No announcement yet.

Shox vs. Carleton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We played defense standing high, and jumping out, not low and moving feet. I was surprised that our defensive technique was that bad.

Comment

• We were really good at getting the ball to a post player...

...outside the 3-point arc...

...with 5 seconds on the shot clock.
      The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
      We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• But seriously, I hope the people hoisting trophies yesterday aren't slashing wrists today. It's August and we have a great coaching staff.

Comment

• I shutter to think what Carleton would do to a Bradley or a Drake.
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
            I shutter to think what Carleton would do to a Bradley or a Drake.
            Maybe they would lose.

Comment

• This is why we made the trip. Partially to get in extra practice against JV teams, partially to get a massive reality check. Nothing will tell a team where they need to improve like a shellacking, and luckily this one won't count on our record. Need to improve massively in toughness, defense, rebounding, and passing, but it isn't March. It isn't even November.

Comment

• I like the pieces we have and the way we shoot the ball. Most of the things wrong today are fixable.

This should be a very good team. A team that wins the Valley and plays in the NCAA if they stay healthy. Lots of room for growth and improvement though.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
                  Maybe they would lose.
                  5 on 9? Possibly.
                  Deuces Valley.
                  ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Sure seemed like a LOT of our defensive positioning was awful, too many guys getting caught out of position way too often as Carleton moved the ball around. That is fixable with a lot of work in practice. I agree with the sentiment that it is better to have this kick in the nads NOW, provided they respond to it.
                    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                      I like the pieces we have and the way we shoot the ball. Most of the things wrong today are fixable.

This should be a very good team. A team that wins the Valley and plays in the NCAA if they stay healthy. Lots of room for growth and improvement though.
                      Oh no doubt. You can't make snap judgements based on August games against international competition, playing international rules, with zero scouting, and just a completely different set of circumstances. You can't do it when you beat a team by 50 or lose to a team by 25. You can make general observations but anybody who's creaming themselves over exhibition results in August should probably just check out for the next 3 months.

This result has no bearing on what the rest of the season will be. Period.
                      Deuces Valley.
                      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• This game was not coached to win. It was to expose our weakness, not hide them. That's what playing a good team helps with. Clearly Charleton was up for this game as all teams will be for the rest of the season. The thing that concerns me the most that should never be missing with a Gregg Marshall team is toughness.

Comment

• Around 100 days until the first game.

Comment

• Painful as that was, it was probably the best thing that could have happened for the upcoming season. It will make the preseason coaching of this team much more effective. The point was made that even though we have tremendous talent, it takes more that that to win games.

Comment

• Sheesh - good to get that teaching lesson out of the way. So glad we got that opportunity to build and fix for the upcoming season! What contrast going against high-schoolers yesterday and grown ups today. Learn and get better Shocks!!!
                              FINAL FOURS:
                              1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                              1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                              Number of Times Ranked: 157
                              Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                              Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                              Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                              #3 - Dec. 2017
                              #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                              #2 ~ March 2014
                              Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Originally posted by Topshock View Post
                                Painful as that was, it was probably the best thing that could have happened for the upcoming season. It will make the preseason coaching of this team much more effective. The point was made that even though we have tremendous talent, it takes more that that to win games.
                                Agreed, I have a feeling the first week or so of practices when they get home will be some real "come-to-Jesus" meetings.

Comment

Working...
                                X