No announcement yet.

McDuffie at the Stretch 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would give the edge to MM in that he has more assists, steals and fewer turn overs and played fewer minutes. I look at that at valuing each possession.

Comment

Originally posted by wsushox1 View Post
      Our best AA chance isn't even playing right now...
      Well that's pretty vague. lol
      "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

he doesn't have any worse handles than early did.. but he's only a freshman.

Comment

Took a look at some of the advanced stats on KenPom (I won't post the stats themselves on here since it's a subscription).

Places where McDuffie is better:
          Effective FG%
          True Shooting %
          Assist Rate
          Steal %
          3 point %

Places where 12-13 Cle is better:
          Offensive Rebound %
          Defensive Rebound %
          Turnover Rate
          Fouls Drawn per 40 min
          Free Throw %
          2 point %

Not surprising given what we already know. Cle is the better rebounder and finisher, Markis is the better passer and 3 point shooter. Keep in mind too that team didn't have too many reliable bigs besides Carl Hall, which would probably explain the rebounding % a little bit. Their overall offensive rating is identical. Defensively, Cle was okay, but I think Markis is a little better and has more lateral quickness. He's certainly got a longer frame.

The future is bright for MM. I have a feeling that when we make the tournament, he'll play a big role.
          "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Originally posted by wsushox1 View Post
            Our best AA chance isn't even playing right now...
            I would say either Payton, Landry or Markus might all have a chance.

Don't forget, Allen went to Springfield Lamphier and played 10+ minutes per game for A&M as a freshman and had reasonable stats on a team that is either close to the lead or leading the SEC.

Springfield Lamphier has the reputation of consistently being the best downstate program in Illinois.

With all the young talent we have, I think we're really, really going to surprise people next year.

It's very possible we could be better than we are this year, but we won't know until next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
              Took a look at some of the advanced stats on KenPom (I won't post the stats themselves on here since it's a subscription).

Places where McDuffie is better:
              Effective FG%
              True Shooting %
              Assist Rate
              Steal %
              3 point %

Places where 12-13 Cle is better:
              Offensive Rebound %
              Defensive Rebound %
              Turnover Rate
              Fouls Drawn per 40 min
              Free Throw %
              2 point %

Not surprising given what we already know. Cle is the better rebounder and finisher, Markis is the better passer and 3 point shooter. Keep in mind too that team didn't have too many reliable bigs besides Carl Hall, which would probably explain the rebounding % a little bit. Their overall offensive rating is identical. Defensively, Cle was okay, but I think Markis is a little better and has more lateral quickness. He's certainly got a longer frame.

The future is bright for MM. I have a feeling that when we make the tournament, he'll play a big role.
              I would assume that Cle's stats there are for the entire season. Or did you parse out the first 17 games. Just sayin that I belive MM's last 15-18 games will be better than his first games, just due to learning curve and fitting in and Fred being there for all of those.
              "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
              ---------------------------------------
              Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
              "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
              "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
                I would assume that Cle's stats there are for the entire season. Or did you parse out the first 17 games. Just sayin that I belive MM's last 15-18 games will be better than his first games, just due to learning curve and fitting in and Fred being there for all of those.
                Yeah. I forgot to mention that. Very true. Especially since a lot of these games will be against Valley opponents. The stats are for the entire 12-13 season.
                "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Originally posted by ShockdaWorld View Post
                  Well that's pretty vague. lol
                  He's talking about Landry. I agree. Shamet and McDuffie might just be the next Baker and VanVleet. Conner and Shaq ain't half bad neither.
                  Livin the dream

Comment

If you watch the video from the "You Are Gonna Love This Video" thread, MM is doing the guard drills with the 1 and 2 guards. If he keeps that up it will make him a nightmare matchup for anybody with as quick as he is.

Comment

• Looking at Mcduffies game and comparing to Cle and seeing some similarities should bring a smile to alot of Shocker fans faces. I like the fact that he has such a sweet shot and as a freshman is hitting such a nice % from three. Thats going to really make him tough to guard, he has the quickness to beat people off the dribble, he's going to be somebody's worst nightmare in time...

Comment

• Regardless of which position he ends up playing the most, I think McDuffie is most like Cle in a very important regard.

He is a matchup advantage for WSU on the national scale.

As great as Ron and FVV are (and they are really great), they are not a matchup problem for most teams. Teams have to figure out how to deal with them, but it usually doesn't involve interesting personnel decisions. Cle was a matchup problem, even for Top10 type teams. There were simply very few people in the country that could match his size in the post, yet were agile and athletic enough to chase him around the perimeter and open court. It forced opponents to make a 'pick-your-poison' decision. McDuffie is becoming that matchup nightmare. He has multiple games where he has scored in double figures while making 3+ 3PT shots, and multiple games where he has scored in double figures while making or attempting 0 3PT shots. The scout is not yet out on McDuffie, but I think that's partly because coaches aren't quite sure what to put on the scouting report other than 'uh-oh.'

Comment

• A little off topic but does anyone know of another freshman in the MVC that would be a candidate for freshman of the the year?

Comment

• i watched a replay of wsu-uni.. mcduffie actually handles the ball better than cle. see: mcduffie strip the ball and go coast to coast for the slam/facial of jesperson. or watch him drive, draw the defense and throw a beautiful pass to shaqnasty for the easy basket in the second half.

Comment

• Originally posted by Overtime View Post
                              A little off topic but does anyone know of another freshman in the MVC that would be a candidate for freshman of the the year?
                              I don't think there are any as good as Duff, but there's a chance that someone off the freshman dominated teams gets it based just on statistics and the fact that everybody else is tired of WSU winning everything, regardless if they are the best or not. Ex. See Tekele Cotton
                              "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

• 5 of Bradley's top 6 (in terms of minutes played) are Freshman. I don't think any stand out enough as of yet, but they get the minutes to have potential over the 2nd half of conference play.

Right now, only SIU's Armon Fletcher seems to have comparable stats to MM, and I would still put Fletcher a distant 2nd.

I really think MM will win the award this year.

Comment

Working...
                                X