2016-17 Media Hate Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2016-17 Media Hate Thread

"NCAA Tournament Regulars in Danger of Missing the Big Dance in 2017" - Bleacher Report
    By Kerry Miller
    June 29, 06:05 PM

Providence, Colorado and Iowa have had a solid run in men's college basketball over the past half-decade, but significant roster turnover puts them atop our list of NCAA tournament regulars we don't expect to see on Selection Sunday 2017...

10. Wichita State Shockers

"...Yet this team is lacking in star power. There's plenty of depth, but who do the Shockers turn to when they absolutely need a bucket? Unless Markis McDuffie makes a big sophomore-year leap, that might be a question we're asking of Wichita State all season long."

That's fine, but tell me the last time we needed a big basket to win a game? This program steamrolls teams. First thing our opponents have to do is to get close enough to matter.

Comment

Who did we turn to when we needed a huge bucket in 2012-2013?

Cle hit a huge shot to beat Illinois State. Malcolm hit a jumper to beat VCU. Fred and Ron hit big shot after big shot in the NCAA Tournament. Sometimes having multiple guys who can step up instead of having one star player taking all the shots is better.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
        That's fine, but tell me the last time we needed a big basket to win a game? This program steamrolls teams. First thing our opponents have to do is to get close enough to matter.
        Yep. It was really kind of interesting, the careers of Ron and Fred. Stone-cold killers. But frankly their shot-making in the final seconds of a game was horrid.

What they did was 30 minutes of work every night that made that moot 90% of the time.

Comment

This is the same rag that proclaimed that WSU would take a step back in 2012-13 after losing Toure, Garrett, and crew. Nothing to see here...
          78-65

Comment

Agree on all the post above....but when we need a bucket...my money is on throwing into the paint and let Willis go to work. Or Shaq...
            FINAL FOURS:
            1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
            1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
            Number of Times Ranked: 157
            Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
            Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
            Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
            #3 - Dec. 2017
            #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
            #2 ~ March 2014
            Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Under HCGM we haven't been in the position of having that one guy that we had to count on to make that big shot, I don't see things changing.

Comment

I think we have some guys who can get their shot when they want. Namely Frankamp, Shamet, maybe Duff, eventually Reeves. However, I'd prefer we run some kind of offense to try and get an open look first. Then if nothing comes of that run a pick and roll to free someone up for the hero shot. At least I would prefer that to one guy dribbling out the shot clock and forcing a contested jumper.

Comment

High pick and roll with MM setting the pick and LS handling the ball looking for a clear lane. MM steps
                  back as Cle did for a game winner or LS has CF and PA spotted up on the wings if/when the defense
                  collapses on him. Not worried - we have lots of GOOD options. 5-10 seeding.

Comment

What else is new?
                    Deuces Valley.
                    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
                      I think we have some guys who can get their shot when they want. Namely Frankamp, Shamet, maybe Duff, eventually Reeves. However, I'd prefer we run some kind of offense to try and get an open look first. Then if nothing comes of that run a pick and roll to free someone up for the hero shot. At least I would prefer that to one guy dribbling out the shot clock and forcing a contested jumper.
                      Don't forget about Allen when it comes to getting a shot. 3G spoke highly of him last year.

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
                        Don't forget about Allen when it comes to getting a shot. 3G spoke highly of him last year.
                        He can shoot but our options to create shots will be best when we spread out, and either Marcus or Landry drive the lane (whoever has the best mismatch) and passes to CF, PA, etc. who are camped out beyond the 3 point line. The 5 (Willis) setting a pick to create space unless he clogs the lane. The two man pick and pop is also a good option for MM and LS.

Comment

Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
                          He can shoot but our options to create shots will be best when we spread out, and either Marcus or Landry drive the lane (whoever has the best mismatch) and passes to CF, PA, etc. who are camped out beyond the 3 point line. The 5 (Willis) setting a pick to create space unless he clogs the lane. The two man pick and pop is also a good option for MM and LS.
                          All I know is they used Allen to simulate high volume scorers in practice, and PA more than fulfilled that role by way 3G said

Comment

The problem is Gregg never found a guy to push Fred in practice or real time games... If we had anther great pg on the bench then even this year would have been different

Comment

Originally posted by choida View Post
                              The problem is Gregg never found a guy to push Fred in practice or real time games... If we had anther great pg on the bench then even this year would have been different
                              Fred struck you as the kind of player that needed extra motivation?

Comment

Working...
                              X