No announcement yet.

MVC Tourney - WSU vs UNI Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We were ****. We were **** last year. We still had a nice dance.

We have two weeks to make a course correction. It has happened almost every other time we have pissed down our leg recently and lost the tourney.

Unless Fred truly is hurt we have no reason to assume our prep and performance will mirror the garbage the last two games. History has proven otherwise.

Trust me I'm pissed. UNI lets players shoot that can't or forces players to shoot from spots they are uncomfortable from. When it works they are a good defensive team but when it doesn't they lose to teams like Missouri State. What I'm most pissed about is we should counter that by moving guys to other positions that weren't scouted. Let Ron play point more, then move him to the 3 spot. Everybody on our staff for the last 12 years knows their defensive strategy and just assume we will eventually make shots so we continue to play guys on the floor the way they were scouted.

Comment

• We sucked. We have sucked quite a bit this year, but it's soul searching time. Let's f-ing go. Ron and Fred- this is your team- do something about it.

Comment

• Originally posted by jrschh View Post
        The first half it looked like the game plan was to get Shaq/Grady involved in the offense and we were dominating the inside. The second half we went to the high ball screen offense which took Shaq/Grady from the post. I was screaming at the TV for the Shocks to go back to focusing on the post.

I know that UNI started double teaming the post (w/ Wessel's man) the few times we got it in there the second half. The adjustment should've been for Wessel to cut to the bucket and the post player look for him on the opposite block (similar to the assist Shaq had to Wessel yesterday). The adjustment shouldn't have been to go completely away from looking to get the ball in the post and just jack up shots!
        At the end of regulation, Shaq was standing under the basket with his man blocked out pretty well when FVV when for his acrobatic miracle finger roll whatever. He was right next to FVV as he was flying through the air. Would've been an easy two, and the end of the game.

Comment

• I don't know what it is about the 3-pt shooting. It's hard to believe that every single player had an off-game. And most of the 3-pt shots weren't that close. I wonder if playing all that tough, hard defense is doing something to the player's shooting?

Comment

• Did the Shockers wanna prove Jerry Palm wrong? Lose and see if we still make it in. Well say goodbye to a single digit seed...

Comment

• Hate hearing the words "NIT" come out of coaches mouth. I really hope we make it in the dance.

Comment

• Originally posted by KCShockerFan View Post
                Hate hearing the words "NIT" come out of coaches mouth. I really hope we make it in the dance.
                I'm sorry but that looked like an NIT team today. Actually, for 2 days.
                Deuces Valley.
                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Anybody remember when SIU played "in your jock" defense and their offense consisted of Tatum dribbling around the perimeter until jacking up a 3 late in the shot clock? Does that look familiar?

Maybe spending a lot of practice time on D can leave little practice time to fine tune an offense.
                  The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                  We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Hate hearing the words "NIT" come out of coaches mouth. I really hope we make it in the dance.
                    Thought the same thing--those three letters should not have rolled off his tongue so easily---in fact, he shouldn't have even have said them at this point and time in a post season press interview. Not good politics.

Comment

• Originally posted by Singeril View Post
                      Sorry, those of you who are telling guys to "calm down" need to get some of the passion that those who aren't afraid to mention the deficiencies of this team have. The team needs more of that passion as well. Will yourselves to win!!! If you want to be a top rated team year in and year out, you have to win big games. We blew three big games this year in nearly the exact same manner. We couldn't shoot from the outside and we couldn't penetrate the middle. The same mistakes occurred over and over. Coach didn't make the adjustments that needed to be made. FVV did not have a great season---and played poorly in this tournament. His floor management was horrible at times. Yes, he had injuries early--but, he laced them up for every game since the middle of December--nearly 3 months ago. We've only had one player injured since mid-December. FVV has had flashes of excellence--and horrible stretches of mediocrity or worse. It is not disloyal to your team to mention this. It is not being disloyal to call out the coach---to just ignore it and be Polly-Anna-ish is not being a strong fan either. Fans are asked to do their "jobs" at the games. Players and Coaches need to give it all they've got all the time as well. That is how you become a consistent winner on the national level. We have been far from that this most disappointing season. Our pre-season ranking gave us a lot of hope---hope that stemmed from the win over KU last year and three very fine seasons. This was to be a great season. It's been far from that. Nothing will get me to stop being a huge Shocker fan--I have been for 35 years. I'm a proud Shocker alum. But, I expect much better performances and far better effort.
                      yes, but wait, there's more. that november tournament in florida should count against them (some think the ncaa tournament selection committee is going to overlook that debacle.. they shouldn't).

wsu doesn't look too good for the valley today, now do they?

Comment

I totally agree. I don't understand what happened between Senior Day and Friday. It's like we forgot how to play Shocker basketball.

Comment

• If they are going to shoot 24 3s, then let connor shoot all of them. He won't miss 22. Evan might.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockers5150 View Post
                            If they are going to shoot 24 3s, then let connor shoot all of them. He won't miss 22. Evan might.
                            I was amazed at how many times it looked like we designed a play for a kick out 3 to Evan.

Comment

• OK, we run the table (this game + 1 more and get a 5 seed)
                              Instead, we lose this game, not by 20 not by 10 but rather in OT to the MVC Tournament Champion (yes, they will romp tomorrow) and we are all of the sudden out of the BIG DANCE? I gotta flash the WHOA NELLIE card here.

My SNetters of Doom, we got the winkwink Elgin treatment here. It was OBVIOUS, wasn't it?

Give props to UNI for their outstanding 57 pt explosion of offense and root for them to beat Kentucky or Villanova in the Big Dance.

We got next for the team who must not be named.

Enjoy!!!

May the Marshall be with you.
                              For some the glass is half full and for others half empty. My glass is out of ice.
                              - said no one ever...

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
                                I was amazed at how many times it looked like we designed a play for a kick out 3 to Evan.
                                Absolutely fascinating play-calling.

There's a reason why nobody was ever within 5 feet of him.
                                Deuces Valley.
                                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Working...
                                X