No announcement yet.

baker and van vleet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wichita State Coach Gregg Marshall On Futures Of Ron Baker And Fred VanVleet

Comment

Baker and Van Vleet both have pro careers in their future but they aren't going to be immdiate stars. And they may even be international careers. The NBA is a different beast and it can make or break pretty quickly. Look at the minimal exposure Cle has had this year. Some playing time sure, but it's not been a breakthrough performance. I think they are smart enough to see this and also understand that their commitment and experience in Wichita is more valuable long term than riding the pine in warm ups or, worse yet, the D-league.

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post
        I believe Ron and Conner will play together when Fred is on the bench and that Fred and Conner will play together when Ron is resting. Those three will make up > 75 minutes per game at the 1/2.
        I could see some mins when Fred runs the point with CF at the two and RB at the three. How nasty would that be.

Comment

Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
          I hope he's really itching to play defense.

Its a part of our culture. Coach demands it and our players (Ron and Fred especially) do too.

Comment

Originally posted by wu_shizzle View Post
            It was obvious the last 10 games or so that Ron struggled with a game plan meant to deny him touches.

It will also be interesting to see if we play Ron and Conner at the same time next year.
            Yes. Not sure how much in the course of the game but I would expect occasionally. At the end of games, when we have a lead they will be our best ball handlers and best free throw shooters. We know how good Fred and Ron are at the end of games. Now add a ball handler who shoots over 90 percent from the line. That's a no brainer.

Comment

If Ron is being looked at by the NBA, it's for reasons other than his stats in particular games. Don't disagree with comments about Cle and his performance in big games but I think there are other attributes about Ron that intrigues NBA scouts.

That being said, I think Ron and Fred look no further than their last opponents for inspiration. Connaughton and Grant both could have skipped their senior seasons but opted to come back one more year and they're playing in an Elite Eight after a dominant performance against our beloved Shockers.

I predict a return of both under HCGM.

Comment

I think after a week or so of enjoying this year and thinking about the future... They will all be back... Only if Marshall is back... That domino has to fall first

Comment

Neither going to the NBA.
                  Players that leave early are usually lottery picks or at least 1st rounders.
                  Baker will not be a 1st rounder & Van Fleet will probably not be drafted.

Our worry is Marshall leaving & taking Baker who could play without having to sit out.

Comment

Originally posted by wichita View Post
                    Neither going to the NBA.
                    Players that leave early are usually lottery picks or at least 1st rounders.
                    Baker will not be a 1st rounder & Van Fleet will probably not be drafted.

Our worry is Marshall leaving & taking Baker who could play without having to sit out.
                    He wouldn't take Baker. Baker wouldn't go. He has a very good chance of having his jersey retired if he stays. He's an icon. If he leaves, that's all wiped out.
                    Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by wichita View Post
                      Gregg making a decision to leave is one thing. Gregg taking a player is a completely different matter. The first is a professional decision. The second would indicate a character fault I don't believe he has.
                      Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

Originally posted by wusphlash View Post
                        Gregg making a decision to leave is one thing. Gregg taking a player is a completely different matter. The first is a professional decision. The second would indicate a character fault I don't believe he has.
                        He would not take or let him go with him... Would be bushleauge and that is something Gregg is not.

Comment

If baker leaves, it is for pro ball. If I'm wrong, then the state of college sports has degenerated much more than we know.

Comment

Baker named finalist for Wooden Award.

This from Jeff *******:

Wooden Award 10 finalists: Kaminsky, Okafor, Cauley-Stein, Jerian Grant, D. Russell, Delon Wright, Ron Baker, Seth Tuttle, Wiltjer, Brogdon.
                            3h ago

Congratulations Ron!

Comment

Love how almost 1/3 are players the shocks battled this year...

Comment

Originally posted by choida View Post
                                Love how almost 1/3 are players the shocks battled this year...
                                And yet we still don't play anybody.

Comment

Working...
                                X