• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EH Dunk. Yikes!

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by Fafhrd Mouser View Post
        Nurger looks much improved. Appears stronger.
        Nurger looked like he bulked up a lot over the summer.

Comment

• My takeaways:

-CF is still the best shooter in program history.. in theory. Hope it translates to the floor in regular season. When he's on he'll torch defenses

-Mcduffie will turn heads. I don't think he missed a shot in the scrimmage and ended w/ around 10 pts. He's so long and versatile.. As many of us have guessed, he'lol likely have a Cleanthony like impact and possibly even more

-Brown has put some major arc on his shot. Looks like he's worked on making himself a threat from outside. Excited to see the next level of ZBo

-Keyser has some ups. He didn't play fantastic in the scrimmage but could have just had the spooks. Seemed to be in good position most of the time.

-Rashard looked like Rashard. Didn't have much of a jumper and just seemed confused with his role in the offense. Which is kind of disappointing, but it was only one scrimmage so who knows.

-Give Reaves some time and he could earn some solid backup minutes. Did a good job of creating offense and making some tough shots.

-Darral Willis has a nice little mid range jumper and drained a three as well. Could be a good rotation player. Think a slightly more athletic Darius Carter.

-Rauno had some good minutes and made a few nice plays. Still looked a little timid with the ball, but expect a bigger role.

Anyway that's what I picked up from the scrimmage. Sure I missed a couple things, but I'd say I was pretty pleased with a usually rather boring night. Good stuff guys

Comment

• Also Kelly looked good. He finished several tough drives to the hole

Comment

• I think we have pieces. I agree about CF. He is as pure as pure can get. But it didn't end up in his hands very much.

I was impressed with Willis. I too Sly thought the exact same thing, a more athletic Darius with better range.

Hamilton is such a beast but damn, he still doesn't know when to pump the breaks. He nearly took off Willis's? head on a hard foul and quickly got rang up for an offensive foul at the start of the scrimmage. I just don't know how his potential is going to be used.

McDuff is stud city. Dude is ready for the breakout year. He will get major looks after his junior year. Let's hope he sticks around for year 4.

No Shaq? Already in the dog house?
              Last edited by ShockerFever; October 20, 2016, 09:33 PM.
              Deuces Valley.
              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• What I liked about Nurger tonight is that he didn't back down and was far more physical. He banged. We need that. He went up strong. Landry is so smooth. How long is he wearing the mask? Willis impressed me. Lots of talent---need a bit of time.

Comment

• And the ally-oop three pointer was great!!!

Comment

• I think the key for Conner will be to penetrate on occcassion and hit some pull up jumpers or find a teammate. If he just hangs around on the perimeter opponents will be able to control him. He has to give them something else to think about which he did in the bonus 12 minutes.

Comment

• Scrimmages can be misleading but.......

Conner took 1 shot the first session but was much more aggressive the second set. We need the aggressive Conner.
                      Zach pretty much looked Zach. No more, no less.
                      Rashard finished at the rim almost every time. This would be a big,big plus.
                      Rauno also finished around the basket. Seemed stronger than last year.
                      Darral is a bigger, stronger Grady. Will be a significant factor inside.
                      Daishon didn't do a whole lot. Handled the ball well but nothing that would stand out.
                      Markis is bigger. Hit inside and out. Will be the main focus of opposing defenses.
                      Eric is the biggest and baddest but still is the proverbial bull breaking china.
                      Landry looked like he did early last year. Can't imagine wearing that mask. Needs to stay away from injuries.
                      Austin will get minutes. Was given ball handling responsibilities. Nice moves to the basket for shots and assists. Definitely needs to get stronger.
                      C.J. didn't show a lot which wasn't surprising considering how much he's missed. Did show serious hops in the slam dunk competition.
                      J.R will get the most walk on minutes.
                      Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

• Hamilton should get a charge called on him 75% of the time he gets the ball. Consistently out of control. Insane athletic ability with zero control

Comment

• I thought the Shocks did a pretty good job of moving the ball on offense. Hopefully, the fact that the score was pretty even for the entire 27 minutes they played is hopefully sign that the Shocks will have good depth.

Comment

• My concerns about the PG position remain. Smith was more or less invisible. Frankamp started out playing SG with Reaves playing PG.

Reaves has potential and some correctable problems. His passes are loose and lazy. Too much arc. Had some nice drives to the basket. Considering the amount of time he's had to actually play with D1 players it's hard to criticize.

Nurger had some moves around the basket, but struggled to finish

Either Kelly has gotten a lot better finishing or Willis hasn't learned how to play D yet.

A logjam at PF. Kelly, Willis, and McDuffie all got some time there. Willis looked good considering where he is in his transition to D1. Didn't look like a JuCo trying to learn a new way to play. Active on the boards. Willing (and able) to score.

McDuffie was sick, and I don't mean the kind of sick accompanied by a fever. Last year at SM, it was said that Baker looked like a man among boys. That was McDuffie this year. He did EVERYTHING well. Had one of the best feeds to Kelly for a layup I've seen. FVV would have been proud of that dime.

Who was the guy working on the very high arc in the shootaround? I thought it was McDuffie, but other posts lead me to think it might have been Brown. Whoever it was was hitting everything from deep. Started missing a few when trying the incredibly high arc. Someone has been working on 3-balls. Stroke was sweet, sweet, sweet.

I thought Simon looked like the best PG in the game. Shamet is a better passer than anyone who played PG. His passes get to their destination in a hurry.

Defense was way ahead of the offense. The offense couldn't really get into much rhythm the way the D was smothering everything. I don't know if I've ever seen the quickness on D that I saw tonight. It seemed there was always someone in the way of what the offense wanted to do or where they wanted to go.
                            Last edited by Aargh; October 20, 2016, 10:01 PM.
                            The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                            We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by wusphlash View Post
                              Scrimmages can be misleading but.......

Daishon didn't do a whole lot. Handled the ball well but nothing that would stand out.
                              Actually 6 assists and 4 rebounds by Daishon was not bad but you can tell he is still feeling his way learning 3G's system.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                                Actually 6 assists and 4 rebounds by Daishon was not bad but you can tell he is still feeling his way learning 3G's system.
                                Where did you get stats from?

Comment

Working...
                                X