Game Thread: Ron Baker (USA) vs Venezuela

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
    I missed the 2nd half, it was just too ugly to watch. Ron played great D but the ball hog offense wouldn't give him any looks. Surely they could've come up with some better pros to play, these guys were terrible. The other comments here about Tremble were correct, he's not good. I don't see how he gets the publicity. The USA could've put together a better roster of all college kids if they picked the right set of players.
    The USA could've put together a better roster of all college kids if they'd taken WSU.
    "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

• Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
      You did.

I don't know everything about basketball, but both watching the game and the box score seem to scream pretty loudly "We need a real PG."

Unfortunately, they didn't select him. Fortunately, he's currently training new players in what it takes to reach the Final 4. Give and take, I suppose.
      This is why I haven't said much about FVV not making that "team". I hope Fred's not too disappointed about it. I know I'm acting like a spoiled kid, but I want Fred working with our team as much as possible. We're already without Tekele and, for a while, Ron and the newbies need to learn Play Angry from the best ASAP. Glad to hear our frosh already have some Play Angry DNA to begin with.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jhook89 View Post
        I see a lot of similarities between Ron and Kirk Hinrich. Don't shoot me.
        He's had a good NBA career. If Ron could emulate that, it would be great.
        The Assman

Comment

• I watched last nights game on ESPN3 without any interruptions; just a few commercials and 'piss poor' overall production. Did anyone watch the game on ESPN2? If they did, how much of the game was shown? I can't watch the game 'live' tonight and would like to set the DVR if it's even worth the trouble? Thanks!
          "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post
            I watched last nights game on ESPN3 without any interruptions; just a few commercials and 'piss poor' overall production. Did anyone watch the game on ESPN2? If they did, how much of the game was shown? I can't watch the game 'live' tonight and would like to set the DVR if it's even worth the trouble? Thanks!
            I watched the entire game on ESPN2 last night. There seemed to be a couple of video issues at certain points in the game, and I was out of the room, for about 5 minutes total, but other than that, every minute of the game was on TV.

Comment

• I watched the first half on ESPN3 and the second half on ESPN2. The entire second half was shown on ESPN2. Probably because all other events had ended by that time of day.

Comment

• It was the first time this team has ever played together... I think the trend line for all but Trimble was pretty good. Ron was outstanding. I wouldn't get too hung-up on the first half (it was AWFUL). Venezuela seemed to have a lot of experience playing within the system and with each other.

I will be really surprised if the offense doesn't continue to improve dramatically.

Comment

• I'd say they showed about 95% or more of the action on ESPN 2. Definitely was the better option over the ESPN3 feed.

Comment

• Originally posted by boltforge View Post
                    On Trimble, anyone else catch the announcers talking about how he basically insulted Wilkins during an interview? That he was non-athletic, but at least had a high BB IQ?

That was just another thing that I'm so spoiled with our WSU basketball team. Guys that watch their mouths, talk positive about our players, and just make each other better. And FVV is the poster-child (poster-man?) for that lifestyle.
                    Agreed, If you watched Twitter last night, Fred was fighting for Ron. Even when people were saying how much Fred should be there, Fred deflected the attention and pointed out how much Ron's Defense was changing the game.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
                      This is why I haven't said much about FVV not making that "team". I hope Fred's not too disappointed about it. I know I'm acting like a spoiled kid, but I want Fred working with our team as much as possible. We're already without Tekele and, for a while, Ron and the newbies need to learn Play Angry from the best ASAP. Glad to hear our frosh already have some Play Angry DNA to begin with.
                      I think Fred is a little disappointed but in normal Fred fashion, he's channeling it by talking up his teammates

Fred VanVleet ‏@FredVanVleet 16h16 hours ago
                      Make sure yall showing the boy some love. Don't undermine how special this is @RDB_sh31ox

Comment

• After last night, I'm not sure how disappointed Fred could be. He may be leaning more towards feeling sorry for Ron being stuck with a bunch of no defense ball hogs. On the other hand, if Fred was there, that wouldn't be the case.

Comment

• With this coaching staff, Fred would be buried on the bench behind Mr. All-World, Bobby Brown. Afterall, Bobby's extra 2 inch height was a difference maker last night. NOT!

Comment

• Originally posted by TheYeti
                            Last night reinforced my belief that Mark Few is a dumbass.
                            As another poster stated somewhere, this goes a log way toward explaining the abundance of Final 4's on Few's resume.

Comment

• Turns out, superior athleticism and size only provide defensive versatility if you happen to know how to play defense and give a crap about trying to do so more than never.

Who knew?

Comment

• Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
                                Turns out, superior athleticism and size only provide defensive versatility if you happen to know how to play defense and give a crap about trying to do so more than never.

Who knew?
                                Also turns out that if you have a choice between an extra couple of inches and the ability to break full court pressure, the latter is a more valuable attribute in a point guard.
                                "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Working...
                                X