What would a win mean?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would a win mean?

Hey guys. I'm a Shocker, graduated with the class of 2006, and decided I'd seek out a Shocker forum with all the buzz around the game today.

I'm just curious what you guys think a win today would mean. Around here, everyone seems to think this game is more or less meaningless beyond tourney implications, and it seems like it probably is for KU; they'll continue to be one of the nation's top programs, win or lose. Is this game mostly one for validation in your minds? Obviously the sentiment attached to this game is that it's for much more than a S16 appearance.

What are your opinions on the stakes?

It's an opportunity to advance first. It's bragging rights second. That's all.
    Livin the dream

Comment

It means advancing! Period. I want another crack at KENTUCKY!!!
      Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

It means the winner goes to the Sweet 16.

We don't need a win over KU to validate anything.
        "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

It has been fantastic 4 years ... to add a Sweet 16 appearance to it would be amazing.

Comment

Sweet 16 banner hanging...And a week of Shocker madness building up to a meeting with SHOWTIME Notre Dame....

Comment

"It's a funny dynamic," said the Shockers' Fred VanVleet, "because the blood-hate rivalry is more for the people who grew up in the tradition. You take a guy like me from Illinois who doesn't know anything about it, it's not quite the same.

VanVleet pauses, and then adds with a grin: "I'll hate them just as much when it's time to suit up, though, because they're in our way to the Sweet 16."
              Source: http://espn.go.com/ncb/preview?gameId=400786304

Comment

^ What Fred said.

Comment

It would be funny to get under the skin of KU fans even more with a win, but most importantly it's a chance to move on in the tournament. We have bigger fish to fry, and they just happen to be in our way.

Comment

It will mean another 30 win season.

Comment

It means another game to watch Tekele Cotton as a Shocker

Comment

There's obviously more implication to this for people here than just a Sweet 16 :)

Hell, most of us cheer against KU regardless. The opportunity to get into the S16, have Kansas lose, and have the victory over Kansas are all major wins.

But the S16 and a chance to go further are much more important to this program overall. Kansas isn't going to start scheduling us if we win, it's not going to change the minds of the kind of people who would dismiss WSU for being in the MVC, etc. It's the chance at another great tourney and another win over a top program, further establishing WSU's credibility for future rankings, future seeding, possible future conference changes, etc.
                        Originally posted by BleacherReport
                        Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

Sweet 16. Regardless of the outcome, KU fans' opinion of us won't change, and like Fred said, the hatred is with the fans. Bigger goals than beating KU, and KU has bigger goals than beating WSU.

Comment

Win and it's one more team out of the way of the Shox progressing. The likely next 2 teams the Shox face would be Notre Dame and Kentucky. I think KU is a tougher game than Notre Dame would be.

WSU's last 2 losses in the NCAA's were Louisville in 2013 and Kentucky in 2014. Those were very close games that could have gone either way. Kansas does not look to be at the level of those teams right now. A loss to Kansas at this point would mean that this year's WSU team didn't perform at quite the level of the last 2 teams. That's not a shock, a surprise, or a disappointment. Most Shocker fans respect and understand the unusual talent and performance levels of those 2 teams and the fact this this team might not be at the level of the previous 2 teams.
                            The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                            We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Oooh a win would also hopefully get us one step closer to joining a new conference.

Comment

Working...
                              X