No announcement yet.

The Annual HCGM's WSU Future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wow. Someone actually created that website. Some people have too much time.

Comment

• Another article on going after HCGM for the NCState job. I am not worried about NC State as he could wait for a non-rebuilding job with a blue blood, which would seem to rule out Indiana.

Take Aways:

There was a time when N.C. State, or Charlotte, could have hired Gregg Marshall inexpensively. Marshall, now at Wichita State, is unquestionably one of best coaches in college basketball, and I assure you he won’t back down from anybody.
      I don’t know if the Wolfpack can afford Marshall. It will cost them at least $4 million a year.
      Again, I don’t know if N.C. State can hire him. But if it has the basketball program that the school’s fans imagine, shouldn’t it try?
      “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

• I think he is more likely to go to NC State than Indiana. I'm not sure the money he would be offered will be the motivation for 3G. My thinking is that the chance to return back to his home territory would be the biggest thing. Next biggest motivation might be for the chance to prove himself in the ACC and against the likes of Duke and UNC on a regular basis. He is nothing if not a very competitve guy. Now the ultimate proof of being the alpha male of D-1 coaches might be to win a National Title or two at Wichita State but just getting into the Tournament in Wichita State's present situation is tough.

3G turns 54 years old next Monday. He has stated he doesn't want to coach forever although not sure what that means exactly but my guess is he won't coach much past 62 to 65 years old. His engine does run hot and that can take a toll over time. IMO he has no more than 1 more coaching change on his horizon (if that). If NC State would guarantee him 10 years at $3.5 to $4 million per year I think he would be tempted.

Of course there are mitigating circumstances that would work to keep him at Wichita State. 1) Lynn apparently is very happy in Wichita. Happy wife, happy life. 2) Maggie has one more year of high school. Hard to know how important that is. Would he be willing to leave Lynn and Maggie behind for a school year? 3) He has a hell of a team coming back next year. 4) If 3G is not the King of Wichita who is. As his mentors have told him -- coach where they love you.

I am not really concerned about it one way or the other. I hope he stays. But if he would decide to leave I would thank him from the bottom of my heart for what he has done for Wichita State and wish him the best. I would also be comfortable that we would be able to hire a top notch replacement. In fact, I am not sure we need to look any further than our own bench.

The one thing we do know is that 3G will always be willing to listen (as he should).

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
          I think he is more likely to go to NC State than Indiana. I'm not sure the money he would be offered will be the motivation for 3G. My thinking is that the chance to return back to his home territory would be the biggest thing. Next biggest motivation might be for the chance to prove himself in the ACC and against the likes of Duke and UNC on a regular basis. He is nothing if not a very competitve guy. Now the ultimate proof of being the alpha male of D-1 coaches might be to win a National Title or two at Wichita State but just getting into the Tournament in Wichita State's present situation is tough.

3G turns 54 years old next Monday. He has stated he doesn't want to coach forever although not sure what that means exactly but my guess is he won't coach much past 62 to 65 years old. His engine does run hot and that can take a toll over time. IMO he has no more than 1 more coaching change on his horizon (if that). If NC State would guarantee him 10 years at $3.5 to $4 million per year I think he would be tempted.

Of course there are mitigating circumstances that would work to keep him at Wichita State. 1) Lynn apparently is very happy in Wichita. Happy wife, happy life. 2) Maggie has one more year of high school. Hard to know how important that is. Would he be willing to leave Lynn and Maggie behind for a school year? 3) He has a hell of a team coming back next year. 4) If 3G is not the King of Wichita who is. As his mentors have told him -- coach where they love you.

I am not really concerned about it one way or the other. I hope he stays. But if he would decide to leave I would thank him from the bottom of my heart for what he has done for Wichita State and wish him the best. I would also be comfortable that we would be able to hire a top notch replacement. In fact, I am not sure we need to look any further than our own bench.

The one thing we do know is that 3G will always be willing to listen (as he should).
          As someone in my 60's I can tell you that change in your mid 50's is daunting. I think 3G wants to go out on the top of his game and not risk a rebuild in a location where he and his family would have to pick up and move and establish new friends. If he were to move I think the sunshine state would be more tempting than anything else. Just my opinion though.
          I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

I think he is more likely to go to NC State than Indiana. I'm not sure the money he would be offered will be the motivation for 3G. My thinking is that the chance to return back to his home territory would be the biggest thing. Next biggest motivation might be for the chance to prove himself in the ACC and against the likes of Duke and UNC on a regular basis. He is nothing if not a very competitve guy. Now the ultimate proof of being the alpha male of D-1 coaches might be to win a National Title or two at Wichita State but just getting into the Tournament in Wichita State's present situation is tough.

My biggest concern is GM sticking around long enough for Fred Van Vleet to have finished his playing career in time to take the reigns.
            "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• Originally posted by kcshocker11 View Post
              As someone in my 60's I can tell you that change in your mid 50's is daunting. I think 3G wants to go out on the top of his game and not risk a rebuild in a location where he and his family would have to pick up and move and establish new friends. If he were to move I think the sunshine state would be more tempting than anything else. Just my opinion though.
              Change in your mid-50's might be daunting and difficult for the average person. Not sure it so much applies when you are set for life financially and doing what you love to do at the very highest level. Then other considerations come into play.
              Last edited by 1972Shocker; February 23, 2017, 03:10 PM.

