McDuffie at the Stretch 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McDuffie at the Stretch 4

Markis has been great this year! He shoots, he drives, he passes, rebounds, and plays defense. He's a 6-8+ wing capable of guarding opposing 2s. Due to foul trouble MM got some run at the 4. He did well against the stronger Church by basically using his speed to front him the entire possession. This allowed a backcourt of Fred, Conner, and Ron. Zach could be substituted in for any of the three as needed. Is this where the Shockers need to go as the season goes on, or do we keep rolling with Evan/Rashard?

Of course the true purpose of starting this thread was to say nana nana boo boo to whoever kept saying MM would play the 2 before he ever played the 4! I may not have won the powerball last night, but today I won the Internet.
    Livin the dream

I love the idea of Duff at the 4. The kid has a lot of Cle in his game. Cle wasn't big and strong either (more than Duff, but still outweighed on most occasions), but did some great things for us at the 4. I think Duff could do the same. Not to mention opening up a spot for another highly skilled perimeter player on the floor.
    "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

Some guys just play much stronger than their physical stature. Tayshaun Prince, Kevin Durant and Steph Curry were all labeled with somewhat limited upside at early stages of their careers unless they could bulk up. I have seen little evidence that McDuffie's game suffers because of weight. I'm not convinced he'll look that much different 3 years from now and also not convinced it'll make that much difference.

Edit to add Durant couldn't even get 185 up once at the pre-draft combine in 2007.
      Last edited by Keyser Soze; January 14, 2016, 11:09 PM.

Comment

I've been saying we need a stretch four for a while now. Having two big men on the floor at the same time, who can't shoot the three ball, was/is not conducive in today's college game. I'm all for McDuffie at the four.

Comment

Originally posted by Keyser Soze View Post
          Some guys just play much stronger than their physical stature. Tayshaun Prince, Kevin Durant and Steph Curry were all labeled with somewhat limited upside at early stages of their careers unless they could bulk up. I have seen little evidence that McDuffie's game suffers because of weight. I'm not convinced he'll look that much different 3 years from now and also not convinced it'll make that much difference.

Edit to add Durant couldn't even get 185 up once at the pre-draft combine in 2007.
          Kevin Durant was a one and done talent. He has added some weight and strength since he was a Freshman.

Comment

If Shamet returns, starting McDuffie in place of Wessel with Landry and Conner off the bench on the perimeter and Anton off the bench in the post might be the right 9 man rotation.
            Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post
              If Shamet returns, starting McDuffie in place of Wessel with Landry and Conner off the bench on the perimeter and Anton off the bench in the post might be the right 9 man rotation.
              We're kinda deep, huh? That means no RK, Tom Bush, RN. I love that Marshall has options. Getting Landry back would/will be huge. It'll be interesting to see how that plays out.

Comment

Perfect evidence of this is all over the NBA. Draymond Green being the prime example, although he's certainly thicker. But he can shoot the three, plays great defense, and is also a threat down low.

Also why Cleanthony Early was such a force. Matchup nightmare for most college teams, especially in the Valley.
                "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

I don't know if coach will pull Evan out of the starting lineup. But increasing MM time by using him at the 4 and 3 sure looks good.
                  In the fast lane

Comment

I'll eat some crow. I didn't think we'd play MM at the power forward spot.

I am not sure how much my belief has changed, since it was based on foul trouble. I still think we are more likely to see MM at the 3 and ZB at the 4, even though MM is taller. That said, MM did an excellent job while he was in, so we will probably see more of it in the future. No matter what position he plays, he's going to be a force.

Comment

I think that McDuffie ought to be starting, or at the very least, playing more minutes.

McDuffie has been playing good D an I like his hustle.

He's not a liability on offense. Having him on the floor flips the script as opposed to our current starter at the 4, as he is a good scorer and can't be sloughed off on when he has the ball, as he will always be a scoring threat.

Lastly, the development of other underclass bigs (as well as having Grady) gives us sufficient bodies to rotate in to rest or cover for foul trouble.

Comment

I thought Markeef McDuffie was 6'8" not stretch 4, someone call Sports Daily and ask Bruce.

Comment

I've been saying all along that the only reason Evan starts is because we don't have a reliable 4 to take his spot. That may be changing.

Comment

How does MM at the 4 translate on the defensive end--he has been very good guarding wings and shooters and I don't want to lose that. ZB playing longer at the 3 certainly compensates defensively but ZB has on a few occasions had trouble staying on the floor.
                            Shocker Nation, NYC

Comment

We are evolving. EW deserves to start at the four based on all he has given our program but
                              MM probably deserves more minutes and is starting to get them. MM can/will play the three
                              and as a stretch four going forward. By the end of the year when LS returns and the next
                              couple years we will be loaded with good perimeter players which means MM will be the next
                              Cle as a stretch four. If EH can improve defensively ( he needs to ) he will be a nice back up.

Comment

Working...
                              X