• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
    Name 3.
    1. $
    2. $
    3. $

We have the highest paid coach who doesn't coach the best basketball in the world every four summers. He is legit friends with one of the richest men in the world. He has as many perks as any coach and better perks than 99%. He is happy.
    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by KC Shox View Post
      Don't kid yourselves folks. Yes, Memphis has had some struggles the past couple of years and GM would have to rebuild some, but Memphis' foundation is set and ready. It took GM just two years at WSU to rebuild the Shox into a 20 plus game winner in this third season. I doubt it would take him longer at Memphis. He's a lot closer to recruiting hotbeds and talent, basketball is king at Memphis (while they've had some success of late in football, basketball still rules the roost there). Memphis offered 4.6 million a year for 6 years to keep Coach Cal, they have the money to lure GM. He'll be closer to home too.

While it may seem as a lateral move right now comparing the levels of success the two programs have had the last 4-5 years, Memphis does have good history and is considered a national brand name. This gig, IMO, is better than 'Bama and Vandy.

I believe his daughter will be a junior next year so I think that will play a major role in GM staying here. After she graduates, then I'll start chewing on my nails.
      All true. Especially the part about Maggie...
      Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
        Ah, that's the radio face we know and love. It's been a little bit but he's finally back to form.

If that job is truly better, then I guess Marshall is gone. Care to put your money where you distorted mouth is Jeffy?
        The bolded section above is a really big, and stupid, leap to take. I know you don't really mean it and are simply trying to be passive aggressive toward *******.

1) I think Memphis is a slightly better job than WSU. Very similar overall, probably arena and conference give them a slight edge. I'd be willing to listen to pro-WSU arguments, and maybe I could even be convinced to change my mind. Regardless, it seems like reasonable people could fall on either side of the argument.

2) Marshall will not leave for a job that is only "slightly" better. Breaking ties with a university you love is hard. Moving your family is hard. It will take a job that is significantly better to steal him away. Memphis is not it.

3) Did Jeff ******* ever say he thought Marshall would leave? I've heard him say Memphis is better, but haven't heard him take it a step further to actually predict Marshall goes to Memphis.

4) The insecurity being shown by many fans on this board is tiresome. Learning how to deal with differing opinions without spiraling into an emotional tizzy is something that should have been learned in elementary school.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockdaWorld View Post
          I'd say yes, you are crazy. Anyone that thinks Memphis is not a step down from WSU right now has got to be crazy. :)
          Why? The quality of the job isn't solely based on how good next year's team will be. What about the program as a whole, with a 5+ year outlook, makes Memphis so obviously a step down?

Comment

• "Memphis says national search to begin immediately to replace Pastner" - The Commercial Appeal

"...Who might Memphis go after? Wichita State coach Gregg Marshall has been a hot name for openings for the last few seasons, but Marshall is making roughly $3 million a year. He's slated to make $3.5 million at Wichita State beginning in 2018, according to the Wichita Eagle.

If Memphis couldn't land Marshall, other candidates it might consider are VCU's Will Wade, Ole Miss' Andy Kennedy and East Tennessee' Steve Forbes. Memphis could also look locally to a Penny Hardaway, who's coaching at East High, or make a run at Duke assistant coach Jeff Capel, who removed his name for the consideration for the Georgia Tech job this month...."

Comment

• [QUOTE=Jamar Howard 4 President;652698]The bolded section above is a really big, and stupid, leap to take. I know you don't really mean it and are simply trying to be passive aggressive toward *******.

1) I think Memphis is a slightly better job than WSU. Very similar overall, probably arena and conference give them a slight edge. I'd be willing to listen to pro-WSU arguments, and maybe I could even be convinced to change my mind. Regardless, it seems like reasonable people could fall on either side of the argument.

The reality is, it is or is not a better job based on what the individual looking at it thinks. Everyone has different criteria. Does a better arena with more seats make it a better job? Does more money make it a better job? Does living in Wichita make this a better job? Does not matter, because what I think is what matters and that is not the same as what someone else would find appealing or "better". What Marshall and his family thinks is what matters. He does think WSU is a great job and better than many that have come calling because he has stayed and has said so. Memphis fans think their job is better...I would to if I cared about Memphis. I don't. I think and believe that WSU is a better situation and job. My opinion, and that means nothing to the Marshall's or anyone else for that matter.

