Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

shameful

Comment

How much of that area is actually student section and how much is general admission? I know there were a lot of empty up above the band, but not sure whose those are. I have to agree with Fever though. I've not been as disappointed with the crowd on a regular basis as some on this forum, but tonight I thought was the best it's been in quite a while, even while it was a blowout. The only thing that I was really disappointed by were the thousands of people leaving early. IMO, the team is there until the clock shows zeroes, I should be too.
      "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

Originally posted by ShockdaWorld View Post
        How much of that area is actually student section and how much is general admission?
        It is all student section. If the students don't "sell out" the section, then the remainder are sold to the public as GA.

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker-maniac View Post
          I would agree with that. There are a lot of demands on a student-athlete and if they want to excel academically it is going to require a lot of sacrifices and passing up on things that they might otherwise enjoy doing. Because of these demands it really does require budgeting their time wisely.
          Mention the Honor Roll group verbally. They don't need to attend. They have studying to do. That is how I'd solve it. When 90 percent of the team leave, they obviously need to study. This happens every year.

Comment

Isn't everyone bored with playing Valley teams? Why would students be different? I've had season tickets for 20+ years and I enjoy non-conference games much more than MVC games. That situation is pathetic. Please, Dr. Bardo, fix what ails us. Give us conference teams to get excited about.

Comment

Originally posted by ISASO View Post
              Isn't everyone bored with playing Valley teams? Why would students be different? I've had season tickets for 20+ years and I enjoy non-conference games much more than MVC games. That situation is pathetic. Please, Dr. Bardo, fix what ails us. Give us conference teams to get excited about.
              Excitement of home games is the only logical argument for leaving the Valley. It is very difficult to get excited for more than one or two home conference games a year.

Comment

1) The students get the tickets because they are paying the fees, most notably to help renovate the arena. 2) I wonder if the student athletes enjoy being recognized like they were last night...maybe someone should ask them. If they aren't, just do a video or something and let us applaud their efforts during a timeout or halftime. While I particularly enjoy seeing all those kids succeed off the court, if they would rather not be there, no skin off my nose.

3) Somebody referred to "most" other school's student bodies...how many traditional full time students attend WSU...that AREN'T student athletes? 4)Yes, I'd like them to do a few different things to fill the GA, but still, I think it's evident the demand isn't quite as strong as some think.

@The Mad Hatter: makes his point brilliantly.

Comment

Originally posted by ISASO View Post
                  This.

These games are over before half time. The competition right now is just plain lousy. I know this is heresy, but a couple programs the caliber of Creighton would be nice. WSU doesn't even have a contentious rivalry to spice things up anymore.

Are these programs even trying to improve?
                  Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker85 View Post
                    This.

These games are over before half time. The competition right now is just plain lousy. I know this is heresy, but a couple programs the caliber of Creighton would be nice. WSU doesn't even have a contentious rivalry to spice things up anymore.
                    I understand your point, and while I don't completely disagree, it's thinking like this that gets some of us riled up. As fans, we certainly aren't entitled to greatness. And GREAT this program is right now, and it won't be that way forever, and it most certainly wasn't just 15-20 years ago. Not soaking in every second of these guys is something many fans will one day regret.

Comment

Maybe I just like Shocker basketball but last night was a fun time to be in the arena. Shocker basketball at the level we are playing now is fun to watch. We weren't good for the entire 40 minutes but we were almost that good. In our past glory years, we never played with the efficiency we are playing now. Thank you Coach Marshall and the rest of the team.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
                        I'm going to guess that the reason those students successfully balance their athletic commitments with the schoolwork is by spending their evenings doing their homework and getting to bed at a reasonable time. It seems kind of counterproductive to require them to show up for this game to be recognized for those habit then get mad at them for not staying around for a midweek game that started an hour later than usual.
                        I guess I kind of disagree...it's ONE game that ended at 10! Balance your time wisely!

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                          I wonder if the student athletes enjoy being recognized like they were last night...maybe someone should ask them. If they aren't, just do a video or something and let us applaud their efforts during a timeout or halftime. While I particularly enjoy seeing all those kids succeed off the court, if they would rather not be there, no skin off my nose.
                          I agree with this.

Comment

Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
                            Maybe I just like Shocker basketball but last night was a fun time to be in the arena. Shocker basketball at the level we are playing now is fun to watch. We weren't good for the entire 40 minutes but we were almost that good. In our past glory years, we never played with the efficiency we are playing now. Thank you Coach Marshall and the rest of the team.
                            This.

Comment

There's a strange phenomenon where some people care more about watching the opponent than watching a Top 25 team in home jerseies. It's beyond weird.

I get the conference sucks and more competition would be great but it ain't changing anytime soon. If that's a deal breaker for you, then you should probably give up your tickets to people that actually wanna be there for 40 minutes no matter what. As Doc stated, people are taking for granted the current state of the program and some of them are being a little too picky for what they wanna watch and don't watch. I suppose we can go back to the 90s again, where games were close and competitive and rack some more Ls.
                              Deuces Valley.
                              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by Shockthemonkey View Post
                                It was more full before halftime but never full. The baseball team and track team were up there. After they presented the athletes with high GPAs at halftime they didn't return. Must have had homework!
                                I found that a bit annoying. It was a mass exodus. Make them hide out in the practice gym, get their recognition, then leave, but leave the seats for fans. I really like Intrust Bank Games.... everyone there WANTS to be there.

Comment

Working...
                                X