The Annual HCGM's WSU Future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jdmee View Post
    Marshall's answer was no different than the answer he has given multiple times. He will answer any calls and serious offers, but he and his family is completely happy where they are at.
    This. You have to be a fool not to listen to serious offers, but there are exceedingly few schools that could afford to pay what we're already paying, and most of those are in basketball dumpster fire situations like Missouri.

And even if he did leave, we would likely have our pick of the "Marshall Tree," Heier, Jans, Forbes ... to pick right up and keep going.

I'm not worried.

Comment

• Also, he turned down 4.5 million from Alabama, who is in a WAY better situation in the same Conference as Mizzou ... I can't even see there would be serious talks.

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyShock View Post
        This. You have to be a fool not to listen to serious offers, but there are exceedingly few schools that could afford to pay what we're already paying, and most of those are in basketball dumpster fire situations like Missouri.

And even if he did leave, we would likely have our pick of the "Marshall Tree," Heier, Jans, Forbes ... to pick right up and keep going.

I'm not worried.
        If the invite does not come I would be very worried.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
          Fortunately, I am sanguine about the prospects of moving on to the AAC which is a game changer.
          I must start using this word here when I can. It gives this fan board a certain je ne sais quoi. :friendly_wink:

Comment

• Today on WHB 810 in KC, Soren Petro goes on a mini-rant on how his choice would be 3G for the Mizzou job. He did not give an indication that he thought there was a snowball's chance in Hades that he would take the job. It was quite complimentary actually on 3G coaching skills ... not so much on his personality. I know several of you do not like Petro, but I happen to think he's usually pretty solid.

It is in the Monologue starts about the 16:30 mark (in case you want to skip all of the grab-assery up front):

A couple notes:

He thinks Marshall is looking for a big payday. I disagree that this is a top priority (see ALABAMA 2016)
            He goes on a bit on how big a pain in the ass Marshall was/is ... I again disagree. In my few interactions with him, he has been as nice as can be.
            He does not mention a potential move to the AAC, which is a better BB conference than the SEC IMO.  This could be a huge game-changer.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
              This. I dunno why this insecurity happens yearly. I mean I get how the P5 idiot fans don't get it because they're simply ignorant. But members of our own fanbase not understanding really makes me wonder about the psyche of some people.
              Speaking of Moe Rons, I wonder if the erudite, articulate Missourians who infected this board last time around will show up to spout their 'wisdom' again???

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockadelica View Post
                Today on WHB 810 in KC, Soren Petro goes on a mini-rant on how his choice would be 3G for the Mizzou job. He did not give an indication that he thought there was a snowball's chance in Hades that he would take the job. It was quite complimentary actually on 3G coaching skills ... not so much on his personality. I know several of you do not like Petro, but I happen to think he's usually pretty solid.

It is in the Monologue starts about the 16:30 mark (in case you want to skip all of the grab-assery up front):

A couple notes:

He thinks Marshall is looking for a big payday. I disagree that this is a top priority (see ALABAMA 2016)
                He goes on a bit on how big a pain in the ass Marshall was/is ... I again disagree. In my few interactions with him, he has been as nice as can be.
                He does not mention a potential move to the AAC, which is a better BB conference than the SEC IMO.  This could be a huge game-changer.
                If HCGM leaves this year, it's not going to be for the dumpster fire that is Missouri basketball. Imo, he'll leave for Washington (Lynn is from that state, solid job in solid conference), Indiana (still perceived as one of those "big top jobs" by many) or NC State (we all know why). This year, out of all the past years, is the year I could see him actually leaving. If he doesn't leave for one of those jobs, he's probably never leaving unless someone like Duke or UNC comes calling after Coach K/Roy hang them up.

Also, you have to realize that Petro is coming from the limited, media side of interactions with HCGM. He's probably interviewed him 3 times in his entire life and perhaps those 3 times came on bad days. The rumor is that he's tough to deal with as a media member on certain occasions. Of course HCGM is nice to all the fans/boosters.

