No announcement yet.

Game Thread: Ron Baker (USA) vs Venezuela

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I missed the 2nd half, it was just too ugly to watch. Ron played great D but the ball hog offense wouldn't give him any looks. Surely they could've come up with some better pros to play, these guys were terrible. The other comments here about Tremble were correct, he's not good. I don't see how he gets the publicity. The USA could've put together a better roster of all college kids if they picked the right set of players.

Comment

• Ron and Tarc need to play lots of minutes for this team. Those 2 and Brogdon are the only ones who have been taught to play defense. Second half looked much better. I'm not sure how much I like Few. Cut Shawn Long, we obviously would have been much better off with a 3rd point guard on the team, but anyway since you didn't, let the kid play when we are up 17.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerPhi View Post
        A teeny dose of Shocker basketball in the summer is definitely a relief in this long off season.

Go Baker and USA!
        Watching the first half of that game (full disclosure, I stopped watching at halftime and went to bed), reminded me why I no longer watch any basketball other than NCAA. Mark Few has his hands full getting these guys to play together as a team. It certainly wasn't even a "teeny dose of Shocker basketball."

At the end of the half, it seemed the only guys who knew Ron Baker was on the court or on the team were the two ESPN announcers.

Comment

• I’m going to throw a turd into the punch bowl; the Mrs. and I thought the Venezuela defense was keying on Ron making it difficult for him to get touches in the first half. Of course the ‘fumble fingered’ guards and Bobby ‘let it fly’ Brown weren’t helping. Ron’s probably the best shooter on the team and I’m sure the coaches wanted him to get more touches. Yes, I’m confident Fred would have found a way to get him the ball. I guess I’m over Fred not making the team. Life’s too short to continue to ***** and moan about something I have no control of.
          "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by Bluzrover View Post
            Watching the first half of that game (full disclosure, I stopped watching at halftime and went to bed), reminded me why I no longer watch any basketball other than NCAA. Mark Few has his hands full getting these guys to play together as a team. It certainly wasn't even a "teeny dose of Shocker basketball."

At the end of the half, it seemed the only guys who knew Ron Baker was on the court or on the team were the two ESPN announcers.
            I can understand why you or anyone would not want to watch after half time. But the 4th quarter was much better and Baker at least got to hit a 3 pointer with literally 7 seconds left in the game. So he showed his idiot team mates that he can make shots and hopefully the next game will be better. But I agree. NCAA games are 10 times better.

Comment

• Not to blame everything on the other players, but when Ron did get the ball, he was more likely to pass it to another player than to look for his shot like all the other players were doing.

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post
                I guess I’m over Fred not making the team.
                WHAT!?!?!?! You HATE the Shockers?!! You ... you ... Jayhawk!!! Yes, I said it. You're a JAYHAWK!!! Go wash your mouth out!
                Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by 1979Shocker View Post
                  Not to blame everything on the other players, but when Ron did get the ball, he was more likely to pass it to another player than to look for his shot like all the other players were doing.
                  Two things that Ron uses regularly in the Shocker offense, he looked for yesterday at least 2-4 times.
                  1)Players without the ball go to the corner and wait for players to penetrate and dish it to Ron beyond the 3 point line for open shots. He was open and didn't receive the ball on multiple occasions.
                  2)Ron and FVV when they receive a pass, often receive a screen which will open them up momentarily for a shot (last night it was beyond the 3 point line). Ron looked for this at least 2-3 times last night and the player who was 2-3 steps away, ran right past Ron.

Ron didn't have very many touches last night, and these two items listed above, didn't result in shots for Ron. Ron did work hard in the second half by moving without the ball. He still didn't receive many touches. Ron has a high BB IQ. Many of his team members don't.

Comment

• I went to bed at halftime. Couldn't f-ing watch any more, may not turn it on again.

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
                      Hopefully this is "work in progress" - this game was brutal to watch.
                      Did I read the totals stat line correct?!? 15 TOs with only 5 assists and 3 steals! My word people, FVV could do 5 and 3 by himself! :banghead:

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
                        Did I read the totals stat line correct?!? 15 TOs with only 5 assists and 3 steals! My word people, FVV could do 5 and 3 by himself! :banghead:
                        You did.

I don't know everything about basketball, but both watching the game and the box score seem to scream pretty loudly "We need a real PG."

Unfortunately, they didn't select him. Fortunately, he's currently training new players in what it takes to reach the Final 4. Give and take, I suppose.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                          I pledge allegiance, to Gregg Marshall, for being an amazing teacher of the game. And to his program, for which we stand, one ShockerNation, under Gregg, indivisible, with assists, defense, effort, heart, and winning for all.

Amen.

And thank you for never coaching crap like this.
                          This just became part of my pre-game ritual for all Shocker BB games (along with gathering the appropriate in-game beverages and fixins).

Well said sir!

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                            I went to bed at halftime. Couldn't f-ing watch any more, may not turn it on again.
                            You should watch the second half (just fast forward past the non-Baker squad) on watchespn replay. Just for Baker's defensive play. Actually ... you should watch all of it to get a flavor of bad D vs good D.

Comment

• On Trimble, anyone else catch the announcers talking about how he basically insulted Wilkins during an interview? That he was non-athletic, but at least had a high BB IQ?

That was just another thing that I'm so spoiled with our WSU basketball team. Guys that watch their mouths, talk positive about our players, and just make each other better. And FVV is the poster-child (poster-man?) for that lifestyle.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                                The column descriptions didn't get posted. Can you edit that and add the column descriptions at the top?
                                I've tried six methods and none of them work very well
                                "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                                ---------------------------------------
                                Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                                "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                                "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Working...
                                X