X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fun Twitter Banter from Seth Davis

Person 1: Will you have coach Marshall on your Campus Insiders Show
    Davis: I'm afraid of him
    Person 2: Come on Seth, he puts his pants on one leg at a time...
    Davis: I don't believe it. Gregg gives his pants a mean look and they put themselves on.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockthemonkey View Post
      His daughter is a senior in HS next year and we've all been told her and Lynn were a big part of him NOT going to Alabama. He's got probably one of the best teams ever coming back next season and he's said many times that he doesn't want to do another rebuild.

If we know anything about HCGM it is that he loves to win and he's not very patient about waiting to do it. NEXT year will be the year I worry about. All the seniors leaving and his daughter graduating opens up options in my book. Just my opinion.
      Well, then we all need to hope Indiana fires Tom Crean this year and not next year. That's the job I'm worried about the most out of any of them, for some reason. I think HCGM would LOVE to be the guy that brought Indiana back to being a perennial powerhouse.

Comment

• I normally don't get a chance to listen to the radio in the morning, but I had the chance to listen to 1410 sports radio this morning. What a waste of time that was. All they had to talk about was what happens if KANSAS STATE comes after HCGM? Are they serious? I have never coached basketball a day in my life and would probably turn it down. Why would they think one of the top coaches in the country would take a job like that?????
        Marge: The plant called and said that if you don't come in tomorrow, don't bother coming in Monday.
        Homer: WOOHOO! Four day weekend.

Comment

• Originally posted by capnkirk View Post
          I normally don't get a chance to listen to the radio in the morning, but I had the chance to listen to 1410 sports radio this morning. What a waste of time that was. All they had to talk about was what happens if KANSAS STATE comes after HCGM? Are they serious? I have never coached basketball a day in my life and would probably turn it down. Why would they think one of the top coaches in the country would take a job like that?????
          Plus, Bruce Weber makes about 2.1 mil/yr, Bill Snyder about 2.6 mil/yr. Anyone that thinks K-State has that sort of clout has been breathing in too many anhydrous fumes.
          Go Shocks!

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerDropOut View Post
            Plus, Bruce Weber makes about 2.1 mil/yr, Bill Snyder about 2.6 mil/yr. Anyone that thinks K-State has that sort of clout has been breathing in too many anhydrous fumes.
            Snyder will never take less than the basketball coach.

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
              Nor should he; Bill Snyder is Kansas State football. Without him the Wildcats IMO will quickly return to their original Mild Kitties persona.

Comment

I actually don't think Snyder would care if it was for the good of the University.

Comment

• The kittens are wringing their hands over the $2.5 mil buyout for Weber, they aren't coming up with the money to get Marshall to say hello on the phone.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker1976 View Post
                    Nor should he; Bill Snyder is Kansas State football. Without him the Wildcats IMO will quickly return to their original Mild Kitties persona.
                    He's not just K-State football he is K-State. They need to work on cloning him ASAP.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockthemonkey View Post
                      His daughter is a senior in HS next year and we've all been told her and Lynn were a big part of him NOT going to Alabama. He's got probably one of the best teams ever coming back next season and he's said many times that he doesn't want to do another rebuild.

If we know anything about HCGM it is that he loves to win and he's not very patient about waiting to do it. NEXT year will be the year I worry about. All the seniors leaving and his daughter graduating opens up options in my book. Just my opinion.
                      ...unless we change conferences.

Comment

Sorry Pinstripers, I have to disagree with this statement. Bill Snyder is a man of high quality and character. He would never, and I mean never, say anything about another coach's pay when compared to his. The man has way to much class for that.

Comment

• The thought of Gregg leaving after this year is almost comical in my opinion. If Gregg truly believes THIS team can win "several" games in March, why on Earth would he leave, especially for an absolute rebuild like Missouri. I'd guess Gregg would give up a whole year's salary for another chance to coach another legitimate national title contender, and if he truly believes this team can win several games in March, he has to believe that next year's team will be a legitimate national title contender.

I don't know if Gregg will be here forever, but it would be beyond shocking in my opinion for Gregg to leave this team. Legitimate national title contenders don't happen very often, in most places they happen never. I think the only way he would leave this year is if THE job came open. Fortunately, I don't think Cal is going to go coach in the NBA after this season either, otherwise I will start to get worried.

I listened to Gregg's comments in the post game press conference. Gregg Marshall is a business man. He gains nothing by saying "I've decided to retire in Wichita." He can say "we love to listen" knowing full well, all he is really doing is trying to milk his current cow just a bit more. He may leave at some point, but even if he has it in his mind that he won't, he has no reason to not play his hand in the best way possible.

The thought of Gregg to KSU is even more comical. Gregg has proven to be very adept at picking programs that have top end potential, for whatever level they may be at. Coach Wooden couldn't make KSU a perennial power. KSU will get beat down by KU for the rest eternity in basketball. They did long before Bill Self and Bruce Weber, and they will long after. Gregg, I'm certain has no desire to go somewhere that he thinks will not be able to compete as the dominating force in its league. Everyone off the farm knows KSU has no chance of ever being the dominating force in the Big 12.
                          Last edited by Heinro; March 6, 2017, 11:38 PM.

Comment

• I'm not surprised that Gregg would want to listen to Mizzou. I know that I like to listen to jokes.
                            "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

• Well said, monkey, Wheat, and Heinro.

Assuming the roster stays together and healthy -- and there's no reason to assume they won't -- next year's Shocks will return ~95% of the minutes, scoring, and rebounding from a team that has already won 30 (second only to Gonzaga) and is just getting warmed up. WSU will start next season in the top ten and be talked about as a serious #1 seed / Final Four / championship contender. You don't walk away from that, and especially not if you're as well paid as Marshall is and like to win as much as he does.

After next season could conceivably be a different story, with the majority of the roster scheduled for replacement. If you're inclined to worry, you might think that if Marshall doesn't want to rebuild he could find that prospect daunting. But even then he'll have a great returning nucleus -- more than he's had at least once during his great run -- and will be looking, based on history, not so much to rebuild as to reload.

A middling power conference program would not be a step up, certainly not this year and almost certainly next; and looking ahead just to next year, it isn't apparent that even a marquee program would be a step up. When all you need to do to compete for a championship is open the box, pour, and keep doing what you're doing; and you get paid $3.5 million plus in the process, how does it get better than that?

Comment

• Assuming Marshall stays, I'm excited to see how our success translates to such a large recruiting class for 18-19. Potential first 5 star?? Stealing recruits from the Chickenhawks?? Who knows, new faces can be fun.

Comment

Working...
                                X