Comment

• Originally posted by XManCometh View Post
                  If HCGM leaves this year, it's not going to be for the dumpster fire that is Missouri basketball. Imo, he'll leave for Washington (Lynn is from that state, solid job in solid conference), Indiana (still perceived as one of those "big top jobs" by many) or NC State (we all know why). This year, out of all the past years, is the year I could see him actually leaving. If he doesn't leave for one of those jobs, he's probably never leaving unless someone like Duke or UNC comes calling after Coach K/Roy hang them up.

Also, you have to realize that Petro is coming from the limited, media side of interactions with HCGM. He's probably interviewed him 3 times in his entire life and perhaps those 3 times came on bad days. The rumor is that he's tough to deal with as a media member on certain occasions. Of course HCGM is nice to all the fans/boosters.
                  Washington?? I'll have whatever he's having.
                  Brummett throws, STRUCK HIM OUT! THE SHOCKERS ARE NATIONAL CHAMPIONS! AN UNBELIEVABLE STORY!

Comment

• Originally posted by XManCometh View Post

His daughter is a senior in HS next year and we've all been told her and Lynn were a big part of him NOT going to Alabama. He's got probably one of the best teams ever coming back next season and he's said many times that he doesn't want to do another rebuild.

If we know anything about HCGM it is that he loves to win and he's not very patient about waiting to do it. NEXT year will be the year I worry about. All the seniors leaving and his daughter graduating opens up options in my book. Just my opinion.

Comment

• Re: Washington - didn't coach say that they didn't like being cold?

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockthemonkey View Post
                        His daughter is a senior in HS next year and we've all been told her and Lynn were a big part of him NOT going to Alabama. He's got probably one of the best teams ever coming back next season and he's said many times that he doesn't want to do another rebuild.

If we know anything about HCGM it is that he loves to win and he's not very patient about waiting to do it. NEXT year will be the year I worry about. All the seniors leaving and his daughter graduating opens up options in my book. Just my opinion.
                        This ^

I might be a bit nervous next year IF AND ONLY IF the expected AAC invitation does not materialize.
                        Its a good landing if you can walk away, its a great landing if the plane can be reused the next day.

Comment

Re: Washington - didn't coach say that they didn't like being cold?
                          Seattle doesn't get very cold during the winter due to the influence of the Puget Sound and Pacific Ocean.
                          Its a good landing if you can walk away, its a great landing if the plane can be reused the next day.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockadelica View Post
                            Today on WHB 810 in KC, Soren Petro goes on a mini-rant on how his choice would be 3G for the Mizzou job. He did not give an indication that he thought there was a snowball's chance in Hades that he would take the job. It was quite complimentary actually on 3G coaching skills ... not so much on his personality. I know several of you do not like Petro, but I happen to think he's usually pretty solid.

A couple notes:

If 3G is as bad as some of these yahoos make him out to be then he would probably not be successful and you would probably have seen much more turmoil in the program in terms of assistant coaches leaving frequently for other than head coaching gigs, high levels of player turnover due to things other than the desire to play more and perhaps a lot of turnover among his administrative staff. Jim Rhome seems to love him some Gregg Marshall. Not sure what Petro's problem is and I never listen to him but he was not very impressive in that monologue. Sounds like a guy who thinks if he talks loud people will think he know something. It is true the 3G doesn't suffer fools easily and is testy when they ask dumb questions. Perhaps Mr. Petro has made that mistake before. I don't know. However, his take on 3G seems a bit detached from reality. Yes he is blunt and yes he is demanding and yes he expects you to do things his way. But the tryant Petro makes him out to be. I don't think so.

However, if that is the commonly held perception of 3G outside of Wichita then that may not be a bad thing. Keep stirring the pot Mr. Petro. Now what are we going to do about the much more influential Jim Rhome.

Comment

• Originally posted by WheatShock View Post
                              Seattle doesn't get very cold during the winter due to the influence of the Puget Sound and Pacific Ocean.
                              I have friends who live in Seattle. It's warm and sunny for precisely three months out of the year. The rest of it is 40 degrees and raining.

Comment

I have friends who live in Seattle. It's warm and sunny for precisely three months out of the year. The rest of it is 40 degrees and raining.
                                ^this^

Comment

Working...
                                X