No announcement yet.

What would a win mean?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If head to head matchups don't determine who the better team is, why do KUfans like to make a big deal out of their championships? Surely they weren't 1 seeds every year that they won, right?
    One quick note before we present the rankings: With Wichita State’s move to the American Athletic Conference, the Shockers have moved out of the mid-major club. We wish the Shockers well against Cincinnati, UConn, SMU, and more.

Comment

Originally posted by DJ06Shocker View Post
      Can you tell that to your coach? I'd love to end that problem.
      I'd love to play Kansas every year. Would be great. But there are certain facts about scheduling and the finances thereof. If we continue our incredible run, I think it will happen, though.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerInLawrence View Post
        In my opinion, Kansas is a better team than we are this year. Almost by definition, then, they have to have an off game. I'm not arguing that they played abysmally and we limped to victory. I'm arguing that they played poorly, due in part to our play and in part to their own failings.

The NCAA tournament is terrible at determining who the best teams in the country are, but it's incredibly good at determining who can seize the moment and play better once. We did that. We're going to do it again next weekend. And then, in all likelihood, we're going to get beaten by UK. They're better than us too. Problem is, they're consistently excellent.
        The game wasn't really that close. From watching one game (the one that counted when it really mattered) it looked to me like WSU would win 7 or 8 out of 10 if they played that many.

Your preconceived notion that KU is a better team has seriously clouded your judgement and ability to watch and understand a game between the two teams.

Claiming to be a WSU fans - and then coming to this message board and stating that KU is the better team - which was obviously demonstrated to be a false assumption..that takes some enormous cojones.
        The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
        We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by Shoxthemonkey View Post
          If head to head matchups don't determine who the better team is, why do KUfans like to make a big deal out of their championships? Surely they weren't 1 seeds every year that they won, right?
          It's a question for KU fans. They clearly weren't the best team in '88. Similarly, UConn clearly wasn't the best team last year.

Comment

It's a question for KU fans. They clearly weren't the best team in '88. Similarly, UConn clearly wasn't the best team last year.
            Cuz WSU was, amirite?

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
              The game wasn't really that close. From watching one game (the one that counted when it really mattered) it looked to me like WSU would win 7 or 8 out of 10 if they played that many.

Your preconceived notion that KU is a better team has seriously clouded your judgement and ability to watch and understand a game between the two teams.

Claiming to be a WSU fans - and then coming to this message board and stating that KU is the better team - which was obviously demonstrated to be a false assumption..that takes some enormous cojones.
              Again, it's okay to disagree. From all the CBB I've watched over the course of this year (every WSU game, lots of everything else), I reached my conclusions. You reached yours similarly, I presume. It's okay to differ.

Comment

I'd love to play Kansas every year. Would be great. But there are certain facts about scheduling and the finances thereof. If we continue our incredible run, I think it will happen, though.
                Ah yes. The scheduling complications and finance angle. I suppose you have nothing to gain by scheduling the game?

I do agree that the games will come now though. KU is not going to allow this to be the last word. Sample size, you know.

Comment

Originally posted by DJ06Shocker View Post
                  Ah yes. The scheduling complications and finance angle. I suppose you have nothing to gain by scheduling the game?

I do agree that the games will come now though. KU is not going to allow this to be the last word. Sample size, you know.
                  I really don't know why you say all of this with such snark. It's all true. I do agree the games will come, sooner or later, if we keep this up.

Comment

In my opinion, Kansas is a better team than we are this year. Almost by definition, then, they have to have an off game. I'm not arguing that they played abysmally and we limped to victory. I'm arguing that they played poorly, due in part to our play and in part to their own failings.

The NCAA tournament is terrible at determining who the best teams in the country are, but it's incredibly good at determining who can seize the moment and play better once. We did that. We're going to do it again next weekend. And then, in all likelihood, we're going to get beaten by UK. They're better than us too. Problem is, they're consistently excellent.
                    Unlike Shockerfever I was willing to give you the benefit of the doubt. Fev has a very short fuse with questionable posters that make edgy remarks. I'm not a fan of his handling at times, but it is what it is. Where you are losing your balance here is the constant comment about KU being the better team and the insinuation that KU needed to be off their game and WSU to be on ours to win. This year the difference in who is better is almost immeasurable. If the game was replayed tomorrow, KU could very well be the winner. We weren't on our A game today. Our post presence was inconsistent at best. We were out rebounded soundly. We gave up 14 offensive rebounds, which never happens. We committed more turnovers than normal. KU had a lot to do with us not being sharp, just like we were responsible for KU being less than stellar. We won today because we were better at executing our stuff. The moon and stars don't have to be perfectly aligned for us to beat KU. We are as good as they are in general, but today, we were much better. I am certainly interested in your opinions, but as a new poster, use better judgement and don't start your relationship here with edgy opinions until you have put your toe in the water first.