Comment

Change in your mid-50's might be daunting and difficult for the average person. Not sure it so much applies when you are set for life financially and doing what you love to do at the very highest level. Then other considerations come into play.
                He wants to win more than anything. Neither NCState nor Indiana are without building and looking long term. These are not programs that would interest him imo. I don't see him leaving, for sure not for these programs. Winning 25 games a year and making 3.5 million is intoxicating too.

Comment

• Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
                  He wants to win more than anything. Neither NCState nor Indiana are without building and looking long term. These are not programs that would interest him imo. I don't see him leaving, for sure not for these programs. Winning 25 games a year and making 3.5 million is intoxicating too.
                  They may not be programs that interest him. I have no way to know although he will listen to what they have to say if for no other reason than to keep Wichita State and its supporters on their toes.

Will he retire from Wichita Sate? Maybe. Maybe not. Even though he has publicly stated that he is a caretaker of a program others have built, and while their is some truth that, he knows and we know that he is the primary architect of what we have in place right now and I am sure he takes a lot of pride in that and may not be interested in walking away from that now that Wichita State has stepped up to the plate with the big bucks.

Comment

They may not be programs that interest him. I have no way to know although he will listen to what they have to say if for no other reason than to keep Wichita State and its supporters on their toes.

Will he retire from Wichita Sate? Maybe. Maybe not. Even though he has publicly stated that he is a caretaker of a program others have built, and while their is some truth that, he knows and we know that he is the primary architect of what we have in place right now and I am sure he takes a lot of pride in that and may not be interested in walking away from that now that Wichita State has stepped up to the plate with the big bucks.
                    I just have this to say about HCGMs future and then I'm done on this subject: The administration and wealthy alumni jumped through hoops to give our coach everything he needs (within their control) to ensure he is set financially and is able to sustain success on the court. If 3G entertains any job offers in the offseason in the next couple years, it's going to start wearing thin. Commitment and loyalty is a two way street. That said, I truly believe 3G is a man of high character and we have nothing to worry about this offseason.

Comment

• Another NC State write up:

Take Aways:

He’s making an obscene amount of money now – north of $3 million per year, well north of that per some reports. He’s got easily the best job in his conference, one of the best mid-major jobs period, and as close to lifetime job security as a coach can have, I’d wager. He’s turned down numerous Power 5 openings – most recently, spurning a reported $4 million plus offer from Alabama. He’s spoken more than once about how the grass isn’t always greener with the big Power 5 jobs. Ain’t happening, folks. He’s nah gah dahit. Move on.
                      In a 2014 interview, Marshall revealed that State in 2011 was the closest he’d come to leaving Wichita. So the interest was there, and in many ways State is a better spot in 2017 than it was in 2011.
                      I doubt he’s going to the SEC after turning down the big Bama bucks, unless it’s for Kentucky, and Cal ain’t leaving in the near future. He has no ties to the Pac-12 or the Big East. Among the better B1G jobs, Ohio State and Indiana could open soon. Maybe he’s considered for those gigs…or maybe they hire Chris Mack and Chris Holtmann instead. In the ACC, it’s hard to see him in the mix for UNC or Duke down the road. Bottom line: outside of NC State in 2017, I don’t see many obvious landing spots in the bigger leagues.
                      I’m not even sure we can come up with the kind of $ needed to land Marshall (we may not need to offer a huge raise, but he sure as hell ain’t taking a pay cut)
                      “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

• Originally posted by DUShock View Post
                        He thought long and hard about NC State, in 2011 when he was thinking NIT, hoping NCAA's, searching for decent talent, making $750-$1M, and had WAY less money to play with in his program overall. NC State may be in a better spot today versus 2011, but WSU has changed solar systems since 2011.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
                          but WSU has changed solar systems since 2011.
                          In many ways we have but we are still orbiting Elgin/St. Louis with the rest of the MoVal teams minus Creighton plus Loyola.

Comment

In many ways we have but we are still orbiting Elgin/St. Louis with the rest of the MoVal teams minus Creighton plus Loyola.
                            And Gonzaga orbits the same, respective to their situation.

Comment

• Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
                              Just for conversation sake, IU would be a quicker, easier fix than the Wolfpack. By far. They get McDonalds all-americans in "down" years.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
                                And Gonzaga orbits the same, respective to their situation.
                                That they do. You rarely hear any talk of Mark Few moving one. Maybe he has made it clear it ain't happening.

Hopefully, the non-conference scheduling doesn't blow up in our faces like it did this year. Personally, I agree with the view that we should reject any games with the MEAC and the SWAC and other bottom feeders and replace those with a home and home with the best possible opponents we can find. I would love to schedule Gonzaga home and home/IBA. Don't know if they have any interest. How about St. Mary's. Lots of other possibilities as well. So we lose 1 home game per year. Not a big deal to me.

I guess that is much easier said than done.
                                Last edited by 1972Shocker; February 23, 2017, 06:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X