No announcement yet.

NBA Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If Stutz didn't get drafted, neither will Mock. I really thought Stutz had a shot, and I learned my lesson. Stutz is better than Mock. Mock will have a similar career to Stutz in Euro. He's still going strong after several years over there.

Comment

Mock would have crushed it to the tune of a 7 year career in the NBA averaging about 3 ppg in the late 80s and early 90s.

Cleanthony would also have easily put up double figs for a half dozen years during that same era.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Stalwart View Post
        If Stutz didn't get drafted, neither will Mock. I really thought Stutz had a shot, and I learned my lesson. Stutz is better than Mock. Mock will have a similar career to Stutz in Euro. He's still going strong after several years over there.
        At least in Europe they will be able to pronounce his name!
        "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
        ---------------------------------------
        Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
        "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
        "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
          At least in Europe they will be able to pronounce his name!
          Yeah I think he ended up getting reduced to "Giddy" Mock when wall was said and done. Too many syllables for the U.S. We needed to dumb it down to our level.

Comment

Originally posted by Art Bunch View Post
            I would like to see all three get drafted and make a roster next season. I don't see it happening. Eventually, all those guys will play in the NBA but it will look more like the Toure Murry route.

Something that is not understood all that well about the NBA is the fact that there is very little player turnover. As opposed to football which sees a high roster churn every year, the NBA is exactly opposite. The structure of guaranteed contracts in the NBA encourages teams to stick with current players and avoid bringing in new talent.

NFL teams will cut a productive player just so they don't have to pay him, NBA teams will keep an unproductive player around so they don't have to pay him AND another guy to sit at the end of the bench.

So unless a player is drafted in the 1st round, it's really hard to find an open roster spot on any team. Sometimes it takes a couple of years and a series of 10-day contracts for guys like Fred, Ron and Perry to catch on.
            Very informative post; as I do not follow the NBA I was unaware of the information you provided.

Comment

Originally posted by Art Bunch View Post
              I would like to see all three get drafted and make a roster next season. I don't see it happening. Eventually, all those guys will play in the NBA but it will look more like the Toure Murry route.

Something that is not understood all that well about the NBA is the fact that there is very little player turnover. As opposed to football which sees a high roster churn every year, the NBA is exactly opposite. The structure of guaranteed contracts in the NBA encourages teams to stick with current players and avoid bringing in new talent.

NFL teams will cut a productive player just so they don't have to pay him, NBA teams will keep an unproductive player around so they don't have to pay him AND another guy to sit at the end of the bench.

So unless a player is drafted in the 1st round, it's really hard to find an open roster spot on any team. Sometimes it takes a couple of years and a series of 10-day contracts for guys like Fred, Ron and Perry to catch on.
              It might seem that way, but that's not really accurate. Go to any team's roster and you will note 3 things: veterans (5+ years in the league) and a slew of 1-3 year players, and names you've never heard of. If you just listen for the "all star" names, then you miss the other names. There is turnover, and it isn't just first round guys. But, you have to have 3 attributes: willing to sit the bench and get limited PT; work your a$$ off for that opportunity (have some kinda benefit for the staff to keep you around); take MUCH lower pay. Believe it or not, a LOT of guys don't have all three. The big question is whether they have the "something" that a coach is willing to pay for to keep you on the team even though you average 3.6 minutes a game.

Comment

I don't think either Ron or Fred will get drafted, but if I had to pick one of them to get drafted, I would pick Ron as being more likely. He had a good showing in the Pan Am games and the Senior All Star game. Fred, unfortunately, didn't get picked for the Pan Am team and didn't play in the All Star game.

Comment

Which NFL team scoops up Wessel, and what position does he play? He could totally pull a Tony Gonzalez.
                  Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

I hope Ron or Fred end up on the Spurs somehow, someway, an organization that can actually support and develop them. Poor Cle...

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                      Which NFL team scoops up Wessel, and what position does he play? He could totally pull a Tony Gonzalez.
                      Do blue birds sing in a whisky stream as well?

Comment

Originally posted by 1979Shocker View Post
                        I don't think either Ron or Fred will get drafted, but if I had to pick one of them to get drafted, I would pick Ron as being more likely. He had a good showing in the Pan Am games and the Senior All Star game. Fred, unfortunately, didn't get picked for the Pan Am team and didn't play in the All Star game.
                        Fred will try D League, even euro, China whatever, coaching will be his thing sooner rather then later

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                          Fred, Ron, Perry, Selden, Diallo, Greene, Ballentine, Beane, Mockevicius..............Who gets drafted? Anybody go in the first round? Who in the second round? Who doesn't hear their name called?
                          Fred - No, my guess is Europe
                          Ron - Late 2nd RD, D-League
                          Perry - No, D-League or Europe
                          Selden - Latter H of 2nd RD
                          Diallo - 2nd RD, no idea where
                          Greene - LMFAO, NO
                          Balentine - No, Europe
                          Big E - No, Europe .... And I must disagree w/Dave on this one, as SR's ... I'd take Big E > Stutz 9 outta 10 games
                          Beane - No
                          Up your nose with a rubber hose - Barbarino

Comment

Originally posted by choida View Post
                            Fred will try D League, even euro, China whatever, coaching will be his thing sooner rather then later
                            I agree with this, and as much as I'd like to see him on the WSU bench, I'd guess he would be the kind of guy to coach youth in Rockford.

Comment

I mean, the Lakers need a new SG
                              Brummett throws, STRUCK HIM OUT! THE SHOCKERS ARE NATIONAL CHAMPIONS! AN UNBELIEVABLE STORY!

Comment

Originally posted by choida View Post
                                Do blue birds sing in a whisky stream as well?
                                I don't know this reference. But it sounds like you're implying I'm on drugs. I'm not, but I would definitely take a splash in a whisky stream, should that opportunity arise!

Now back to Evan. Maybe he's more of a weak-side linebacker, until he puts on his post-college weight. He can jump, anticipate the short pass (and pick it off), and we all know if there's a fumble who is going to jump on the grenade first. Yeah, linebacker.
                                Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Working...
                                X