No announcement yet.

Absolutely pathetic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Student Tix should be claimed day before, that student registered. If they don't show, or that ticket isn't used, no more tickets. Maybe the school needs to do a better job of announcing 'available tickets' via Twitter/Facebook. I know a lot of people that don't even try to get tickets because it's assumed all games are 'sold out'. I've tried to tell them to check with the ticket office the day of. Section 117, top... we're talking about you.

Comment

How hard can it be to make sure the 1000 GA seats are filled every game? Oversell, sell them at a discount, do whatever it takes. If I were the athletic department I would be embarrassed to see those empty seats. Blame the students all you want but everybody knows it's been an issue in the past. The only explanation I can come up with is they just don't care.

Comment

Are student tickets free indefinitely or will that program end when the renovation debt is paid off and therefore student fees are not being used to service it?

In the meantime, perhaps there is a way to rework the program to reduce the number of student tickets available and sell the remaining tickets as GA from the start. It's not like the students are using the damn things anyway, and there is a market for GA tickets. We need butts in those seats and we can no longer count on students to fill them.

I'm kind of done with the students at this point.
        "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

Although their numbers have dwindled the last two games I will say the students have shown some more creativity and life lately. The few hundred that show up anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
            I understand your point, and while I don't completely disagree, it's thinking like this that gets some of us riled up. As fans, we certainly aren't entitled to greatness. And GREAT this program is right now, and it won't be that way forever, and it most certainly wasn't just 15-20 years ago. Not soaking in every second of these guys is something many fans will one day regret.
            Don't preach to me. There isn't anyone on this board who has seen more bad basketball in Levitt Arena and is enjoying the ride more. Where were all you "fans" when the Shocks were winning in Greensboro? Not sitting beside me. The bandwagon was a two wheeled cart back then.

What I'm telling you is that if the product on the court stays the way it is, people WILL become apathetic. Maybe not this year, but soon. And Gregg Marshall came to WSU partly because the MVC was a multi-bid league. Is it now?

Oh, and let's have some fun at the games. The band was playing the low brass cheer last night after a nice shocker fun and a LOY timeout and the marketing department was putting on another inane shooting contest with Don Hall blathering in the background. In case you people don't know, the entire game is scripted - no emotional outbursts allowed, no spontaneous excitement.
            Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker85 View Post
              Don't preach to me. There isn't anyone on this board who has seen more bad basketball in Levitt Arena and is enjoying the ride more. Where were all you "fans" when the Shocks were winning in Greensboro? Not sitting beside me. The bandwagon was a two wheeled cart back then.

What I'm telling you is that if the product on the court stays the way it is, people WILL become apathetic. Maybe not this year, but soon. And Gregg Marshall came to WSU partly because the MVX was a multi-bid league. Is it now?

Oh, and let's have some fun at the games. The band was playing the low brass cheer last night after a nice shocker fun and a LOY timeout and the marketing department was putting on another inane shooting contest with Don Hall blathering in the background. In case you people don't know, the entire game is scripted - no emotional outbursts allowed, no spontaneous excitement.
              I thought it was cool the way the band continued to play through the stupid promotion. More of that!

Comment

By the way, in case all of you have forgotten, WSU exists because of the students. Wouldn't kicking them out be somewhat ironic. Or is it moronic.
                Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
                  I thought it was cool the way the band continued to play through the stupid promotion. More of that!
                  Yeah I did too.
                  ShockerNet is a rat infested cess pool.

Comment

I wish I could be a corporate sponsor. I would write WSU a check and say for my sponsorship no stupid contests just have the band play, the cheerleaders cheer and pump the crowd up. And put on the video board brought to you by [insert name of my imaginary corporation] we love the Shockers!
                    ShockerNet is a rat infested cess pool.

Comment

Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
                      How hard can it be to make sure the 1000 GA seats are filled every game? Oversell, sell them at a discount, do whatever it takes. If I were the athletic department I would be embarrassed to see those empty seats. Blame the students all you want but everybody knows it's been an issue in the past. The only explanation I can come up with is they just don't care.
                      That's the thing .. The tickets are Sold ... its not the administration that is causing the issue. Its the students that pick up the tickets then don't come. They either are getting them to try to sell, or they just pick them up "in case" nothing else is going on. I think the free student tickets need to be tied to their ID. You register a week ahead of time. It ties it to your ID. If you don't use the ticket X number of times, you lose your rights for that year. All tickets not claimed a week ahead of time, get converted to GA.

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker-maniac View Post
                        I wish I could be a corporate sponsor. I would write WSU a check and say for my sponsorship no stupid contests just have the band play, the cheerleaders cheer and pump the crowd up. And put on the video board brought to you by [insert name of my imaginary corporation] we love the Shockers!
                        I was thinking about that last night during the Ashley Furniture shootout. It came immediately after the Lob to Kelly. The band was playing over the top of them. I actually felt like it was more negative advertising than anything. The fact that they were doing that during a high excitement part of the game made me not want to shop with them.

Comment

And here I thought this thread was going to be about how Missouri State ran off its best player last year (Marshall), and is doing the same this year (Kendrix).

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                            3) Somebody referred to "most" other school's student bodies...how many traditional full time students attend WSU...that AREN'T student athletes?
                            The average age of WSU student is about 3 years older than the average KU or K-State student, and from the full-time/part-time split perspective WSU is about 10-15 percentage points towards the part-time side of the equation contrasted with same. WSU is overall roughly 70% traditional full-time and 30% non-traditional part-time. Living on campus and/or being in a frat isn't necessarily a requirement to being a traditional student.

Speaking from my own experience, the campus is much busier and more heavily populated by 18 to 20-somethings during the say 8-3 period everyday, than it is during the evening classes with the more varied demos.

There's an annual report that each school must provide as a requirement of the DOE, that contains loads of student body metrics and demographics. Can't recall what they call them right now, but they are buried somewhere on every school's website.
                            Last edited by SHOCKvalue; January 28, 2016, 09:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker85 View Post
                              By the way, in case all of you have forgotten, WSU exists because of the students. Wouldn't kicking them out be somewhat ironic. Or is it moronic.
                              Everybody wants them to show up.

Unfortunately, they aren't showing up. So essentially, they're kicking their own selves out.
                              Deuces Valley.
                              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

I am not sure if it would be feasible, but just give out GA tickets the night of the game. Students/General Public: students get free tickets, public would be required to pay, but it is first come first serve. Would still allow students to make the game if they really care, but should create enough competition that the house is full every game.

On the note of our games being absurd, yes. I want blowouts, but at the same time part of me wouldn't mind actually having a somewhat competitive game Sunday. Now, do not get that confused with me wanting to win that game by 20. Our games are just, boring is not the word I am looking for, perhaps unengaging after points. I am slightly concerned about whether we will be prepared for a tight game for 40 minutes in March. Last night, the announcers, I was unable to attend, were talking about how we need to be considering putting in the bench around the 4:30 mark, which Marshall did about the same time they were discussing, but on the other hand, we at least need our guys prepared to play a full 40 minute game if necessary.

Comment

Working...
                                X