The Annual HCGM's WSU Future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alabama has been invited to the NIT.

1) Why would you fire your coach with games to play?

2) Will Anthony coach his team in the NIT?
    Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

He wasnt afraid to schedule, much respect for him
      I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

I'd take Anthony Grant in the MVC in a heartbeat. He's a good coach who just had a rough time at UA. Those P5 jobs aren't what they're cracked up to be. If GF gets canned at Bradley, AG could work miracles there.
        "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

Perfect example of a guy leaving a school for greener pastures, but forgot that maybe that greener pasture is greener because it's fertilized with a ton of **** (football money).
          ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

How does being a football school make it harder to succeed in basketball? There are many examples of good basketball programs being at football schools.

I guess you could say that fans don't care about basketball because they are so interested in football, but fans will come out basically anywhere if you give them a winner.

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieHog View Post
              How does being a football school make it harder to succeed in basketball? There are many examples of good basketball programs being at football schools.

I guess you could say that fans don't care about basketball because they are so interested in football, but fans will come out basically anywhere if you give them a winner.
              My post can appear like a blanket statement for all football schools if you read it that way, I'm speaking specifically to Grant's situation at Alabama. Going from VCU to Alabama in basketball.... tell me how my comment isn't accurate?

Comment

I went to Wikipedia and did some research. I think unless you're from Michigan, Ohio, Florida or California, it's going to be difficult, if not impossible, to sustain success at a high level in both football and basketball. Note that those states have a lot more population than Alabama.

For 'big football' schools:
                Texas has three final fours.
                Oklahoma has had four, but one came in 1939, a second one in the early '50's (when the NIT was the hottest ticket in town). They've never won a national championship.
                Alabama has never been in a final four.
                USC has been to 2 final fours.
                Florida State has been to one final four.

Now for the big basketball schools (except for UCLA):
                Indiana - 8
                Kentucky - 16
                Kansas - 14
                North Carolina - 18
                Duke - 15.

All the big basketball schools have never had consistent, winning success in football.

The fact of the matter is that the alums support a consistent, winning tradition in sports and the only schools successful in both football and basketball for sustained periods (and competed for national championships) were in states that have relatively large populations. Running a top-flight program in either football or basketball is an expensive proposition. Running a top-flight program in both is hugely expensive. Usually the successful program drains resources from the 'unsuccessful' program.

Alabama not being a state with a relatively large population would make me conclude that they could be good at either football or basketball and they made that choice a long time ago.

Comment

By the way, and noting we have an Arkansas fan posting here, Arkansas won their last football NC in 1977. They also won in 1964, their only 2.
                  They won one BBNC under Nolan Richardson (I forgot the year and Wikipedia didn't post it). They have 6 final four appearances.

They have had more success in BB than in FB, apparently.

Comment

@shocka khan: also something to think about would be to look at the numbers of championships since the Big East formed, and started the scramble for TV dollars. My guess would be that your traditional Football powers have even less shared success in both sports since then.

Comment

BTW, for the people wondering about Grant's salary at U of A, he was increased to 1.9 million per year, his contract runs through 2019.

Nick Saban is college football's highest paid coach with a salary of $6.9 million per year.

Comment

Originally posted by shocka khan View Post
                        BTW, for the people wondering about Grant's salary at U of A, he was increased to 1.9 million per year, his contract runs through 2019.
                        Ouch.

Comment

Nick Saban is college football's highest paid coach with a salary of $6.9 million per year.
                          You won't AG in the Valley then..
                          Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

By the way, and noting we have an Arkansas fan posting here, Arkansas won their last football NC in 1977. They also won in 1964, their only 2.
                            They won one BBNC under Nolan Richardson (I forgot the year and Wikipedia didn't post it). They have 6 final four appearances.

They have had more success in BB than in FB, apparently.

You're giving us too much credit. Arkansas did not win a FB NC in 1977. Our only one is 1964. We won in basketball in 1994.

Comment

I went to Wikipedia and did some research. I think unless you're from Michigan, Ohio, Florida or California, it's going to be difficult, if not impossible, to sustain success at a high level in both football and basketball. Note that those states have a lot more population than Alabama.

For 'big football' schools:
                              Texas has three final fours.
                              Oklahoma has had four, but one came in 1939, a second one in the early '50's (when the NIT was the hottest ticket in town). They've never won a national championship.
                              Alabama has never been in a final four.
                              USC has been to 2 final fours.
                              Florida State has been to one final four.

Now for the big basketball schools (except for UCLA):
                              Indiana - 8
                              Kentucky - 16
                              Kansas - 14
                              North Carolina - 18
                              Duke - 15.

All the big basketball schools have never had consistent, winning success in football.

The fact of the matter is that the alums support a consistent, winning tradition in sports and the only schools successful in both football and basketball for sustained periods (and competed for national championships) were in states that have relatively large populations. Running a top-flight program in either football or basketball is an expensive proposition. Running a top-flight program in both is hugely expensive. Usually the successful program drains resources from the 'unsuccessful' program.

Alabama not being a state with a relatively large population would make me conclude that they could be good at either football or basketball and they made that choice a long time ago.
                              Florida has had success both in football and basketball. That was the only school I could think of with fairly recent success in both sports

Comment

Notre Dame is a football school with a good basketball program.

Comment

Working...
                                X