Shox vs. Carleton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
    Their color guy makes Craig Steven sound like a hall-of-famer.
    Wiichhheeeetah State
    "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by Topshock View Post
      Painful as that was, it was probably the best thing that could have happened for the upcoming season. It will make the preseason coaching of this team much more effective. The point was made that even though we have tremendous talent, it takes more that that to win games.
      "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker Mama View Post
        Free throws were decent.
        Obviously HCGM read Shockernet and had the guys practice FT's this summer.

Comment

• I just got home from the game and have managed to make my way through some 260 posts! I got to talk to many Shockers fans at the game and spent some time chatting with Mike and Bob.

In a post on the other Canada Trip thread, I did apologize in advance for the Carleton announcers. Yes, they are terrible. I listened to Mike and Bob for a while yesterday. Real pros.

I think both sides thought the referees were "less than great". Once we get a box score for the game, it would be interesting to see which team had more FTA.

Yesterday, the Shockers played the equivalent of an NCAA Division 3 team. Today they played a Division 1 team. Your next opponent, McGill, is more like a good Division 2 team.

I enjoyed the game and the people that I met. Now that I have seen your players, I will be following the progress of the Shockers more closely once the real season starts.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rally Doug View Post
            I just got home from the game and have managed to make my way through some 260 posts! I got to talk to many Shockers fans at the game and spent some time chatting with Mike and Bob.

In a post on the other Canada Trip thread, I did apologize in advance for the Carleton announcers. Yes, they are terrible. I listened to Mike and Bob for a while yesterday. Real pros.

I think both sides thought the referees were "less than great". Once we get a box score for the game, it would be interesting to see which team had more FTA.

Yesterday, the Shockers played the equivalent of an NCAA Division 3 team. Today they played a Division 1 team. Your next opponent, McGill, is more like a good Division 2 team.

I enjoyed the game and the people that I met. Now that I have seen your players, I will be following the progress of the Shockers more closely once the real season starts.
            Thanks for the feedback, @Rally Doug:! Certainly a reality check for our Shockers, but we all thank you for your perspective. Hope you can continue the Canadian following of the Shocks into March Madness!
            "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Originally posted by OregonShocker View Post
              Obviously HCGM read Shockernet and had the guys practice FT's this summer.
              Provably trying to avoid that on the call-in show.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rally Doug View Post
                Here is the game report from the Carleton Ravens website. It includes the box score.

Personal fouls: Wichita 22, Carleton 26.

FTA: Wichita 28, Carleton 27.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
                  Thanks for the feedback, @Rally Doug:! Certainly a reality check for our Shockers, but we all thank you for your perspective. Hope you can continue the Canadian following of the Shocks into March Madness!
                  Kaza Keane must be 23 years old. He has played two years at ISU Red, one year at Cleveland State, and he is now playing his second year at Carleton.
                  When we have a redshirt, they only are eligible to play four years. What an advantage for him. I was never impressed with him previously but he was more physical
                  than any of our guards today.

How many of your players have taken the five year career route?

Comment

• Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
                    Kaza Keane must be 23 years old. He has played two years at ISU Red, one year at Cleveland State, and he is now playing his second year at Carleton.
                    When we have a redshirt, they only are eligible to play four years. What an advantage for him. I was never impressed with him previously but he was more physical

Grant Gibbs could play into his 50's.
                    "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post
                      Grant Gibbs could play into his 50's.
                      I believe Gibbs went straight from graduation to retirement.
                      The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

• Originally posted by shockmonster View Post

So, in CIS basketball, you can play actively for five years, not four as in the NCAA. If you return to the CIS from the NCAA, your NCAA playing years count. You are correct, Keane will play two years at Carleton, after three years in the NCAA. We have another player, Emmanuel Owootoah (number 5, if you watched the game on-line today) who is in a similar situation.

It is important to remember that we have no "one and done" players in the CIS (unless they flunk out of school). They are going to school to receive an education and they play basketball as a secondary pursuit. They have no illusions of getting drafted in the NBA, although many do continue on to play professional basketball around the world. In fact, something like 25 Carleton Ravens have played professionally after graduation.

To answer your question, almost all Carleton players opt for the five year career route (although some do play four years, graduate and get on with life in the real world). Most players come out of high school at 18 (although some on the Ravens did join the club at 17). I don't know all of the players ages, but Keane is likely the oldest on the team.

Comment

• I think the Shocker players and Shocker fans got exactly what was needed at this stage of the game. A healthy dose of reality. I think we all knew deep down that you don't lose a Fred VanVleet, Ron Baker and Evan Wessel (and to a lesser degree Anton Grady) and not face the almost guaranteed prospect of some severe growing pains. Replacing the basketball talent and BBIQ of those guys is tough enough, but replacing the mental and physical toughness and the Leadership of that group will be an even more challenging undertaking.

That said 3G should now have the full and undivided attention of his guys and will be able to mold this team into being the best that they can be and I think they will be a pretty solid and competitive basketball team that should get progressively better as the season moves along.

Hopefully, we will look back to this game as being an essential and valuable experience that will have contributed positively to the growth and development of a good basketball team.

Go Shocks!

Comment

• I wouldn't be too upset. Carleton is a very good team and likely better than the Shockers. They regular beat D1 mid majors. It is their pre- season too.

Last year they beat Baylor and Valpo. The year before they beat Memphis by 32 and 12. They beat Wisonsin by 12 the year they nearly went undefeated. They took Syracuse and Lousiville to OT and lost.

Here is a nice article about the Wisconsin experience at Carelton and how it kick started their big season. http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...-season-better You can either think your guys played poorly or accept Carleton is possibly better and learn from it.

Good luck in the season. Canadians can ball!

Comment

• Well, all I can say is that we needed that. Never saw so many players lost on defense. Once fall
                              practices start there should be some intense ones with all starting spots open. Something tells me
                              the tougher players with court sense ( we lacked it so much today ) will be starting, that and the
                              ones that will bust their asses on D. Right now, I don't see any stars on this team, but it's early.
                              I will have to admit I sure didn't expect what I saw today. It's a new era. No RB or Fred. Having
                              said all that I remain somewhat optimistic but not as much as yesterday.

Comment

• No scholarship seniors=no senior leadership=lack of toughness= road woes. However, by second semester we should be "growing up" some.We should be really good over the next two years, but a steely eyed leader ( or three) certainly needs too emerge.

Comment

Working...
                                X