The Annual HCGM's WSU Future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BamaPete View Post
    Not here to troll or flame, just set facts straight. Have no idea if Coach Marshall would consider Bama. But let's get facts out in open. Outside of Kentucky, Alabama is the SEC's most tradition rich basketball program going back decades. Alabama is second in the SEC in three big categories: All time wins, all time SEC titles, and all time home attendance. At one time Bama was second in sweet 16 appearances but pretty sure not now due recent drought by current coach. Bama's arena at one time was largest in SEC, third now at bit over 15k due to arena improvements at UK and UT. FWIW, so long and good luck to your team in the NCAA, beat ND.
    Alabama has 1 Elite Eight Appearance in their history, 0 Final Fours and a 20-19 record in the tourney. They are everything that Marshall said he didn't want. An average team. They would always be second thought to Kentucky in Basketball and second thought to Football in their own athletic department. Alabama can offer Money, but not much else that Marshall doesn't already have. There is no saying that WSU can't match what Alabama throws out there.

Comment

15k is a lot of seats. How often are they filled? The one game I remember was from Christmas 2013-14 season. Arena was dead against WSU, a ranked and undefeated program. Was that the norm or because of holiday break?
      I just want to stand on land...

@rjl:
      If I had a gun with two bullets and was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and a Creighton fan, I think I'd shoot the Creighton fan twice.

Comment

I mentioned this elsewhere, but may deserve repeating. These guys have competitive personalities AND egos. They want to go up to an AD and say, "I want this" and have the AD reply, "Do you want it on a silver or gold platter?" They do NOT want to here, "Sounds good. Let me run it by Saban and I'll get back to you." That is a big reason Roy Williams left KU; no more silver platter treatment. HCGM gets silver or gold platter treatment here (his choice ;-) ); I don't think money will matter. Alabama is a football school first (and probably second, too.) Like Texas, football is the dog at Alabama (as maybe it should be), and basketball is on the tail holding on. Can't see HCGM going there, no matter the dollars.

Comment

Is Alabama basketball a sleeping giant? I say yes, they're one of the few athletic programs that are profitable. And when I say profitable, they are making money hands over fist so they got all types of money to throw around. Just because Alabama is football dominated, there are many programs that have basketball success despite being number two in the pecking order. Florida basketball does pretty well so does Ohio State, Wisconsin, etc. it is not out of the box to think Alabama could not be as well.

Texas and Alabama have the deep pockets to throw an ungodly amount of money at GM. I would not be surprised if they made an offer that GM simply cannot refuse.

Comment

Originally posted by ISASO View Post
            Why would a reputable AD float this out before the season is over for your target?
            That was my first thought. Even if Marshall would have had any interest in them, I'm sure he doesn't appreciate them putting a distraction out for his team. Shut up and negotiate in quiet.

I don't see this happening. HCGM's old enough that he's only making one more move, if any, and I don't think this is the year he'd look at moving (next year's roster will be better, and I don't see him leaving before FVV/Baker graduate), and I don't think Alabama's a job that interests him.

He's had opportunities to leave for nothing more than cash before and he's rejected them. This will be a lot of cash, but I don't think cash is what he's after.

That said, Alabama's about to become a player. If they don't get Gregg, they're getting someone. I had a feeling this would happen with Auburn hiring Pearl.
            Originally posted by BleacherReport
            Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

Attached Files
              "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

There ain't a lot of hills in Kansas and only one in Wichita and Gregg Marshall is the absolute King of the Hill in Wichita. Money ain't everything.

Comment

Gregg wants to be at Wichita St.
                  Wichita St. wants Gregg Marshall forever.
                  ...the napkin being passed at the Scotch and Sirloin reads 3.2
                  FINAL FOURS:
                  1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                  1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                  Number of Times Ranked: 157
                  Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                  Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                  Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                  #3 - Dec. 2017
                  #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                  #2 ~ March 2014
                  Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Originally posted by KC Shox View Post
                    Is Alabama basketball a sleeping giant? I say yes, they're one of the few athletic programs that are profitable. And when I say profitable, they are making money hands over fist so they got all types of money to throw around. Just because Alabama is football dominated, there are many programs that have basketball success despite being number two in the pecking order. Florida basketball does pretty well so does Ohio State, Wisconsin, etc. it is not out of the box to think Alabama could not be as well.

Texas and Alabama have the deep pockets to throw an ungodly amount of money at GM. I would not be surprised if they made an offer that GM simply cannot refuse.
                    I really wish you wouldn't have welched on your bet so I didn't have to bother reading the insecurity that leaks out of a large majority of your posts.
                    Deuces Valley.
                    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by KC Shox View Post

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Attention Alabama fans. Thanks for stopping by and being respectful. Please don't automatically think that our Coach is dying to get out of Dodge (or Wichita). Missouri, NC State, UCLA and others have thought that he would automatically want to be their HC and he's still here. I'm not sure what would make Alabama different from those but who knows.

I am pretty sure that Marshall considers Coach Grant a friend and that could play into him taking or not taking the job. Coach Grant is a class act. I think you made a mistake by letting him go.

Wichita can pony up the $$$ too.

I have rooted for Alabama in all sports recently just because you coach has the nards to schedule us H/H.

Good luck with your Coaching search.

Comment

• I'm trying to figure out why this is getting so much press, especially right now. Marshall's agent is even addressing the vacancy and "considering" bringing it to Marshall right now. I don't think Bama is a legitimate possibility but the timing and the press seems strange. Hopefully it's just foreplay for Sexton to announce a $2.5 million lifetime contract with a raise every year.

Comment

• This comes up every time we talk about salaries and matching the "big boys." I hear that WSU can't match 3 or 4 million or whatever. That's bullcrap. If our community values the program like I know it does, we can match whatever is thrown around. If we want it to happen badly enough, we can keep our coach. Now the athletic dept. may not have the bills technically. But the green is there.

Comment

• There are compensation packages waiting in the wings here once the season is over, you can bank it. The war chest runs real deep

Comment

• The Annual HCGM's WSU Future

Please post all links and discussion in this location.
                                “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Working...
                                X