No announcement yet.

Hinson out at Missouri State

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IMO he had a lot of pressure to recruit locally and there were enough players within that 200 mile radius to field a good team. It wasn't a budget thing. While this isn't Wichita, there are plenty of boosters with $$$ to put behind the program.

If he had landed Tolliver or Hill, he would still be here .

Barry will be a good coach for some school. His teams executed very well and he is a real nice guy.

:goshocks:

Comment

With the new arena on campus I have a feeling they will get some donors (JQH or the Laurie's) to shell out some more money and increase their coaching and recruiting budgets.

Comment

Hinson had some pretty good players during his stint. He had the luxury of having D1-caliber talent locally and was able to get them. The problem was he never really had a top-tier (by Valley standards) post player.

I'm also not sold on his in-game coaching ability. I've watched a few of their games where I just shook my head at some of his coaching moves.

Csse in point: Several years ago during a WSU - SMS game we were shooting very well from outside against the Bears' man-to-man. Hinson switched to zone. And it wasn't just for a posession or two to throw a different look at us. No, he stuck with the zone and predictably, we kept shooting well. That was my first look at what the Bears fans were already saying about the guy.

MSU fans got a taste of NCAA tournament success under Alford, then had the run of pretty good seasons with Hinson. I think they are qualified to choose which type of team they would like to support.

Hinson will likely land at a next-level-down program and have some success. The guy just hit his ceiling in the MVC.

Comment

There are a number of locals with a lot of $$$, O'reilly's (auto parts), Johnnie Morris (Bass Pro), and those are just a few of the "known" locals. They may not land someone like HCGM, but they won't settle for someone mediocre.

BTW, Steve Woodberry is very well liked here but probably doesn't have the experience.

Comment

One thing is for sure, the name change they did was a good move, 'Missouri State University' sounds lots better and more prestigious than 'Southwest Missouri University', especially when coach hunting.

Comment

re:

Barry's last press conference . . . the MVC will miss his personality.

The Ozarks Sports Zone team covers sports around the Ozarks

Comment

Missouri State has fired coach Barry Hinson, a source close to the situation told ESPN's Doug Gottlieb.

It's being reported by ESPN that Henson has been fired.
                In the fast lane

Comment

I have to admit, I'm sorry to see him go. I know MSU fans can't stand him, but I found him an interesting personality and decent coach. I think the biggest eye opener from from the ESPN link was that he had graduated all but 1 of the athletes he had coached in 9 years--that's impressive.

I'd love to see him pick up another D1 head coaching job, and I have the feeling he will.

Comment

What were the expectations of the MSU fans when they only paid their coach < 200K?

Comment

Re: re:

Originally posted by Uncle Rico

http://www.kspr.com/sports/16406206.html
                      Worth the listen.

Here's to replacing Spoon with Barry as an FSN analyst.
                      "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                      -John Wooden

Comment

That was a pretty good presser he had.

I figure he should have another job within the next month. If not, someone could sure get a heck of a deal with him as an assistant.

Comment

Re: re:

Originally posted by wu_shizzle
                          Originally posted by Uncle Rico

http://www.kspr.com/sports/16406206.html
                          Worth the listen.

Here's to replacing Spoon with Barry as an FSN analyst.
                          Great idea! :good:
                          "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

That is a great press conference. Hinson is a class guy. I wish him well.

Comment

I just watched it. All I can say is I hope MSU gets what's coming to them. I just can't understand getting rid of a coach that averaged 19 wins a season and graduates his kids at a very high rate.

Comment

Originally posted by Tasmanian Devil
                                I just watched it. All I can say is I hope MSU gets what's coming to them. I just can't understand getting rid of a coach that averaged 19 wins a season and graduates his kids at a very high rate.
                                I've never understood, and will never understand why MSU fans have wanted him out so bad.

Comment

Working...
                                X