Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shoxtastic View Post
    Crap. A bidding war with P5 teams doesn't do us any favors
    You're aware Tennessee made a run at 3G last time, when WSU wasn't as established as we are now, and UT was in better shape as a program?

Comment

So now that the season is over, when is the announcement? .. the one where Marshall is accepting a HUGE pay raise??? ...... At WSU :) ..

In seriousness, I hope our AD is in the process of writing up a document that gives Marshall a big raise, so that when the power schools come calling again, the money factor isn't even in the equation.

Comment

Originally posted by TheYeti
        Looks to me like the Texas AD is stalling for Barnes 1 more year, when Marshall may be more attainable.
        That's smart in my opinion, and more worrisome than the situations we've had to deal with in the past. But whatever, out of our hands so I'll enjoy the ride as long as it lasts.

Comment

Looks to me like the Texas AD is stalling for Barnes 1 more year, when Marshall may be more attainable.
          Heard that rumor weeks ago.

Comment

For a head coach to be told by his administration to fire his assistant coaches if he wants to keep his job is ----- well, you can imagine how that would go over with Marshall. If Barnes wants at least one more year he will have to do as the admin asks (if Barnes loses his job, the assistants are gone anyway). If Marshall leaves WSU I can just see it written in his new contract that the administration would have to stay the hell out of his program and if they didn't agree it would be a deal breaker. That's not to say he couldn't be fired, just not interfered with.

Comment

It's not uncommon

Comment

I'm no insider to college athletics administrations, but it seems unorthodox to me that an AD would tell a coach he either has to fire assistant coaches or he will be fired himself. If you have that little faith in your head coach's decision making abilities, how could you keep him around anyway?

It's certainly possible the report is untrue. If it is true, wouldn't this tell you everything you need to know about how the Texas athletic program is operating? Forget writing it into the contract that you can't be "interfered with," doesn't this suggest there will be pressure brought to bear from multiple directions that you don't have now and don't need in the future? Maybe they don't give you an ultimatum, but you know there will be plenty of folks - boosters included - telling you how they feel about all your decisions. No one's ever offered me a $2 million raise, but I can't imagine this kind of situation would be worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
                  You're aware Tennessee made a run at 3G last time, when WSU wasn't as established as we are now, and UT was in better shape as a program?
                  And you are aware that interest from Tennessee drives up the market price whether Coach is 100% interested or not? The SEC schools all have a sudden windfall of cash from the little thing called the SEC network. They arent afraid to use it, and appear to be focused on men's hoops now to an extent as well.

Comment

Originally posted by tw805 View Post
                    I'm no insider to college athletics administrations, but it seems unorthodox to me that an AD would tell a coach he either has to fire assistant coaches or he will be fired himself. If you have that little faith in your head coach's decision making abilities, how could you keep him around anyway?

It's certainly possible the report is untrue. If it is true, wouldn't this tell you everything you need to know about how the Texas athletic program is operating? Forget writing it into the contract that you can't be "interfered with," doesn't this suggest there will be pressure brought to bear from multiple directions that you don't have now and don't need in the future? Maybe they don't give you an ultimatum, but you know there will be plenty of folks - boosters included - telling you how they feel about all your decisions. No one's ever offered me a $2 million raise, but I can't imagine this kind of situation would be worth it.
                    You can see how unorthodox the AD there is when it comes to an administration. My worry is Texas goes and throws $10 million a year to Calipari and then some serious dominoes start falling.

Comment

There will always be someone with more money to offer than WSU. Honestly, I think money will be a minor player if and when Gregg should choose to move.

No AD is going to tell HCGM to fire assistants. Definitely not Gregg's personna. I would think this would be a red flag for anyone looking at the Texas job. Still occupied by the way.

Gregg is 52. He has no more than one more move. He doesn't want any of his remaining years to be spent rebuilding.

Lastly, I believe Gregg is a family first guy. Does he really want to uproot those closest to him when he has built the foundation to compete nationally right here?
                      Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

Is it possible that if you tell your coach he has to fire his assistants or else he will be fired, you are actually setting him up for a breach of his own contract or something? Maybe he won't do that, and if he doesn't, that means he isn't fulfilling a specific request from the athletic department or something. It could effectively turn a potential firing into a resignation.

Comment

Originally posted by Shoxtastic View Post
                          And you are aware that interest from Tennessee drives up the market price whether Coach is 100% interested or not? The SEC schools all have a sudden windfall of cash from the little thing called the SEC network. They arent afraid to use it, and appear to be focused on men's hoops now to an extent as well.
                          It doesn't drive up the price on 3G's head one bit if there are two market competitors and he's only a candidate for one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by DJ06Shocker View Post
                            Is it possible that if you tell your coach he has to fire his assistants or else he will be fired, you are actually setting him up for a breach of his own contract or something? Maybe he won't do that, and if he doesn't, that means he isn't fulfilling a specific request from the athletic department or something. It could effectively turn a potential firing into a resignation.
                            This occurred to me too, that they were trying to push him to quit. I don't know what his termination clause is, but it can't be cheap.

Comment

This occurred to me too, that they were trying to push him to quit. I don't know what his termination clause is, but it can't be cheap.
                              I think that's exactly what they are doing. They figure he won't turn on his assistants and instead, quit/retire now. If you're Gregg Marshall, do you want to go work for a guy who plays those types of games?

Comment

All he has to do is refuse to go along with changing his assistants and let Texas fire him. He won't be quitting or resigning. In that case, he will get his buyout. About $5 million I believe.

Comment

Working...
                                X