No announcement yet.

Fred is a Raptor!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You guys got me interested, so I went and looked because I forgot who they took. It was two first round picks where they got Jakob Poeltl and Pascal Siakam. Fred is doing quite alright. I really liked both of those guys. Would have a been a college dream team to have Fred dishing to Siakam and Poeltl.

Comment

I love FVV, but there's no way I'd have chosen him rather than either Poeltl or Siakam, even more so given the chance of signing him undrafted (which obviously wasn't going to happen with the two they drafted, both of whom would have been gobbled up). Toronto did REALLY well for themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
        I love FVV, but there's no way I'd have chosen him rather than either Poeltl or Siakam, even more so given the chance of signing him undrafted (which obviously wasn't going to happen with the two they drafted, both of whom would have been gobbled up). Toronto did REALLY well for themselves.
        Yeah, this wasn't a Kelly Oubre situation. Both Poeltl and Siakam are legit and absolutely deserved to be drafted where they were. For Toronto to use their first round picks to get those guys, and immediately be talking to Fred to get a deal worked out with him so that he passed on teams wanting to draft and stash him in the 2nd round means that Toronto had a very smart and productive draft day.
        "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

toronto lost in the eastern conference finals to cleveland in six games, i believe. van vleet and the raptors would be perfect for each other. win, win situation. winning is fun.

Comment

This post is for the out of town Shocker folks. The following quotes were taken from Paul Sullentrop's article in the Wichita Eagle on July 14, 2016. When I read the article, I was so happy for Fred. It made my heart sing.

"Your heart can account for a lot, if you play the smart the way he does and do things the right way with the skill he has."
            ---Jama Mahlalela, Toronto Raptors Assistant Coach and Summer League Coach

"Those few moments, defensively, against Kris (Dunn) were proof of that, that he has the ability to play at the elite level."
            ---Jama Mahlalela

"His leadership stood out, even in that first draft workout."
            ---Jama Mahlalela

"His ability to create off the pick and roll is tremendous. He always finds the next pass or the right pass and that is a real talent."
            ---Jama Mahlalela

Last edited by Ricardo del Rio; July 15, 2016, 08:52 AM.
            "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Originally posted by Ricardo del Rio View Post
              This post is for the out of town Shocker folks. The following quotes were taken from Paul Sullentrop's article in the Wichita Eagle on July 14, 2016. When I read the article, I was so happy for Fred. It made my heart sing.

"Your heart can account for a lot, if you play the smart the way he does and do things the right way with the skill he has."
              ---Jama Mahlalela, Toronto Raptors Assistant Coach and Summer League Coach

"Those few moments, defensively, against Kris (Dunn) were proof of that, that he has the ability to play at the elite level."
              ---Jama Mahlalela

"His leadership stood out, even in that first draft workout."
              ---Jama Mahlalela

"His ability to create off the pick and roll is tremendous. He always finds the next pass or the right pass and that is a real talent."
              ---Jama Mahlalela

http://www.kansas.com/sports/college/wichita-state/article89462532.html
              Looks like I may have to eat my words on FVV in the NBA; I'll do it with a BIG grin!

Comment

Originally posted by OregonShocker View Post
                Looks"]http://www.kansas.com/sports/college/wichita-state/article89462532.html
                [/URL] Looks like I may have to eat my words on FVV in the NBA; I'll do it with a BIG grin![/QUOTE]

Just mix them with a little bit of Mountain Dew and some Hot Cheetos and they'll taste heavenly.
                "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

RAPTORS SIGN FRED VANVLEET!!!!! HE MADE IT!!!!!

The Toronto Raptors announced Monday they have signed guard Fred VanVleet to a multi-year contract. Per team policy, financial terms of the deal were not disclosed. VanVleet, 6-foot, 195 pounds, recently participated with the Raptors’ entry in NBA Summer League 2016 in Las Vegas, averaging 6.2 points, 3.0 rebounds, 1.6 assists and 16.0 minutes in five games. He shot .417 (10-for-24) from the field and .545 (6-for-11) from three-point range.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockdaWorld View Post
                    RAPTORS SIGN FRED VANVLEET!!!!! HE MADE IT!!!!!

http://www.nba.com/raptors/press-rel...anvleet-071816
                    I think this is simply the team announcing the news that was already reported several days ago. Yes, he has a contract, but I am guessing that he still has a long way to go to make the team...some (maybe most) of that being out of his control.
                    78-65

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
                      I think this is simply the team announcing the news that was already reported several days ago. Yes, he has a contract, but I am guessing that he still has a long way to go to make the team...some (maybe most) of that being out of his control.
                      I don't think that's the case. I'm still looking for a team link other than what I posted, but Toronto fans on their board are talking on their board about him having a roster spot.

Comment

If you click that link, hit the menu icon at top right and select team roster, you'll count 15 guys (NBA Max for regular season) and Fred's not one. The other 15 are all on guaranteed contracts. Fred's best shot at a roster spot on the Raptor's 15 man roster is via a trade of one of the guys ahead of him.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtVandalay View Post
                          If you click that link, hit the menu icon at top right and select team roster, you'll count 15 guys (NBA Max for regular season) and Fred's not one. The other 15 are all on guaranteed contracts. Fred's best shot at a roster spot on the Raptor's 15 man roster is via a trade of one of the guys ahead of him.
                          I don't know that this contract means he gets the 15th spot, but almost everything I've read from Toronto Raptors sites, is that they currently do not have a 15th guaranteed contract. Like here: http://www.raptorshq.com/2016/7/18/1...-year-contract

After more reading it does not look like Jason Thompson is currently signed to a guaranteed contract for 2016-17.
                          Last edited by ShockCrazy; July 18, 2016, 02:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtVandalay View Post
                            Like I said, I don't think that's accurate, but I haven't been able to find anything else yet while I'm at work. I agree that there is no way of knowing yet if he will be on the floor, or if he will be playing for the 905, but everything looks like he's going to get paid whichever place he ends up. Some Raptors fans are not very happy about it. They will be soon enough.

Comment

Comparing the online roster with a online salary cap tracker, the Raptors have a cap hold on Jason Thompson, but he's a free agent and not under contract. He's on the raptors site, but currently not counting against the 15. In any case, hoping Fred can do more than make the roster.

Comment

Barring anything horrid happening at camp, he has mad the roster.
                                People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded
                                Who else posts fake **** all day in order to maintain the acrimony? Wingnuts, that's who.

Comment

Working...
                                X