No announcement yet.

McDuffie at the Stretch 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Next season, Markeesch...err....Markis might get a lot of run at the 4.

PG - Conner
    SG - Landry
    G/F - Zach B.
    G/F - Markis
    F - Shaq

That's one athletic lineup. They have to respect the shooter at every position (sans Shaq).

As of now, I think it might be time to give Martise...damn...Markis a shot at the starting lineup. I don't want to kill ZB's confidence, but Duffman has been killer lately and I'd like to see them feed the hot hand.
    The Assman

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post
      Markis has been great this year! He shoots, he drives, he passes, rebounds, and plays defense. He's a 6-8+ wing capable of guarding opposing 2s. Due to foul trouble MM got some run at the 4. He did well against the stronger Church by basically using his speed to front him the entire possession. This allowed a backcourt of Fred, Conner, and Ron. Zach could be substituted in for any of the three as needed. Is this where the Shockers need to go as the season goes on, or do we keep rolling with Evan/Rashard?

Of course the true purpose of starting this thread was to say nana nana boo boo to whoever kept saying MM would play the 2 before he ever played the 4! I may not have won the powerball last night, but today I won the Internet.
      He can play four positions. Some better than others.

If Coach Marshall was in a bind, Markis can play the five in a bail out situation. Even there, he might surprise, weight notwithstanding.

His best talent might be instincts.
      "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Originally posted by SHURTZtheHERTZ View Post
        That's one athletic lineup. They have to respect the shooter at every position (sans Shaq).
        Although not a three point shooter, even Shaq has developed a good looking bank shot.

Comment

Originally posted by SHURTZtheHERTZ View Post
          Next season, Markeesch...err....Markis might get a lot of run at the 4.

PG - Conner
          SG - Landry
          G/F - Zach B.
          G/F - Markis
          F - Shaq

As of now, I think it might be time to give Martise...damn...Markis a shot at the starting lineup. I don't want to kill ZB's confidence, but Duffman has been killer lately and I'd like to see them feed the hot hand.
          "Ya'll respect the one who got shot; I respect the shooter" - Jay-Z

And I would much rather run out ZB/MM at the 3/4 for most of the game than any combo with EW.
          "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Delusionality (new word?) is setting in. Evan will continue to start. MM will play more 4 as the season moves ahead. Next year, he may play a nice amount of stretch 4, (he will play the 3 too), and maybe even start there, because we have so many very good guard options (Allen will be a nice role player with his outside shot for example) and you don't want MM to not get his 25 minutes or so as he improves and gains experience. He will just be too good.

Comment

I think the starting lineup probably remains the same all year, just with ZB and MM being interchangeable as the starting 3. That could change if there's some huge match-up edge to be gained by starting MM at the 4. I hate to say it, because I like the kid, and I really like his game (other than not being able to finish), but I think MM is going to be taking minutes away more from Rashard than anyone else. He has shown that he deserves more minutes, and what better way to get them than to have him backing up the 3 AND the 4? Also gives us the option to sub Conner in at the 2 and move Ron to the 3 as matchups dictate.
              "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
                Delusionality (new word?) is setting in. Evan will continue to start. MM will play more 4 as the season moves ahead. Next year, he may play a nice amount of stretch 4, (he will play the 3 too), and maybe even start there, because we have so many very good guard options (Allen will be a nice role player with his outside shot for example) and you don't want MM to not get his 25 minutes or so as he improves and gains experience. He will just be too good.
                Nice. You can't politely disagree with people, you start out by insulting them.

Typical EW groupie. MM>EW by every metric, and is a freshman as opposed to a 5th year senior, so there's his upside as well. EW has no upside potential.

Comment

Originally posted by shocka khan View Post
                  Nice. You can't politely disagree with people, you start out by insulting them.

Typical EW groupie. MM>EW by every metric, and is a freshman as opposed to a 5th year senior, so there's his upside as well. EW has no upside potential.
                  You seem to want a confrontation. I didn't call anyone out. As a group, most of us agree that MM is the future. However, I am simply predicting that Gregg Marshall isn't going to pull the plug on someone who is the epitome of what Gregg expects from his kids. Toughness, smart play, great defense, selflessness, rebounding, getting loose balls, getting hands on loose rebounds and loose balls that keep the ball alive even if he can't get to them, etc. Maybe MM's minutes increase, but Evan will continue to start and play good minutes imo.

You are a tool against Evan and my prediction is that Gregg disagrees with you.

Comment

Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
                    You seem to want a confrontation. I didn't call anyone out. As a group, most of us agree that MM is the future. However, I am simply predicting that Gregg Marshall isn't going to pull the plug on someone who is the epitome of what Gregg expects from his kids. Toughness, smart play, great defense, selflessness, rebounding, getting loose balls, getting hands on loose rebounds and loose balls that keep the ball alive even if he can't get to them, etc. Maybe MM's minutes increase, but Evan will continue to start and play good minutes imo.

You are a tool against Evan and my prediction is that Gregg disagrees with you.
                    Definition of delusional:
                    4. Psychiatry. a fixed false belief that is resistant to reason or confrontation with actual fact:
                    a paranoid delusion.

I'd say you were insulting anyone and everyone disagreeing with you. Do you do that to everyone you disagree with?

Comment

Originally posted by jdshock View Post
                      I'll eat some crow. I didn't think we'd play MM at the power forward spot.

I am not sure how much my belief has changed, since it was based on foul trouble. I still think we are more likely to see MM at the 3 and ZB at the 4, even though MM is taller. That said, MM did an excellent job while he was in, so we will probably see more of it in the future. No matter what position he plays, he's going to be a force.
                      He ended up 8-9 for 16 points. I think those stats alone are going to buy him some extra time at the 4. Especially considering the lack of offensive production we normally get out of the 4.

Comment

Note I don't want a confrontation with you, shock monster, I'm simply pointing out that if your intent was to make a point, you did it very poorly.

Comment

It wouldn't surprise me if McDuffie gets Player of the Week before the season is over.

Comment

I think his minutes will continue to increase, prolly stealing some from the foul-prone Brown at the 3, and some from the offensively-challenged EW at the 4.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockdaWorld View Post
                              I hate to say it, because I like the kid, and I really like his game (other than not being able to finish), but I think MM is going to be taking minutes away more from Rashard than anyone else. He has shown that he deserves more minutes, and what better way to get them than to have him backing up the 3 AND the 4?
                              I agree with this. I can also see Rashard being a fill-in at the 5 as needed. He's a little undersized but is a similar player to Carl Hall - just hasn't figured out how to get the putbacks to fall in. 3G said after the game that McDuffie was the only one capable of finishing under the basket. I don't see how 3G doesn't do a little more experimenting the next few games.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                                I've been saying all along that the only reason Evan starts is because we don't have a reliable 4 to take his spot. That may be changing.
                                Maybe or maybe Marshall sees a bit of himself in Evan. Just a guy that's going to give his all, wants to contribute, and be a part of it all.

Comment

Working...
                                X