Comment

• Jamar Howard 4 President

"1) I think Memphis is a slightly better job than WSU. Very similar overall, probably arena and conference give them a slight edge. I'd be willing to listen to pro-WSU arguments, and maybe I could even be convinced to change my mind. Regardless, it seems like reasonable people could fall on either side of the argument."

The reality is, it is or is not a better job based on what the individual looking at it thinks. Everyone has different criteria. Does a better arena with more seats make it a better job? Does more money make it a better job? Does living in Wichita make this a better job? Does not matter, because what I think is what matters and that is not the same as what someone else would find appealing or "better". What Marshall and his family thinks is what matters. He does think WSU is a great job and better than many that have come calling because he has stayed and has said so. Memphis fans think their job is better...I would to if I cared about Memphis. I don't. I think and believe that WSU is a better situation and job. My opinion, and that means nothing to the Marshall's or anyone else for that matter.

Comment

• Memphis reminds me a lot of NC State. Good fan support with solid $$$ behind the program, but wow, do their fans ever have expectations that need serious readjustment.

It seems like a great place to go if you are a big name wanting to coach another 3-5 years while clipping a fat paycheck. They will love the splash of a big name, and by the time your welcome has worn out you are ready to retire anyway. If you have designs on lasting another decade or two, then going to an AAC program whose fans will create billboards cheering your demise after you've made 4 NCAA Tournaments in your first 6 seasons would give me serious pause. For most folks, the extra money would make that annoyance worth bearing. If the extra money is minimal, however, I don't think I'd want to step into that viper pit.

Comment

• Interesting reading comments from Memphis fans, Marshall doesn't seem on the radar. Most brought up not wanting to overpay. Most favorable comments are for Penny Hardaway, Capel, Pearl, and even McDermott.

Comment

• Originally posted by thunderkwb View Post
                      Interesting reading comments from Memphis fans, Marshall doesn't seem on the radar. Most brought up not wanting to overpay. Most favorable comments are for Penny Hardaway, Capel, Pearl, and even McDermott.
                      Overpaying isn't a terrible point. WSU is paying Marshall for the F4 and S16 runs. Another school would have to pay him for those things without having achieved them yet.

Comment

• Originally posted by thunderkwb View Post
                        Interesting reading comments from Memphis fans, Marshall doesn't seem on the radar. Most brought up not wanting to overpay. Most favorable comments are for Penny Hardaway, Capel, Pearl, and even McDermott.
                        I've seen a lot of people mention Forbes. He would be a bargain hire and IMO very solid.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jamar Howard 4 President View Post
                          Why? The quality of the job isn't solely based on how good next year's team will be. What about the program as a whole, with a 5+ year outlook, makes Memphis so obviously a step down?
                          I don't think the program as a whole is a step down, but it isn't necessarily attractive enough for HCGM to leave. In 5 years, we could have skyboxes and a new conference. (Who knows what was promised to Marshall besides money, but I think this push for a new conference is part of the overall deal.) Therefore, if next year's team is better, it isn't worth leaving. So, RIGHT NOW, it could be considered a step down. Maybe. But not a step up.

Comment

• Gary Parish says only way Memphis gets Marshall is if they go BIG (give him everything he wants). He said he doesn't think Memphis wants to go big and hire Marshall - they want to hire a young and up and coming "Marshall" type.

Comment

• I wonder if moving home games to IBA would be an additional thing we could do to sweeten the pot for Marshall? He seems to be more of a fan of that sort of thing. Would surely increase AD revenue due to the addition of 5K more season tickets, in spite of lease payments.

Not to say I am personally a big fan of moving away from CKA, to be clear.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockers5150 View Post
                                It's worked out great for Turgeon... the whole leaving for greener pastures crap.
                                Perhaps if he was chasing a paycheck.
                                Moved his family all over the country away from his roots for what?

Comment

Working...
                                X