The Annual HCGM's WSU Future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BasketballJones188 View Post
    Memphis fan here. Ignore him. He started off well. He's resorted to childish tactics
    wow...followed me to another board just to argue, huh? sorry WSU fans, we have a small but vocal group of miserable fans who hate positive people.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
      Sooo state of the Memphis program is that they were so bad they had to pay someone to take their coach. Must be a proud moment.
      Georgia Tech didn't have to hire him...they made their own bed...have fun in the ACC, Josh!

Comment

• Marshall may very well elect to stay put; however, there is no denying the fact that Memphis offers him a better chance to consistently recruit the level of player who would enable him to contend for national titles. Now, that may not be important to Coach Marshall... and there is much to be said for being happy...but do not fool yourself into believing the Memphis job does not offer the right coach the chance to consistently compete at an elite level.

Personally, I believe Memphis is just the kind of program to appeal to a guy like Marshall. I think he likes being outside the Power 5 and is motivated by taking on the establishment. Too, Memphis is a program, much like Wichita, where the city/ region is invested and the basketball program is the #1 story in the market. Everything he has at Wichita, he would have more of at Memphis; yet he'd also live in a city that handed Josh Pastner 4 HS All-Americans (Eliot Williams, Joe Jackson, Adonis Thomas, Austin Nichols) and helped him land 3 more in Will Barton, Jalen Kendrick and Shaq Goodwin. 7 HS All Americans in 7 seasons at Memphis. How many has Wichita helped Marshall land? I know VanVleet was an 150 guy out of HS but its tough to consistently win on an elite level w/o consistent access to elite talent.

I respect the Wichita program and appreciate the support of the fanbase. I also respect the heck out of your coach because he has elected to remain loyal to y

Comment

Sooo state of the Memphis program is that they were so bad they had to pay someone to take their coach. Must be a proud moment.
          I think its more a reflection of the sad state of the Georgia Tech program.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sabretooth View Post
            Marshall may very well elect to stay put; however, there is no denying the fact that Memphis offers him a better chance to consistently recruit the level of player who would enable him to contend for national titles. Now, that may not be important to Coach Marshall... and there is much to be said for being happy...but do not fool yourself into believing the Memphis job does not offer the right coach the chance to consistently compete at an elite level.

Personally, I believe Memphis is just the kind of program to appeal to a guy like Marshall. I think he likes being outside the Power 5 and is motivated by taking on the establishment. Too, Memphis is a program, much like Wichita, where the city/ region is invested and the basketball program is the #1 story in the market. Everything he has at Wichita, he would have more of at Memphis; yet he'd also live in a city that handed Josh Pastner 4 HS All-Americans (Eliot Williams, Joe Jackson, Adonis Thomas, Austin Nichols) and helped him land 3 more in Will Barton, Jalen Kendrick and Shaq Goodwin. 7 HS All Americans in 7 seasons at Memphis. How many has Wichita helped Marshall land? I know VanVleet was an 150 guy out of HS but its tough to consistently win on an elite level w/o consistent access to elite talent.

I respect the Wichita program and appreciate the support of the fanbase. I also respect the heck out of your coach because he has elected to remain loyal to y
            You may as well be going after Elvis. :)

Comment

• its tough to consistently win on an elite level w/o consistent access to elite talent.
              Yet he does! Thats why everyone wants him.
              I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

• If you take out Memphis' vacated NCAA Tournament results, here's what you get:

Final Fours:
                WSU - 2
                UM - 1

Elite 8's:
                WSU - 4
                UM - 4

Sweet 16's:
                WSU - 6
                UM - 6

So this idea that Memphis' program is historically, just head over heels above Wichita State's, is just not true. A little better? Yeah, I'll give you that.
                Last edited by DPruett2333; April 8, 2016, 06:06 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by DPruett2333 View Post
                  If you take out Memphis' vacated NCAA Tournament results, here's what you get:

Final Fours:
                  WSU - 2
                  UM - 1

Elite 8's:
                  WSU - 4
                  UM - 4

Sweet 16's:
                  WSU - 6
                  UM - 6

So this idea that the Memphis' program is historically head over heels above Wichita State's is just not true. A little better? I'll give you that.
                  Also...

