No announcement yet.

Offseason Thread: 2015 Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The way the NBA plays these days, you only need 2-3 guys that can really play ball. The other guys just have to hang out on the perimeter while the star player goes one on one.

Comment

Comment

@Gary:ParrishCBS: Wichita State’s past four years: Four NCAA Tournaments, two Sweet 16s, a Final Four, a No. 1 seed and 122 total wins. Amazing stuff.
        Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

I think the big three all return. Marshall will get offers, but ultimately I think we are simply in a better place as a program than Texas or Indiana. Marshall will not step down to a program in shambles when he knows he can achieve better at Wichita State. Could Texas go 35-0? Could Indiana reach the Final Four? Will Alabama make to the postseason four years in a row, with two Sweet 16s and a #1 seed? As those programs are now, the answers are no, no, and no. I'd be more worried if Calipari leaves to the NBA or Roy Williams retires (though UNC might get dismantled when the NCAA finally acts).

Baker and Ron don't really have a lot of reason to declare early for the NBA draft. They wouldn't be 1st rounders, so even the money argument isn't very strong. They could go undrafted once teams start throwing away draft picks on Euro prospects, and even if they get drafted they aren't guaranteed anything. They could get shunted to the D-league, or get a contract with zero guaranteed money. A first rounder risks losing millions by returning, but Ron and Baker aren't risking anything. If anything, it probably is riskier leaving early and not giving themselves a chance to improve their stock.

If I were guessing, I'd say Baker probably has the best chance of having a long, productive NBA career. The player I always compare him to is Kirk Hinrich. Both are combo guards with more athleticism than the average white shooter, noted for defense and shooting. Hinrich is a better shooter, but Ron is significantly stronger and probably could guard a wider range of players. He has the right mix of athleticism and skill to stay in the league for a long time. Early is in a tougher spot, because his development is probably going to be shunted as long as he is with the Knicks and behind Carmelo Anthony.

Fred, however, is the player I think has the highest potential. There is a chance he never plays in the NBA, that his size and athleticism put a cap on his skills. But there is also a chance is becomes an All-Star, even one of the best PGs in the league. So much depends on circumstance and someone giving him a shot, but I dare anyone to watch him and say he doesn't have the skillset of an elite PG. His handles, shot, and passing are as good as anyone in the league. And before you start comparing him to Westbrook or Wall, remember that a ton of the best PGs of all-time were average or below average athletes: Steve Nash, Chris Paul, Jason Kidd, John Stockton. Fred can be that type of player. It isn't a given by any means, but with the right circumstances I think he has a real shot.

Comment

Originally posted by CBB_Fan View Post
            Baker... Kirk Hinrich. Both are.... white shooter.
            YOU RACIST PIG.

:)

Comment

My wish? The SOLID development of Fred's replacement. He's only got one year left, and we need someone NOW to step up and be ready when he leaves. On this note, I've said before, FVV is very unlikely to be an NBA player. Most players at his height have some uncanny quality that makes an NBA team give them a shot; unbelievable vertical, incredible shooting, etc. I think of Patty Mills, who is crazy fast, as the best example of what FVV can do. I'm just not sure his abilities (which he DEFINITELY has!) shine through enough to have teams give him a shot. With that in mind, his best bet is to stay another year and test the waters after that. Personally, I like him as a potential coaching legend.

Comment

This is going to be a stressful off season. Several questions abound. First and foremost, the current state of the program is dependent on what Gregg Marshall decides to do. We can afford to lose RB and FVV in this year's draft, it'll hurt in the short term, however losing GM will result in several years of struggle. On top of not having RB and FVV back, Marcus McDuffie and the other recruits will not stay committed to WSU and may end up following GM to his new program should that come to pass.

GM is 52, IMO the best options for him is to stay at WSU and retire here, or, make that one last move to a higher profile program and see what he can do there. The longer he waits, the less desirable he'll be in the eyes of said higher profile school. I doubt at 60 years of age for example, a Blue Blood program would come calling as I would think their ideal candidate is a younger man to establish a new tradition/dynasty/lasting era of basketball.

We also don't have the luxury of having a 'coach in waiting' on the staff currently. Losing Forbes and Jans pretty much eliminates that option. While there are plenty of great candidates out there, (Steve Prohm, Bryce Drew and Brad Underwood come to mind) the longer GM waits to pull the trigger, these guys might get hired before we have a chance to grab them.

What about being two scholarships over the limit next year? Any thoughts on who is not coming back? Are the Shox having to give up some quality players to get to the limit? If RB and FVV leave, there's the answer but selfishly, I want them to remain and finish out their careers. Then who's next?

So many questions and what ifs. It's nerve wracking, hoping for the best.

Comment

Question. How soon do you usually find out whether or not a guy is moving on to play professionally? It has to be fairly quick, right? And while I'm on it, how soon would we find out about UAB and/or another possible 12th MVC school? All of this stuff has to be soon, I would think. (count on it being some kind of joke like UIC...)

It won't be but a few weeks and we will have some closure on all of this stuff, whether it be Marshall's future or if certain guys are coming back. One of the really nice things about having an awesome year and playing deep into the post season is you are busy all through March. It kind of shortens the off-season by almost a whole month.

I am very intrigued with all these variables for next year. We managed to survive the rebuilding year in style, and now all these newcomers are playing with more experience. We might be about to get back to having a really deep team to go along with our stars coming back... assuming they do.
                  Last edited by Dave Stalwart; March 27, 2015, 02:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DJ06Shocker View Post
                    Question. How soon do you usually find out whether or not a guy is moving on to play professionally? It has to be fairly quick, right?

It won't be but a few weeks and we will have some closure on all of this stuff, whether it be Marshall's future or if certain guys are coming back. One of the really nice things about having an awesome year and playing deep into the post season is you are busy all through March. It kind of shortens the off-season by almost a whole month.

I am very intrigued with all these variables for next year. We managed to survive the rebuilding year in style, and now all these newcomers are playing with more experience. We might be about to get back to having a really deep team to go along with our stars coming back... assuming they do.
                    I think it should be about a month before we know.

Comment

Whatever happens, happens. If I was rich I might have some small degree of control over one of these situations but I'm not, so I don't. No sense in spending too much time thinking about it let alone worrying.

Comment

Originally posted by DJ06Shocker View Post
                        Question. How soon do you usually find out whether or not a guy is moving on to play professionally? It has to be fairly quick, right? And while I'm on it, how soon would we find out about UAB and/or another possible 12th MVC school? All of this stuff has to be soon, I would think. (count on it being some kind of joke like UIC...)

April 26 is the deadline this year for the nba draft declaration
                        Last edited by jdshock; March 27, 2015, 02:22 PM.

Comment

Ron returning last year broke on April 4th.

Comment

Originally posted by AndShock View Post
                            Ron returning last year broke on April 4th.
                            What about a time frame for transfer news? As much as I don't like the bad news, simple math shows a couple are going to be leaving.

Edit: wasn't going to speculate, but what the heck it's off-season. My guess is we thank Holland and Glass for their time at WSU and wish them nothing but the best, and help find them a good situation somewhere.
                            Last edited by ShoxRoxMySox; March 28, 2015, 07:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoxRoxMySox View Post
                              What about a time frame for transfer news? As much as I don't like the bad news, simple math shows a couple are going to be leaving.

Only "transfer" we need to worry about right is the coach...
                              Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

Originally posted by jocoshock View Post
                                Only "transfer" we need to worry about right is the coach...
                                Until Texas opens up, I'm not worried.

Comment

Working...
                                X