Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AP and Coaches Poll Watch Thread (2015-16 Edition)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AP and Coaches Poll Watch Thread (2015-16 Edition)

Weekly results from the USA TODAY Sports NCAA Men’s College Basketball coaches poll, conducted weekly using a panel of head coaches at Division I schools.

Preseason Coaches Poll just released - WSU starts the year at #12.

If prior years are indicative, the preseason AP Poll will be released around Halloween.

With the possibility of two matchups in the early season against top 18 teams, I don't hate our schedule. That being said, I think we should probably be a couple of spots higher, but that just goes to show that even in coaching, there is a propensity to overrate P5 conferences (B12) and their teams (ISU,OU,KU). I won't complain much about #12 though, as it still allows for growth and improvement along with keeping us in the "real close to Top 10 conversations."
    "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

lolz

Comment

I wonder if Iowa State fans are still bitching.
        Deuces Valley.
        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Btw, the coaches poll is mostly garbage. I don't think any media source outside of USA Today uses those rankings anymore. It's pretty much all AP.
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Not a lot of separation between 9 and 12

Comment

I guess I can't complain. 2nd highest non-BCS Pre-Season ranking behind Gonzaga.

It's just I was really hoping with our Senior class and proof of recent history with this group (and potentially TWO All-Americans as Seniors coming off a Sweet-16 run)...that we would be around 5, 6 or 7.

Man it sure would be neat to get the "benefit of the doubt" sometimes. Oh well....I'm happy with #12
              Let's go kick-ass and take names!!!!!!!!
              FINAL FOURS:
              1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
              1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
              Number of Times Ranked: 157
              Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
              Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
              Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
              #3 - Dec. 2017
              #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
              #2 ~ March 2014
              Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

it's not where you start the race....

Comment

Eh, preseason polls. We could win the National Championship this year, and they wouldn't put us in the top 25 next year because of the seniors we lose this year. Duke won the National Championship last year and lost essentially their entire team to the draft, and they are top 5. KU brings in one guy (who may not be eligible) and returns essentially the same squad (minus Oubre) that was mediocre last year and they are top 10. I expect it. It doesn't bother me. And it continues to feed the team. I like that.

Comment

It does bother me. We can say it doesn't matter, but it does. It has an impact on things like getting a 7 seed in the tourney for no reason whatsoever.

Comment

It bothers me as well. But at the same time, there is bias in these polls and the shockers wont get the benefit of the doubt on being an elite team until the prove it to the skeptics, which usually takes around half a season, if not more. Frustrating? Yes. Anything new? No.

Comment

There really isn't much more proving they can do.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                          it's not where you start the race....
                          Attached Files
                          “The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
                            There really isn't much more proving they can do.
                            Not to us no, but that's why I'm saying bias. Because the bias of the analysts is towards programs with decades of success even if they havent been particularly good the past few years (ie KU getting out in the round of 32 two years in a row and still being a top 5 team to start this year)

Comment

Working...
                            X