originally posted by shocka khan View Post

Maybe they're not spoiled. Maybe it's that the Shocks have gotten good enough now that everyone knows that they will boatrace those poor teams. 6-7 years ago (when everyone was pleasantly surprised with how good the Shocks had become), people could at least imagine that the final score would be close.

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker Mama View Post
                The last of that Georgetown/LaSalle fame I saw before the OU game -- looked like the players' blood relatives were the only ones who showed up. Acres of empty seats.

yeah it was awful, but I think it was in Miami maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                  yeah it was awful, but I think it was in Miami maybe?
                  I didn't see enough to be able to tell where it was. The squeaking of the players' shoes seemed to be the loudest sound in the arena.

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker-maniac View Post
                    Coach said that schedule is mostly set for next year. Mentioned the possibility of a game with a marquee opponent at neutral site in NY or LA, but didn't want to say too much about the schedule for next year.

On Creighton, they know that we want to play them, but it takes two to tango.

PS: Cody was a good caller.
                    There will be no Creighton WSU games in the regular season, end of story.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                      Can you give us the rest of the story? Why don't they want to schedule us?
                      ShockerNet is a rat infested cess pool.

Comment

Yes there will. From what I've heard it's a few years out, but it will happen.
                        There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

I'm sure they don't want to come to Koch, and we probably won't view an Intrust game as equal to a CenturyLink game.

So let's just play at the Sprint Center and call it good?
                          "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                          -John Wooden

Comment

Small fish. They won't come to Koch. Next.
                            FINAL FOURS:
                            1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                            1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                            Number of Times Ranked: 157
                            Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                            Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                            Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                            #3 - Dec. 2017
                            #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                            #2 ~ March 2014
                            Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Originally posted by wu_shizzle View Post
                              I'm sure they don't want to come to Koch, and we probably won't view an Intrust game as equal to a CenturyLink game.

So let's just play at the Sprint Center and call it good?
                              I think playing at the Sprint Center would be great. It would give both programs extra exposure in the KC Market. It would be a lot of fun. A nice short road trip for everyone. Both fan bases would come out in droves. If for no other reason than to out do the other one.

Comment

I've always thought it would be great to have a 4 team tournament with say Wichita State, Creighton, KU, and Missouri.
                                Wichita State and Creighton were so-called rivals as were KU and Missouri. Match them up however you like. Each team plays 2 games - winners bracket and losers bracket. Championship game and 3rd place game. They would sell out in a heartbeat.

At the Sprint Center of course.

Comment

Working...
                                X