No announcement yet.

NBA Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I s wondered if Wessel could play professional football. He is not a pass-catching tight end, however.

Comment

[QUOTE=small tyme baller;65105
      Big E - No, Europe .... And I must disagree w/Dave on this one, as SR's ... I'd take Big E > Stutz 9 outta 10 games[/QUOTE]

agree, no question

Comment

Fair enough, but I think a lot is lost on the coaching and system in the comparison. I still give Stutz the nod because of body of work, team accomplishments and the difference between what I think the UE system and our system is. And as a reminder, my only point originally was that I think, like Stutz, Mock will get some interest but won't be selected. They have similar weaknesses and Mock also isn't 7' tall. I think he will have a similar career to Stutz in Europe. Do any of you guys really think Mock would abuse Stutz one on one? I don't. I think that's a solid matchup. Meanwhile, in his career UE never did better than a contested, far removed 2nd place in the MVC, never made the dance, never finished better than about 100 in the RPI I'm pretty sure. Our teams generally have much better depth and coaching, so that works against Stutz statistically and I have a feeling Stutz would have put up similar numbers as Mock in the MVC had he been a 4 year go-to guy at UE. If Stutz didn't get drafted, I don't think Mock will either.
        Last edited by Dave Stalwart; April 2, 2016, 12:43 PM.

Comment

There was a time right before I moved to AZ that then coach of the Phoenix Suns Cotton Fitzsimmons had to grab the mic at a Suns draft party to calm down the crowds boos. The crowd erupted with disdain as the announcement of Dan Marjele was announced as their 1st Round draft choice.

Cotton's rebuttal to the crowd was that you may be booing now but this kid is tough as nails and you will grow to love him! His words could not have been more prophetic.

Marjele went on to have an outstanding career as a Sun and is adored by the fan base even today.

I don't hold out much hope but if Cotton Fitzsimmons were still with us and was part of the brass with the Suns...I suspect he would love Ron Baker and pull the trigger come draft day. Very similar players.
          FINAL FOURS:
          1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
          1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
          Number of Times Ranked: 157
          Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
          Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
          Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
          #3 - Dec. 2017
          #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
          #2 ~ March 2014
          Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Fred going to Portsmouth means he likely needs to convince some.

Ron not going to Portsmouth suggests a certain amount of 2nd round confidence.
            Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

This Mock draft has both Ron and Fred at the very end....

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                http://www.nbadraft.net/2016mock_draft
                The last mock draft when Cle was a senior had him going to the Rockets in the first round. I STILL wish that would have happened. I bet you do, too.

At any rate, as we both know, many things can happen and teams don't always draft to get a player to help them. Some (like the Rockets did when Cle was a senior) deliberately draft players they know they can't sign to save cap $$$$$ (by drafting some European).
                Last edited by shocka khan; April 4, 2016, 12:43 PM. Reason: didn't get all the information in my post

Comment

Originally posted by Baileyburns_9 View Post
                  I can't see baker not getting drafted. What is his weakness in the NBA? I think he has it all.
                  35% from 3 (college 3, not NBA 3) during his senior year was not helpful to his stock.

Comment

I'm not familiar enough with Boston to know how it would fit Ron's game, but I would absolutely love to see FVV in San Antonio. As boring as they are to watch sometimes, they are incredibly well coached and a very well run organization that I think he could fit into very well.
                    "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

Originally posted by ShockdaWorld View Post
                      I'm not familiar enough with Boston to know how it would fit Ron's game, but I would absolutely love to see FVV in San Antonio. As boring as they are to watch sometimes, they are incredibly well coached and a very well run organization that I think he could fit into very well.
                      San Antonio is boring to watch because they're too good or...?

Comment

Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
                        Not at all. They can be boring to watch because they don't have much flash and/or charisma that many are familiar with seeing in the NBA. Very workmanlike, go in, get your job done, get out. Pretty common opinion really.

Comment

Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
                          They're like the complete opposite of the Warriors. The Warriors are a tad better, but way more fun to watch. All flash, all success. San Antonio is hardly any flash, all success.

Comment

Anyone that takes Cousins or Uthoff ahead of Baker deserves to lose.

Looks like Coach Turgeon has a rebuild on his hands, losing 4 of his top 5 scorers.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                              Anyone that takes Cousins or Uthoff ahead of Baker deserves to lose.

Looks like Coach Turgeon has a rebuild on his hands, losing 4 of his top 5 scorers.
                              He'll probably just look for another job. Isn't that his M.O. when the cupboard appears to be bare?

Comment

Originally posted by ShockdaWorld View Post
                                Not at all. They can be boring to watch because they don't have much flash and/or charisma that many are familiar with seeing in the NBA. Very workmanlike, go in, get your job done, get out. Pretty common opinion really.
                                Huh, I've always thought the Spurs were one of the more fun teams to watch over the last ten years or so. Their ball movement on offense is amazing and they've had some guys who can really shoot the ball over the years. Not to mention Tony Parker is a wizard with the ball, Gonobilis game is bizarre and highly effective, Duncan is an all time great, and Kawhi Leonard is one of the most underrated players in the NBA.

I thought when people refer to the Spurs as "boring" they typically mean they don't provide a lot of material for journalist.

IMO boring basketball is the way the 2015 Cavs played against the Warriors in the finals. Iso lebron on the wing where he holds the ball for 15 seconds, he goes one on one and either gets fouled or hope for an offensive rebound. AKA the northern Iowa/Illinois State vs WSU tactic.

Comment

Working...
                                X