The Annual HCGM's WSU Future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pogo View Post
    5 years at Bama = 50 years at ISU salary. That math isn't difficult:)
    This. I would love to get paid $6M for 3 years of mediocrity and then bought out. A man could make a nice retirement from that.
    Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
      5 years at Bama = 50 years at ISU salary. That math isn't difficult:)
      It's a great retirememt plan, no doubt. And that's exactly what it will be at Bama. On that point, I stand corrected. :-)
      Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

I'm going to offer a contrarian viewpoint on Grant as a coach. Remember Billy Gillespie at aTm, and how good Acie Law made him look? I think Grant capitalized on what he did at VCU on the back of the Maynor kid. Think about it. He lost three games to WSU (albeit, a very good WSU and the class of the Valley two of those years) while having the recruiting and financial advantages being in a P5 conference, even if it is at a football school. And I think we can agree that his teams had the talent to achieve much more than they did.

Put him in the MVC without those advantages? Unless another Maynor falls in his lap, I don't see him succeeding here either.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
          Put him in the MVC without those advantages? Unless another Maynor falls in his lap, I don't see him succeeding here either.
          I do think you have a good point, but it's this last part that I wonder about. The reason is because "success" in the MVC also requires much less than it does at Alabama. You won't get fired from any MVC school other than WSU for doing what Grant was able to do at Alabama.

EDIT: I just went and looked. Over the past 5 seasons Grant was 84, 124, 60, 34 & 66. That's darn near the best anyone in the MVC ever is. I don't know when he started at Alabama, so maybe the last couple RPI's are someone else.
          Last edited by Dave Stalwart; March 18, 2015, 02:15 PM.

Comment

Anthony Grant's winning percentage for his six years at Alabama was .579.

Mark Gottfried's winning percentage for 10+ years (he got fired during the season) was .616.

David Hobbs won at a .591 rate for 6 years.

Wimp Sanderson had 12 years and won at a .692 rate.

Before Wimp, CM Newton won at a rate of .632 over 12 years.

So, Anthony had the lowest winning percentage of the last 5 coaches going back to 1968-69. None of them make you go "WOW".
            Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

Originally posted by wusphlash View Post
              Anthony Grant's winning percentage for his six years at Alabama was .579.

Mark Gottfried's winning percentage for 10+ years (he got fired during the season) was .616.

David Hobbs won at a .591 rate for 6 years.

Wimp Sanderson had 12 years and won at a .692 rate.

Before Wimp, CM Newton won at a rate of .632 over 12 years.

So, Anthony had the lowest winning percentage of the last 5 coaches going back to 1968-69. None of them make you go "WOW".
              I think it's pretty fun to think about. I really do think if you could transplant his team from Alabama into the MVC over the last few years, he would never have finished in the lower half and he would not be on the hot seat. That's not necessarily a wonderful thought about the MVC, though. I'm just saying he may not have shown much at Alabama, but it's not like it takes very much to keep a job in the MVC sometimes. His teams could have been about 2nd-4th every year during that stretch over here in the MVC. Pretty UNI-esque if you ask me, and we love Jacobsen.

Comment

Originally posted by DJ06Shocker View Post
                I think it's pretty fun to think about. I really do think if you could transplant his team from Alabama into the MVC over the last few years, he would never have finished in the lower half and he would not be on the hot seat. That's not necessarily a wonderful thought about the MVC, though. I'm just saying he may not have shown much at Alabama, but it's not like it takes very much to keep a job in the MVC sometimes. His teams could have been about 2nd-4th every year during that stretch over here in the MVC. Pretty UNI-esque if you ask me, and we love Jacobsen.
                Probably more Lansing than Jacobson, but yeah. Stick him at Bradley and that's a big difference in the league if they go from RPI 300 to RPI 150.
                Livin the dream

Comment

Anthony Grant on the TBS show just now as an analysts. Providing great insight about us. Saying our defense is elite and that we are a Final Four team.

I really, really like that guy and REALLY REALLY hope he gets a good gig at a place that cares more about basketball.
                  Deuces Valley.
                  ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                    Anthony Grant on the TBS show just now as an analysts. Providing great insight about us. Saying our defense is elite and that we are a Final Four team.

I really, really like that guy and REALLY REALLY hope he gets a good gig at a place that cares more about basketball.
                    I agree I caught it too. What I liked best about him is that he seemed truly genuine. Which is rare these days, especially on tv.
                    I just want to stand on land...

@rjl:
                    If I had a gun with two bullets and was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and a Creighton fan, I think I'd shoot the Creighton fan twice.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

Pick up the phone Bradley. Not sure if it has been mentioned (or it has but has been lost to sheer SN post volume today), but BU canned Ford today.

Comment

its gotta be flattering

to have bcs programs with limited basketball history throwing big $$ around like they're the pimps and others are so desperate for it. Alabama is prepared to offer $3mil+ to 3G for his services... discuss this rebuilding job... go!

Comment

If its offered and he wants it then Alabama will be pretty good in a few years. If he doesn't want to mess with happy, then there are plenty more years of happy left at WSU.

Comment

Originally posted by jdmee View Post
                            If its offered and he wants it then Alabama will be pretty good in a few years. If he doesn't want to mess with happy, then there are plenty more years of happy left at WSU.
                            Brilliant.

Comment

Originally posted by InWuWeTrust View Post
                              to have bcs programs with limited basketball history throwing big $$ around like they're the pimps and others are so desperate for it. Alabama is prepared to offer $3mil+ to 3G for his services... discuss this rebuilding job... go!
                              See Missouri a few months ago for a predictive answer.

Same song; second verse.

Comment

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Comment

Working...
                                X