Comment

• @Shocker:Gametime: Wichita State is the ONLY college basketball program in the country with a current streak of 3 straight 30-win seasons. #ShockerNation
                      The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerInLawrence View Post
                        I really don't know why you say all of this with such snark. It's all true. I do agree the games will come, sooner or later, if we keep this up.
                        I like you. I really don't disagree with you. Your points are right. You are a state of Kansas fan and I am too. I have a lot of KU fan friends and we all get along. I'm just having so much fun with this win and I'm sorry for the roasting. I believe you that you follow WSU. Don't you enjoy getting the last word after all the condescending crap we have to put up with every year? It just feels good to know the programs aren't that different at the moment based on what's on the floor. Celebrate with us and don't tell me why KU is still better. Have a little fun with your team (WSU).

Comment

Hell, I don't know what to tell you guys. I've ecstatic that we beat Kansas and added another S16 to this incredible run that is the past few years. I think we match up well with ND, too. Great chance to add another win (or two?) next weekend.

That said, Kansas did not play well today. We played well on the defensive end and made shots when it counted. I don't take anything away from this team. But, at the top of their game, Kansas is a better team than we are. Problem is, they've been laughably inconsistent this year and it was part of their downfall.

I'm not sure why you guys take such offense to that idea. Being realistic and being a fan are NOT incompatible. This team is what it is, and when it plays like it did today, it's capable of beating a lot of really good teams.

You guys can believe me or not, but I've been a fan since I was a kid. I love this year's team. I'm just objective enough to know what it is and what it isn't.
                          I believe you. You have to remember, when you put anything in your name that reminds Shocker fans of KU, you're always going to be thought of differently.

As to Kansas not playing well today, a lot of teams that Wichita State plays haven't played well.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOXMVC View Post
                            Unlike Shockerfever I was willing to give you the benefit of the doubt. Fev has a very short fuse with questionable posters that make edgy remarks. I'm not a fan of his handling at times, but it is what it is. Where you are losing your balance here is the constant comment about KU being the better team and the insinuation that KU needed to be off their game and WSU to be on ours to win. This year the difference in who is better is almost immeasurable. If the game was replayed tomorrow, KU could very well be the winner. We weren't on our A game today. Our post presence was inconsistent at best. We were out rebounded soundly. We gave up 14 offensive rebounds, which never happens. We committed more turnovers than normal. KU had a lot to do with us not being sharp, just like we were responsible for KU being less than stellar. We won today because we were better at executing our stuff. The moon and stars don't have to be perfectly aligned for us to beat KU. We are as good as they are in general, but today, we were much better. I am certainly interested in your opinions, but as a new poster, use better judgement and don't start your relationship here with edgy opinions until you have put your toe in the water first.
                            Noted, and hats off to you for your relative civility, sir. I'm not sure I'm into the whole keep-"edgy"-opinions-to-yourself thing. There's nothing particularly edgy about claiming one top 10 team is better than another, even if the other is my team anyway. I never said the moon and the stars had to align. Not once. Kansas didn't execute as well as we did today. That's not entirely due to our disruptive style. That's the sum of my argument. There are several teams that I estimate to be better than us this year. That doesn't mean we can't beat them. It doesn't mean everything has to go wrong for us to beat them. It means that I think we would lose more often than not, given a sufficient sample size. Last year, that pool was smaller (basically just Arizona and Florida).

This really isn't a crazy opinion. Perhaps the timing is not great, but I didn't mean to start this argument. I'm proud of this team and eager to see them beat ND next weekend.

Comment

• Originally posted by DJ06Shocker View Post
                              I like you. I really don't disagree with you. Your points are right. You are a state of Kansas fan and I am too. I have a lot of KU fan friends and we all get along. I'm just having so much fun with this win and I'm sorry for the roasting. I believe you that you follow WSU. Don't you enjoy getting the last word after all the condescending crap we have to put up with every year? It just feels good to know the programs aren't that different at the moment based on what's on the floor. Celebrate with us and don't tell me why KU is still better. Have a little fun with your team (WSU).
                              It does feel good, though I try to tune out the condescending pricks. Every fanbase has 'em. I apologize if you feel like I've been a d*ck to you or anyone else here; it's not the time for that. It's time to celebrate and look forward to a huge game (or two) next weekend.

Comment

But, at the top of their game, Kansas is a better team than we are.
                                You are incorrect.

WSU: #10. KU: #13.

We simply are the better team this year. We beat them on the court, and, over the course of the full season, we were the better, more efficient team, when adjusted for quality of competition.

Teams lose to worse teams all the time. But that's not the case here. There is no argument for KU being the superior team this year. Every statistical measure has WSU ahead, the game played on a neutral court was a blowout victory, etc.

I don't know/care whether you're a Johnny-come-lately or being a troll. WSU is the better team, and it's almost impossible to argue that.
                                Originally posted by BleacherReport
                                Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

Working...
                                X