Coach's Radio Show for 12/12/16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
    It makes as much sense as the Creighton guy saying that they don't have anything to gain either. I'm fully aware of how RPI works. You missed the hint of sarcasm that was in that post.
    So you were being entirely sarcastic, not at all serious. Fair enough.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr. Obvious View Post
      Even though most feel it's a flip of the switch to schedule someone, it's not.
      Just checked McDermotts record vs Marshall. Don't think he is the issue. The athletic departments are very friendly and I think it's just a matter of time.
      Not flaming, but the move to the BE was a huge step up in competition and playing the Shocks has not been a priority.
      Just checked those records, and inferiority may indeed be the issue. McDermott is 2-4 vs. Marshall in regular season games and 3-4 overall. Doesn't even have a .500 record against him.

I can understand the fear in playing a Marshall coached team when you have been owned by the guy.
      Deuces Valley.
      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Just looking at this year's schedule, if a home and home with Creighton replaced South Carolina St, Maryland Eastern Shore, Long Beach St, Southern Nazarene, Colorado St, St Louis, or South Dakota St, I'd take it in a heartbeat. The OU/OSU games are the only two I'd even hesitate whatsoever. There are literally ZERO top 100 opponents coming to Koch this year. That needs to be a high priority to remedy.

EDIT: I'll save making a new post altogether, but lol at Fever's post right above this one. "Doesn't EVEN have a .500 record vs Marshall"? Heck, how many coaches do? 3-4 = owned? lol

Comment

• To be fair, McDermott did get out of town before the real beating would have begun.

Comment

• Coaches trying to avoid a home / home arrangement always talk about how they hate to give up a home game and the gate it gives them every other year, and I understand that. But if the Jayboys were to play WSU home and home, at least they'd save the night's rent on their arena.

Comment

Even though most feel it's a flip of the switch to schedule someone, it's not.
              Just checked McDermotts record vs Marshall. Don't think he is the issue. The athletic departments are very friendly and I think it's just a matter of time.
              Not flaming, but the move to the BE was a huge step up in competition and playing the Shocks has not been a priority.
              In the (relatively pointless) hypothetical wherein WSU is also a member of the NBE, and in the context of the three seasons now completed with the new conference format, WSU would have statistically finished with the following rankings in-conference:

2016 - 2nd (13th nationally)
              2015 - 2nd (13th nationally)
              2014 - 1st (6th nationally)

It's an average of 34-35 positions higher than Creighton over the same period.

Currently, Creighton fans speak as if the season underway is potentially the most promising in their program's history. For WSU fans, most of us would look upon this season as promising, but probably not holding the same future prospective value as several other seasons in the past few years. The weird thing contextually in light of the prior two sentences is the fact that WSU and CU have essentially been statistically tied all season. Right now CU is one spot in front of WSU; last week the opposite was true; next week again they could swap.

So to wrap this all up, in consideration of the fact that since the formation of the NBE Creighton is a cumulative 7-13 against the three programs generally at the top of your league (Nova, Xavier, and Providence) it makes perfect sense why CU would want to avoid a game against a team that is statistically better than two out of those three, and really not that far behind the third.

(Kenpom is the source, although I doubt Sagarin or Haslam would look much different.)

Comment

• Another Creighton fun fact:

The season in which CU attained their highest final ranking in kenpom, they were still in the MVC. If the current season was suddenly frozen at current position, the statement would still remain true.

Gotta love statistical analysis aggregators that cut through the biases and bullsheet.

Comment

• I just want to go on record saying I have ZERO complex about Creighton. They struck gold and got into a great conference, but that doesn't all the sudden make me "salivate at a matchup with a big time school" or something. They are still Creighton. Playing them needs to happen for the sake of the rivalry, not because either program has somehow become lesser than the other now. I would get up for that game the same way I would get up for it back when they were in the Valley. It's about the rivalry, not their new "stature" they seem to think they have. Yes, they are in a great conference that owns the MVC. Good for them on that. But that's not why I want the game. I don't even want it for SOS. I would get up for a CU game if they were #1 or #300. Doesn't matter.

I want the game because it makes basketball fun. I feel the same way about Tulsa.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dave Stalwart View Post
                    I just want to go on record saying I have ZERO complex about Creighton. They struck gold and got into a great conference, but that doesn't all the sudden make me "salivate at a matchup with a big time school" or something. They are still Creighton. Playing them needs to happen for the sake of the rivalry, not because either program has somehow become lesser than the other now. I would get up for that game the same way I would get up for it back when they were in the Valley. It's about the rivalry, not their new "stature" they seem to think they have. Yes, they are in a great conference that owns the MVC. Good for them on that. But that's not why I want the game. I don't even want it for SOS. I would get up for a CU game if they were #1 or #300. Doesn't matter.

I want the game because it makes basketball fun. I feel the same way about Tulsa.

Perfect! Very well put and agree 100%

Comment

Perfect! Very well put and agree 100%
                      Of course you agree, you're a (not well-disguised) Creighton poster, FFS.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
                        To be fair, McDermott did get out of town before the real beating would have begun.
                        See also: Dana Altman

Comment

Working...
                        X