The Annual HCGM's WSU Future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
    I personally hope Texas gets Smart and Stevens sticks it out in Boston this year to take the Indiana job next year. Haha.
    Tom Crean will kick ass next year. Solid as gold.

Comment

• Originally posted by moshock View Post
      It seems to me that these BCS honks can't understand the word "Happy".

They think that any non BCS coach can't wait to jump ship and go to any BS..I mean BCS job. That might be the situation with most non BCS schools. I could see - and have witnessed it (SMS) - a coach jumping at the first opportunity. WSU is an elite level job in comparison to most BCS/non BCS jobs that are out there.

Many AD's have offered 3G more money - supposedly better opportunities - better conference affiliation - etc - etc -etc and all so far have walked away shaking their head. I don't think Alabama will be any different.

We (WSU) do need to address this if he stays. Hopefully we do something along these lines:

$2.5 m per year base w yearly raises
      $500k - various incentives
      $25m payable in 10 - 12 years if he is still here
      $5m buyout (either way)

That is an ass-load of $$$ and should keep him here until retirement. It should help recruiting also.
      Currently it would cost WSU about $11 million to buy him out which increases as his base salary increases. Since he has a continual, automatically renewing 7-year contract his buyout will always be 6 years x his base salary. So I'm not sure about the $5m buyout. It would be nice to get some compensation though if he leaves but he and his agent may not want a big buyout the other way that might lessen his attractiveness to other suitors. I would not push the buyout portion at all.

Otherwise, I think you're on the right track. Not sure if they can manage a $25m lump sum annuity payment either. $10m might be doable.

Comment

• Originally posted by Old Gregg View Post
        Hey guys, friendly Alabama Alum here, what is the general feeling on your end about the decision?
        95% chance he stays

Comment

• Chip Brown@ChipBrownHD 28s28 seconds ago
          Sources: #Texas hoping to finalize terms with #VCU's Shaka Smart as the #Longhorns' next basketball coach ($). http://texas.scout.com/forums/2441-horns-house/13775341-sources-texas-close-to-finalizing-terms-with-smart?s=110 …

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockerman View Post
            this is getting old, we can't go through this every year until he leaves can we?
            It's either this or talk about whether Brett Favre comes back for another year.
            ============

Reviewing the best establishments and restaurants in Wichita
            www.wichitabyeb.com

Comment

Haha thanks. Why wouldn't he just go ahead and tell us no? Doesn't seem fair to everyone else in this process
              We don't know that he hasn't said no. I doubt anyone in the Alabama camp is going to come out and say "hey he turned us down". He has NEVER announced that he said no to a prospective client himself. They just all solved themselves when they hired someone else. Silence generally means no in the case of Marshall.

Comment

• Originally posted by GreatWhiteBuffalo View Post
                From Alabama's SB Nation site, Roll Bama Roll, here's what is being said. Obviously the site's host doesn't have much opinion one way or the other, but they do link stories from other sources.

A candidate wishlist: so much good, young coaching talent. Who will Alabama approach & who will say yes?

http://www.rollbamaroll.com/2015/3/3...-31-march-2015
                And it rolls right back into football discussions.

Comment

Haha thanks. Why wouldn't he just go ahead and tell us no? Doesn't seem fair to everyone else in this process
                  How do you know he hasn't? He doesn't need to make a press conference to embarrass Battle.

Comment

Hey guys, friendly Alabama Alum here, what is the general feeling on your end about the decision?
                    I think the majority thinks he will stay. But perhaps that projects more our hopes and desires than any real 1st hand knowledge. Clearly we are hoping and praying he stays. I really have no idea myself. Still could go either way I guess. Unfortunately, my hopes and desires are all but irrelevant to whatever decision Coach Marshall and his family makes.

I suppose if we really wanted to know which way the wind's blowing we would see if we could get a betting line going in Las Vegas.

We do know that he and his family are and have been very happy in Wichita and that his coaching mentor is on record as telling him not to mess with happy and to coach where you are loved. He knows he has that in Wichita. He has absolute freedom to run his program as he sees fit within the rules and he pretty much gets everything he asks for.

One thing that we do not seem to know much about is what kind of enhanced compensation package has WSU put together and presented to Coach Marshall or if that has even been done yet.

Comment

• Here's a question based on two assumptions, with Texas looking like they will hire Shaka Smart and Marshall passing on the grand opportunity in Alabama...Does it solidify the Shocker faithful in the next few years or does it add some question since Marshall didn't get the job he was supposed to be interested in (Texas)? Does that have Marshall thinking a tier below that prestige level at all?

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockBlue View Post
                        Here's a question based on two assumptions, with Texas looking like they will hire Shaka Smart and Marshall passing on the grand opportunity in Alabama...Does it solidify the Shocker faithful in the next few years or does it add some question since Marshall didn't get the job he was supposed to be interested in (Texas)? Does that have Marshall thinking a tier below that prestige level at all?
                        It's a good question and one I wondered about myself. But again unless you are a telepathic freak and can read 3G's thoughts the answer to that is nigh impossible to know.

If UNC did not have the academic mess hanging over its head I would think Gregg would hold out for a shot at that job in the future. But with the academic scandal mess overhanging UNC maybe he would consider lowering his sights a little bit. Again, no way of really knowing what Gregg is thinking.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockBlue View Post
                          Here's a question based on two assumptions, with Texas looking like they will hire Shaka Smart and Marshall passing on the grand opportunity in Alabama...Does it solidify the Shocker faithful in the next few years or does it add some question since Marshall didn't get the job he was supposed to be interested in (Texas)? Does that have Marshall thinking a tier below that prestige level at all?
                          A lot of different reports about the Texas stuff are swirling around. I am not 100% sold that the Texas job wasn't offered to him. The Texas AD said he didn't think Marshall's personality would be a good fit, but that might be code for "we offered it to him with certain restrictions and he demanded too much control." So assuming it wasn't offered, I think that's a good question. Maybe he would be willing to jump next year to something lower. Losing FVV and Baker in the same year will feel like a good transition point for him. It will feel like he's running out of time maybe. I don't know. If Texas did offer him the job, I think he can be confident he's going to continue to get excellent offers.

Comment

• Just back from a meeting. I will get more inside baseball to Kai via private message, including who I am.

Suffice to say, important people at the University feel VERY good about Marshall - both about this year and the future. Something may break on this today.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Coach View Post
                              Just back from a meeting. I will get more inside baseball to Kai via private message, including who I am.

Suffice to say, important people at the University feel VERY good about Marshall - both about this year and the future. Something may break on this today.
                              Kellen? Lynn? Is that you? :)

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                                It's a good question and one I wondered about myself. But again unless you are a telepathic freak and can read 3G's thoughts the answer to that is nigh impossible to know.

If UNC did not have the academic mess hanging over its head I would think Gregg would hold out for a shot at that job in the future. But with the academic scandal mess overhanging UNC maybe he would consider lowering his sights a little bit. Again, no way of really knowing what Gregg is thinking.
                                Wrong. I know exactly what his is thinking!

β€œLet your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
                                -Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Comment

Working...
                                X