Lutz, Marshall, Self and Turgeon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lutz, Marshall, Self and Turgeon

Lutz has written an article in the March 17 edition of the Wichita Eagle.

For certain reasons, I cannot access the website and provide a link to you.

Lutz discusses the history of KU v. WSU basketball games. Also, he discusses Coach Self and his reasons for refusing to play WSU.

In some manner, Coach Turgeon became a part of the story. Coach Turgeon is quite sympathetic to Coach Self.

I have always been a supporter and defender of Coach Turgeon except when he stole a recruit away from WSU.

I am quiet ticked that Coach Turgeon butted in and defended Coach Self, his college days not withstanding.

In my view, Coach Turgeon should have resisted his urge to blab about the issue.

Side note: Whenever I hear and see an interview with Coach Calipari, I sorta cringe. He seems so smarmy.

(I could not find another thread about this subject. So Kai, please relocate my post, if necessary.)

@_kai_: edit: Here is the article link thanks to @1972Shocker: http://www.kansas.com/sports/college...e14653865.html
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

I can't say I disagree with him too much. Look, I get why they don't schedule us, both from a financial and recruiting perspective. Would I love to see it? Hell yes. I bought tickets for Sunday the second they announced it. But honestly, what they do doesn't affect us and vice versa.

I guess I just don't understand why so many here care so much about being validated by KU scheduling a home-and-home with us. Growing up in a family full of KU fans, I could not stand K-State fans who did have and continue to have the biggest inferiority complex known to man with KU. We've been successful without the invitation, and we will continue to be successful. I don't give a damn what anyone in Lawrence or College Park thinks to be perfectly honest.

But I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't love to wipe the floor with them on Sunday (assuming we both win). That would be extra sweet.
    "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Link to Lutz' Column:

http://www.kansas.com/sports/college/wichita-state/article14653865.html

Comment

I wasn't bothered with Mark's comments because he has been on both sides of it. I can guarantee that he REALLY wanted to play KU when he coached here.

As for scheduling KU, I will say that if we beat them on Sunday, we will get a scheduled game in the next five years. Why? For the same reason that the Border War would have continued if Missouri wouldn't have blown that big lead in the final game between the two at AFH. KU wouldn't let the opponent get the last word. They'd settle the score and then discontinue once they get the last laugh.
        78-65

Comment

Not gonna lie, that quote from Turgeon is massively dissapointing to me.

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
            I wasn't bothered with Mark's comments because he has been on both sides of it. I can guarantee that he REALLY wanted to play KU when he coached here.

As for scheduling KU, I will say that if we beat them on Sunday, we will get a scheduled game in the next five years. Why? For the same reason that the Border War would have continued if Missouri wouldn't have blown that big lead in the final game between the two at AFH. KU wouldn't let the opponent get the last word. They'd settle the score and then discontinue once they get the last laugh.
            I very much disagree with you, on both accounts. We won't get a scheduled game regardless.
            "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Updated your post Ricardo with 72's link.
              ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

The linked article is by Rustin Dodd, not Bob Lutz.

Comment

Turgeon's quote is disappointing; especially the Wichita " remembers the one."
                  The fact of the matter is that building a brand is one issue. Protecting that brand is another.
                  Depending how KU does this tournament will indicate whether KU is in a free fall "protect" mode.
                  Take away '08, and a lot of phoggers would want Self out of there.

WSU has bigger goals than to simply schedule KU. That was so.... 25 years ago.
                  The Shox don't need any condescending relevance passed down from Mt Oread.
                  Times have changed.

Comment

I'm thankful for Turgeon and all that he did here (obviously minus some of his antics when he left the program), but he would easily root like a fanboy for KU were the two schools to play. It's no question where his allegiance lies.

Comment

This part is the only part that might rub one the wrong way:

“I think it was great for Wichita State,” said Turgeon, a guard on the losing end of the 1987 game. “I don’t think it was that good for Kansas. They played nine times; in Wichita, they just remember the one.”

Yeah, sorry mark, but I don't hear anyone running around Wichita bragging about one game in 1987. The 1981 game you will hear mentioned ever so often, but more so because of the circumstances.
                      “Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
                      -Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Comment

Originally posted by kochHead View Post
                        This part is the only part that might rub one the wrong way:

“I think it was great for Wichita State,” said Turgeon, a guard on the losing end of the 1987 game. “I don’t think it was that good for Kansas. They played nine times; in Wichita, they just remember the one.”

Yeah, sorry mark, but I don't hear anyone running around Wichita bragging about one game in 1987. The 1981 game you will hear mentioned ever so often, but more so because of the circumstances.
                        I think what he meant to say is that he wishes people in Wichita would remember the one in 1987 in which he was a participant and lost his ass.

Comment

To be fair, KU has only played 3 valley teams in the last 10 years, and I don't think they remember any of them in Lawrence.

Funny how that works.

Comment

I don't have a problem with his viewpoint, I completely understand it. But I have a huge problem with him saying it. He knows better, yet he decided to take sides.

Comment

The only reason I find it odd is because there are a whopping THREE D-1 teams in Kansas. The fact they don't all play is... odd. I grew up in NC where there are about 18 D-1 teams. Obviously they can't all play each other, but UNC has scheduled a ton of the 'other' UNC teams in the past 6 or so years. WSU keeps winning, that will take care of the recruiting issues... especially if HCGM stays a few more years. To me, it's not that big of a deal. Just stuff for fans to fight about. WSU was horrific in the 90's so it's too bad that that's when the series was still going on (4 games?) Anyway, playing on Sunday would be great. I think WSU can beat them... just gotta make shots. :-) Go luck Shockers.

Comment

Working...
                              X