HCGM & Football Poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
    Dunno either, but we could pencil in some numbers ...

If we assume that soccer is super popular in Wichita (it really is, relative to most other towns), then let's shoot high with an average attendance of 3500.

13 games x 3500 x $10/seat (?) = $455,000

With 9.9 scholarships at $10,000(?) per year, that's $99,000. You add in a $80,000 coach's salary, plus maybe a couple $40k assistants/managers, you are looking at $160,000ish for staff. That leaves quite a bit of room for field leasing (Friends?), equipment and travel expenses.

Of course you have to look at the low end too ... assume attendance is only $2000. At that point you are near break even with only salary and scholarships, but still have other operational costs eating into ya.

Any idea what the real scholarship cost is per athlete?
    This also ignores the fact that if you add men's soccer (which could and in my opinion should be profitable), you also have to add women's soccer and that's most certainly a money loser. So it's a net loss when you add both sports, most certainly.
    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post
      Surprised that line still had bait on it.

:)
      I was trying to find your post he was responding to,but I can't find it anywhere. Curious.

Comment

Dunno either, but we could pencil in some numbers ...

If we assume that soccer is super popular in Wichita (it really is, relative to most other towns), then let's shoot high with an average attendance of 3500.

13 games x 3500 x $10/seat (?) = $455,000

With 9.9 scholarships at $10,000(?) per year, that's $99,000. You add in a $80,000 coach's salary, plus maybe a couple $40k assistants/managers, you are looking at $160,000ish for staff. That leaves quite a bit of room for field leasing (Friends?), equipment and travel expenses.

Of course you have to look at the low end too ... assume attendance is only $2000. At that point you are near break even with only salary and scholarships, but still have other operational costs eating into ya.

Any idea what the real scholarship cost is per athlete?
        Wow, I am a huge football advocate with mega pipe dreams but those numbers aren't even close to what it takes to run a men's soccer program. Please delete it before a Sweatervest fan sees it and quotes it in perpetuity.

Comment

• I really don't know what the dollars and cents are for soccer. And when we talk about soccer we are talking both a men's and women's program. We will never add only men's soccer as long at Title IX exists and I don't think it is going anywhere.

Seems to me that if Wichita State believed that adding soccer would produce significant positive net revenues then we would probably have soccer.

As it is I simply don't see us adding soccer until we feel entrenched and stable in the AAC if then. If we ever do add men's soccer that might be a pretty good indication that football at Wichita State is, in fact, a dead issue.

Will soccer ever overtake football in fan popularity in the United States? Seems like a long shot but not impossible I suppose. But that would seem to be farther into the future than you could reasonably plan for at this point in time.

I just don't think WSU is looking to add anything additional that might require additional subsidizing by the bell cow. Maybe a wealthy supporter who loves soccer will come along and make it happen. Hasn't that been our main hope for bringing football back as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockerman View Post
            Wow, I am a huge football advocate with mega pipe dreams but those numbers aren't even close to what it takes to run a men's soccer program. Please delete it before a Sweatervest fan sees it and quotes it in perpetuity.
            I'm not worried about a Creighton fan ... what are the costs?

Comment

• Look at the Wichita State Soccer team on Facebook.
              It appears they play and practice at the Metroplex.
              SHOCKERS & AWE

"Go Ahead, Try To Jinx Us" ~ The Monsters Of The Midwest

"Wichita State fans bring the noise to another level. The roar
              gets into your skull, giving you a mild case of vertigo."

Comment

• Originally posted by ShanShock View Post
                Look at the Wichita State Soccer team on Facebook.
                It appears they play and practice at the Metroplex.
                That's just club ball. Would have no similarity what-so-ever to an NCAA D1 program.

Comment

That's just club ball. Would have no similarity what-so-ever to an NCAA D1 program.
                  Thank you for clarifying that! 🌻
                  SHOCKERS & AWE

"Go Ahead, Try To Jinx Us" ~ The Monsters Of The Midwest

"Wichita State fans bring the noise to another level. The roar
                  gets into your skull, giving you a mild case of vertigo."

Comment

• Wichita State Club Sports

My grandson would no doubt be in the Bass Fishing and Shooting Clubs.

Comment

Working...
                    X