No announcement yet.

Game Thread: Ron Baker (USA) vs Venezuela

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big difference in College ball vs international, along with he may not have had much choice in who all was asked to the tryouts. He can coach, you don't do what he has done consistently at Gonzaga and not be able to coach. Now can he get his players (other than a couple of them who already understand) to buy into the Team game vs the Look at Me game and he will take this team far.

Comment

• "Last night reinforced my belief that Mark Few is a dumbass."

Big difference in College ball vs international, along with he may not have had much choice in who all was asked to the tryouts. He can coach, you don't do what he has done consistently at Gonzaga and not be able to coach. Now can he get his players (other than a couple of them who already understand) to buy into the Team game vs the Look at Me game and he will take this team far.

Comment

• Hasn't been mentioned but basketball with a 24 second clock is vastly different than one with 35 seconds. Not going to see that extra pass nor anyone walking it up the floor. 8 guys have never played with a 24 second clock. Much much higher paced game. Ron will get plenty of looks by the time this is over.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
          I think Fred is a little disappointed but in normal Fred fashion, he's channeling it by talking up his teammates
          This is why Fred will do well no matter what he does after his BB playing days are over. Hell, you can say that about just about every player 3G brings to Wichita.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr. Obvious View Post
            Hasn't been mentioned but basketball with a 24 second clock is vastly different than one with 35 seconds. Not going to see that extra pass nor anyone walking it up the floor. 8 guys have never played with a 24 second clock. Much much higher paced game. Ron will get plenty of looks by the time this is over.

Don't disagree with your comment except one has to WANT to pass the ball in the first place! There wasn't of that going on in the first half.

Comment

• I'm in with the 24-second clock comments. I thought if Few had a problem, it was adjusting to the 24-second clock. I also think he's got some loose cannons on the team (Bobby Brown) who see no reason to defer their superior knowledge of the game and personal ability to a mere college coach.

I'll give Wilkins a pass on any ball-hogging comments. He can go to the rack every time he touches it as far as I'm concerned.

If Trimble is a "versatile" player, I'd sure like to see what he can do at any position other than PG. I don't think J.R. Simon would have looked that bad if he had been the starter against UNI last year. Among the 5 times he did not turn the ball over, he fell down twice, but maintained possession. There goes 5 seconds of that 24-second clock.

I may have had that wrong. I don't think anyone actually counted the number of times he did not turn the ball over.
              The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
              We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHURTZtheHERTZ View Post
                He's had a good NBA career. If Ron could emulate that, it would be great.
                My thoughts exactly! If Baker can be a starter in the NBA for 12+ years and be a franchises all time leader in 3 pointer made (Kirk is the Bulls career leader) I would be ecstatic!

Comment

• Originally posted by Jhook89 View Post
                  Kirk played for the actual Olympic team and has been in the NBA for like 13 years. Lol I think you're underestimating his athleticness. Kirk shot over 40% from 3 point land 3 times and over 50% once. I think Kirk has more than a slight edge on spot up shooting lol.

They both have very good all around games. Smooth silly shot, play hard nosed D, and they both are combo guards.
                  Right, but I'm comparing them as college players. I see no reason Ron can't make just as nice a professional career as Hinrich. I never said he was unathletic. We also don't know what Ron's shot will look like after 13 NBA seasons, so we can't compare that.

Both are very, very gifted ball players.

Comment

• I didn't post during the game, but it was clear that the best players on the court for the US were Tarczewski and Baker. They were basically completely excluded from one end and still managed to make more contributions just by giving a **** on defense and trying to play a team game on offense. And Baker clearly showed that he could have led the team in scoring if they just gave him the ball; his three point shot is just miles better than anyone else on the roster. The only pro that impressed me at all was Damian Wilkins, and I'm sure our team would easily beat this squad (heck, I'm not sure they'd finish second in the Valley). If they want to beat better teams they'll need to play and trust Ron more; he's easily the best defender on the team and the guy with the best shooting touch.

Comment

• Originally posted by SirShoxAlot View Post
                      Right, but I'm comparing them as college players. I see no reason Ron can't make just as nice a professional career as Hinrich. I never said he was unathletic. We also don't know what Ron's shot will look like after 13 NBA seasons, so we can't compare that.

Both are very, very gifted ball players.
                      I understand and agree. I was also comparing them as college players. The stats I quoted about 3pt % were take from college. His freshman year was the only year he was below 40%.
                      Last edited by Jhook89; July 22, 2015, 05:38 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jhook89 View Post
                        I understand and agree. I was also comparing them as college players. The stats I quoted about 3pt % were take from college. His freshman year was the only year he was below 40%.
                        I didn't watch Hinrichs very much so I'll have to defer to you. However, isn't Baker a stronger, thicker at 6'4 220 lb. linebacker type of player. It's pretty unique to have the size and skill combination that Baker has. I don't know how that will transfer to the NBA.

Just how big and strong was Hinrichs when he was at KU anyway?

Comment

• Heinrich was skinny
                          Livin the dream

Comment

• Hinrich had an uncanny resemblance to the "Zoom Zoom" twirp that did the Mazda commercials back when he was in college.

Comment

• Originally posted by Play Angry View Post
                              Hinrich had an uncanny resemblance to the "Zoom Zoom" twirp that did the Mazda commercials back when he was in college.
                              Again, I will defer to others, but Ron, for his size has very nice speed. His lateral quickness plus his size, should give him a firm edge as a defender both in college and especially in the NBA. He knows how to use his bulk to his advantage too. Where some college players who are TOP 10-15 draft picks have a lot of talent (note what they said about Randolph last night who didn't last in the NBA very long) and supreme talent ability, Baker imo will ride his high BB IQ, top notch defense (I think his defense will be very good against top athletic talent), and all around skills to make for a long NBA career (I guess Hinrich did have a long career too although again, I'll have to defer to others who know him more).

Comment

• Early 00's was when I was really getting into College Basketball, so I watched a lot of Kirk. They are essentially the same height, but Ron is much thicker and stronger than Kirk. Ron is better around the rim and finishing than Kirk was. Kirk is quicker and has better ball handling skills. Kirk wasn't a weakling though. Quite possibly his best skill has always been fighting through screens and being attached to his mans hip. Kirk was a lock down on ball defender in college (as evident by him making an all NBA defensive team later.) What really made me think of Kirk when I was watching Ron was his D. Seeing Ron fight through screens, tip passes out of bounds, not letting the guy he is guarding get any space at all. Doing all that on D then coming down the court and nailing an open three or making a smart play that leads to points. Ron and Kirk have a lot of similarities in their skill set and playing style. They are both great, tough 2 way combo guards.

Comment

Working...
                                X