16-17 Games of Interest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jamar Howard 4 President View Post
    I agree that GT has no business being within 10 spots of the cut line. My point was merely about the "vs top 200" stat being extreme cherry picking and virtually worthless.
    I am just curious why the committee and so called pundits consider inviting teams who have demonstrated through the season they have limited or no chance to advance in the tournament.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
      So is vs Top 50. Or any other random cut-line.
      I know that my first reaction was that GA Tech had a loss to a team just better than 200. Actually, it was 106.

Not sure where JH4P is getting his numbers either. By my count, so far, they have played 16 games against the top 100 going 6-10. They do have, however, some very good wins to their credit.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
        So is vs Top 50. Or any other random cut-line.
        Even within a flawed system, it is still possible to cherry picked the MOST FLAWED data. However bad you think “vs top 200” is in general, in GT’s case, it is an order of magnitude worse. The fact that the system is imperfect shouldn't keep us from filtering out the extreme outliers from within it.

That’s all I’m saying here.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker1976 View Post
          I am just curious why the committee and so called pundits consider inviting teams who have demonstrated through the season they have limited or no chance to advance in the tournament.
          You mean like Syracuse last year? 19-13 (9-10 in ACC) on selection sunday, get a bid, then go to the Final Four?

(Just giving you a hard time. I hated that Syracuse got a bid as much as anyone. But I do think the "they have no chance to advance" argument is flawed as well)

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
            Not sure where JH4P is getting his numbers either. By my count, so far, they have played 16 games against the top 100 going 6-10. They do have, however, some very good wins to their credit.
            You are right. My bad. 16 vs the top 100. 19 vs the top 113. I was bouncing back and forth on RPIforecast between the forecasted and current data and messed that up.

Comment

You mean like Syracuse last year? 19-13 (9-10 in ACC) on selection sunday, get a bid, then go to the Final Four?

(Just giving you a hard time. I hated that Syracuse got a bid as much as anyone. But I do think the "they have no chance to advance" argument is flawed as well)
              Wasn't Boeheim suspended for 9 games last year and the Orange lost scholarships; if so, quite an outlier.

Admittedly my "limited or no chance" can be a flawed argument but inviting teams that were not competitive in their conference beggars the whole invitation premise.

Comment

For every Syracuse that defies the odds you have a dozen red raiders. No? Of course, it was the b12. Yes?

Comment

Eh, a week ago, Indiana still deserved to be in the conversation. When you start the season with wins over Kansas and North Carolina, and are still 15-8 at the beginning of February, I think it is fair to wait before you completely write them off. Of course, now, having lost 7 of 8, is a different story.
                  Are you talking about the same Hoosier squad that lost to Ft. Wayne? I know you're smarter than that. You're just trolling aren't you?
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post
                    Are you talking about the same Hoosier squad that lost to Ft. Wayne? I know you're smarter than that. You're just trolling aren't you?
                    Ft Wayne #163 projected RPI, next worse loss by that time was #75 Nebraska. Other 6 losses top 50 with wins against #1 projected KU and #5 North Carolina.

Butler, who's been in the top 25 most of the season, lost to projected #220 Indiana St, #122 St. John's, and #62 Georgetown. Now they did just have 2 other quality losses at that time and beat #2 Villanova, #8 Arizona, and #14 Cincinnati, but they have been touted around as a 4 seed.

Not outlandish to say Indiana was a bubble team at that point.

Comment

• Dear selection committee, please make WSU the 8/9 in KU's region. So soft.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eric View Post
                        Dear selection committee, please make WSU the 8/9 in KU's region. So soft.
                        Couldn't agree more. Mason would get his points but I think ZB would shut down Jackson. KU's big guys are foul prone and offensively challenged. Awful FT shooting team, especially Jackson. No depth. Bring 'em on!

Comment

• Originally posted by John Higgins View Post
                          Couldn't agree more. Mason would get his points but I think ZB would shut down Jackson. KU's big guys are foul prone and offensively challenged. Awful FT shooting team, especially Jackson. No depth. Bring 'em on!
                          Their rebounding is UNIesque.

Comment

• Keeping fingers crossed another close one

39 to 38 SIU

Comment

• WFM, ISU by 5
                              For some the glass is half full and for others half empty. My glass is out of ice.
                              - said no one ever...

Comment

• Now Watson (from Creighton) has been suspended form all athletic activities for violations of university policies. It's beyond anything within the athletic department. The University suspended him.
                                The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                                We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Working...
                                X