The Annual HCGM's WSU Future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
    That they do. You rarely hear any talk of Mark Few moving one. Maybe he has made it clear it ain't happening.

Hopefully, the non-conference scheduling doesn't blow up in our faces like it did this year. Personally, I agree with the view that we should reject any games with the MEAC and the SWAC and other bottom feeders and replace those with a home and home with the best possible opponents we can find. I would love to schedule Gonzaga home and home/IBA. Don't know if they have any interest. How about St. Mary's. Lots of other possibilities as well. So we lose 1 home game per year. Not a big deal to me.

I guess that is much easier said than done.
    At least replace the MEAC & SWAC teams with Horizon & Summit league games if you can't find a quality home and home.

As far as Gonzaga i'm sure it would be fun but i'd rather play them ONLY if a home and home with a decent P5 team can't be found. The same thing goes for other "mid major" powerhouses, I would rather punch holes in the resumes of P5 teams than in at large chances of other teams in the same boat we are.
    Its a good landing if you can walk away, its a great landing if the plane can be reused the next day.

Comment

• Originally posted by WheatShock View Post
      At least replace the MEAC & SWAC teams with Horizon & Summit league games if you can't find a quality home and home.

As far as Gonzaga i'm sure it would be fun but i'd rather play them ONLY if a home and home with a decent P5 team can't be found. The same thing goes for other "mid major" powerhouses, I would rather punch holes in the resumes of P5 teams than in at large chances of other teams in the same boat we are.
      If we are at a level that losing to us would punch a hole in an opponents resume than we would we not have difficulty scheduling home and home deals with better teams?

Comment

• Gabe DeArmond said Marshall wanted 20 million guaranteed from Mizzou...
        "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post
          Gabe DeArmond said Marshall wanted 20 million guaranteed from Mizzou...
          This time or the last time they tried to get him?
          You miss 100% of the shots you don't take....

.....but, statistically speaking, you miss 99% of the shots you do take.

Comment

• Originally posted by Steeleshocker View Post
            Last time!
            "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• That's not accurate.

Comment

Originally posted by Steeleshocker View Post
                Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post
                Last time!
                Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                That's not accurate.
                It was "b" not a "m".
                Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                  That's not accurate.
                  Is that just what mizzou told their kin?

Comment

who is this Gabe?

Comment

• Originally posted by mjbaker84 View Post
                      who is this Gabe?
                      The mizzou beat writer. Not sure which paper, but he is the Paul Sullentrop of mizzou.

Comment

That was before he got his huge pay raise too. That number could probably be doubled now.

Comment

The mizzou beat writer. Not sure which paper, but he is the Paul Sullentrop of mizzou.
                          I don't know if I'd make that analogy. He's Missouri's Rivals guy, which means he's a fluffer. Those Rivals guys post stuff to drive traffic and appease their paid membership. I'm not sure how honest or accurate the so-called news is from those types. They're on the fringes of the media, for certain.

The better analogy is probably that Gabe DeArmond is MU's Matt Perrault.

Comment

• I wonder if the "coaching circles" whisperers who think this might be the year for Marshall to leave are the same brainiacs just now figuring out that WSU is a top-25 team and getting better every week.

If 3.3G wants to avoid rebuilding and compete for a national championship in the immediate future, like next year (and, really, who knows what lies ahead even this season?), he'd be hard pressed to find a better place than right here in River City. The current Shocks are very good and getting better -- but next year's team, if they stay healthy and together, may well provide his best chance yet to play for all the marbles. Think about it -- he'll have:

-- seven (!) seniors, including three starters and four key reserves, among them guys like the Wall of Shaq, Zach (the taller Tekele) Brown, Rashard the new Wessel, and the sharpshooter Marshall says is his best ever, who finally seems to have his mojo back

-- NBA future prospects in McDuffie and Shamet, both of them underclassmen

-- potential major new contributors in Reaves and Keyser who have been kept mostly under the radar this year by injuries

-- an enormous inside presence from the Great Dane like they haven't had for a while, a freshman just two weeks younger than McDuffie

-- over 95% (!!) of the scoring and rebounding scheduled to return from a national top ten offense; plus an extra year for his guys to master "Play Angry" team defense

That's a team you try to build, not one you walk away from.

Ever since the surprise dash to the Final Four, we on SN have been wondering what it would take to get over the last hump and play for the championship. We thought the undefeated team the following year maybe could do it, until a massively talented but hitherto underachieving Kentucky team, plus a bonk on the head that left FVV "Dazed and Confused" much of the second half in that epic game left them one shot short of a chance to keep going. Then last year Fred and Ron came back, and Anton showed up, to take one final shot that unfortunately was sidetracked by Fred's hamstring, Grady concussion, and Shamet's stress fracture. But next year's team may be his most talented and promising yet, plus the big bucks continue to roll in.

Valley or no Valley, where does it get any better than that?

Comment

• One thing that concerns me for Gregg's future is being in the Valley. I love the Valley but it is now like a minefield. One misstep and you are dead and you don't get credit when you successfully negotiate it.

I don't think Marshall would happy having a ncca tourney caliber team playing in the NIT.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fafhrd Mouser View Post
                                One thing that concerns me for Gregg's future is being in the Valley. I love the Valley but it is now like a minefield. One misstep and you are dead and you don't get credit when you successfully negotiate it.

I don't think Marshall would happy having a ncca tourney caliber team playing in the NIT.
                                Soren Petro, and Seth Davis agree with you.

Comment

Working...
                                X