Redshirting May Not Be a Player Option This Year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Redshirting May Not Be a Player Option This Year

This may well have been posted elsewhere. If so, my apologies but I thought it was interesting that 3G may depart from what has been his normal decision making process regarding who will redshirt:

Paul's guesses for possible redshirts: Tyrone Taylor, Rauno Nurger and maybe Eric Hamilton.

Also:
    Bradley’s roster took another hit on Tuesday when it announced senior center Mike Shaw will end his career because of back injuries. Shaw was one of three returning players for the Braves, whose roster includes one senior, one sophomore and 10 freshmen.

Paul needs to re-phrase........seriously. We have "one talented walk-on and 3 other walk-ons"? SMDH

Comment

Sounds like 3G expects Halloween to offer up some interesting experience for his newbies:

Some of these guys think they’re going to play a lot. They’re going to be on our third team.”

The Shockers scrimmage Oklahoma State on Saturday (no fans, no media) at Koch Arena in what will probably be a reality check for a few players.

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
        Paul needs to re-phrase........seriously. We have "one talented walk-on and 3 other walk-ons"? SMDH
        Meh. It is what it is. Yes, Conner is a walk-on, but he is not a WALK-ON. The other three are true WALK-ONS.
        78-65

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
          Meh. It is what it is. Yes, Conner is a walk-on, but he is not a WALK-ON. The other three are true WALK-ONS.
          Although, I do wonder exactly how "walk-on" Bretty Barney will be when all is said and done. You never know. A big body is a big body.

I suppose to achieve the greatest amount of accuracy, Paul S. could have said "We have one known talented walk-on, one human cigar, one walk-on who can reverse dunk the ball and one 6'9" potentially talented center."

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Stalwart View Post
            Although, I do wonder exactly how "walk-on" Bretty Barney will be when all is said and done. You never know. A big body is a big body.

I suppose to achieve the greatest amount of accuracy, Paul S. could have said "We have one known talented walk-on, one human cigar, one walk-on who can reverse dunk the ball and one 6'9" potentially talented center."
            Not just reverse dunk, but do it with quite a bit of pizzazz. I still firmly believe that kid would be on scholarship right now at most of the MVC schools not named WSU.
            "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

Originally posted by ShockdaWorld View Post
              Not just reverse dunk, but do it with quite a bit of pizzazz. I still firmly believe that kid would be on scholarship right now at most of the MVC schools not named WSU.
              Damn. I had never thought of J.R. Simon in that way before, but you are right now that I think about it.
              People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Just wonder if both Hamilton and Nurger will redshirt or just one of them. IMO, if only 1 of those 2 redshirt it would be Hamilton. That would still leave Shaq, Grady, BWam, McDuffie, and Barney for the 4-5 knowing that Wessel and Brown can also play the 4. I also think Taylor might be called on to redshirt and benefit from it. I'm still not sure yet if McDuffie will be a 3 or a 4 at this level, or both. I hope he gets ample playing time because MM should prove to be a very special player in due time.
                Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

PG - VanVleet, Frankamp
                  SG - Baker, Shamet
                  SF - Wessel, Brown
                  PF - Grady, Kelly
                  C - Morris/Wamukota

You need one guard and one forward on the bench for depth, and Taylor, McDuffie, Hamilton, Nurger looking to fill those roles. I would expect Nurger and McDuffie to fill those, although early in the season Taylor would be the most valuable guard. That leads me to believe Hamilton will RS, with one of the other three being a second possibility.
                  Livin the dream

Comment

Nurger is in the most crowded class

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                      Paul's guesses for possible redshirts: Tyrone Taylor, Rauno Nurger and maybe Eric Hamilton.
                      If Nurger redshirts, he would be 26 in the first month of his senior season.

How many people seriously expect Nurger to be playing basketball at WSU at 26?

IMO, Marshall's statement was "I just don’t want to waste their year." Redshirting Nurger or not isn't wasting a year either way, because unless he's a fringe draft pick, that guy will be playing in Europe at 26. He'd be crazy not to.
                      Originally posted by BleacherReport
                      Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

When HCGM has talked about needing Garrett Stutz his Freshman year and not Redshirting him, he talked about how much more valuable GS would have been as a 5th year player.

I don't see Hamilton, Nurger, or Taylor being that much more valuable as 5th year players than as they are this year. That leaves Shamet and McDuffie. We need Landry this year, and from all accounts he's ready to play.

So as talented as he is, that leaves McDuffie for me.

He would be buried at the 3 or 4, I believe he's the youngest Freshman, he needs to put on weight and would have much more value as a 5th year player.

It's a great day to be a Shocker if you can redshirt Top 100 players.
                        "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                        -John Wooden

Comment

If they call the games tight(as Paul suggests), depth will be very important. I don't know who redshirts but we will an 11 player rotation. Building depth will be extra important, and we will play 3 five men most games. Anton playing the 5 could increase the chance of a redshirt of Nurger or Hamilton.

Comment

Consider Grady's history of knee problems. Morris has had various maladies. Bush is an unproven "season long" commodity. We certainly don't want guys giving up redshirts in February and March. Gregg has to take that into consideration.
                            Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

McDuffie seems just to thin of a frame to play the 5 or 4. We never seem to have too many big guys, I can't see red shirting any 4 or 5. I just don't think anyone but McDuffie or Taylor taking a red shirt.

Comment

Working...
                              X