NCAA Wins:
                  WSU - 17
                  UM - 20

Comment

• Originally posted by Sabretooth View Post
                    Marshall may very well elect to stay put; however, there is no denying the fact that Memphis offers him a better chance to consistently recruit the level of player who would enable him to contend for national titles. Now, that may not be important to Coach Marshall... and there is much to be said for being happy...but do not fool yourself into believing the Memphis job does not offer the right coach the chance to consistently compete at an elite level.

I deny it. He competes for a National Title in Wichita. What's this "Everything he has at Wichita, he would have more of at Memphis.." cr@p?? Spoken like someone who doesn't realize what he has here....

Comment

• Originally posted by OregonShocker View Post
                      I deny it. He competes for a National Title in Wichita. What's this "Everything he has at Wichita, he would have more of at Memphis.." cr@p?? Spoken like someone who doesn't realize what he has here....
                      I've seen them list out what they think they need to offer like it's special. High assistant budget, high recruiting budget, chartered flights, access to private jets.

I don't think they realize he already has all of that plus more here.

Comment

• I know what he'd have more of in Memphis: more pressure. Memphis fans are notoriously unrealistic, considering their position as P5 outsiders just like us. They just ran off a guy who went to the NCAA's four out of his six years. Now, he likely would've needed to be put out to pasture at some point, but Memphis fans were calling for his head when he was still making the tournament.

Comment

• Wichita produces 1 D-1 kid a year. Memphis prolly 7 or 8

Comment

• Sounds like Sabretooth is a true blue, so to speak, Memphis booster. Good luck to him and their new coach.

Edit: Oh, by the way, I hope Sabretooth's new guy will be successful enough that our crew of VERY nervous Nellies who take every rumor and tweet seriously enough to analyze Marshall, his imagined reaction, and his future will at least be able to quit concerning themselves with Memphis for awhile. No doubt they'll find some other school(s) to dither about once March rolls around each year (and complain they're tired of "having to" do so), but at least maybe they can forget about Memphis.
                            Last edited by WSUwatcher; April 8, 2016, 06:48 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by DPruett2333 View Post
                              If you take out Memphis' vacated NCAA Tournament results, here's what you get:

Final Fours:
                              WSU - 2
                              UM - 1

Elite 8's:
                              WSU - 4
                              UM - 4

Sweet 16's:
                              WSU - 6
                              UM - 6

So this idea that the Memphis' program is historically head over heels above Wichita State's is just not true. A little better? I'll give you that.

You can take ou wha you yet it still doesn't change the fact that its easier to recruit high level kids to Memphis than Wichita. We had to face a similar reality when Kentucky came calling on Calipari. Cal had turned down South Carolina. He had turned down Arkansas. He had turned down NC State. We had actually began to believe he loved the community so much, he'd turn down Kentucky, too. We were wrong. Again, I have no idea if Memphis is going to put together the kind of package to go after a guy like Marshall, but it sounds like on the surface, they are aligning the right people to do so. If they do, he'll have a tough decision to make.

Comment

I've seen them list out what they think they need to offer like it's special. High assistant budget, high recruiting budget, chartered flights, access to private jets.

I don't think they realize he already has all of that plus more here.
                                I guess a media member in the Memphis area today said that he thought Memphis would get Marshall with $3.5M/yr, a $700K assistants budget, chartered road games, and access to private jets for recruiting and family stuff.

Gee... I wonder where he already has that, almost down to the letter?

EDIT: Freaking auto-correct.
                                Last edited by SHOCKvalue; April 8, 2016, 06:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X