Missouri Valley Conference Post Season Honors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shockeriffic View Post
    Fair enough. I still don't see how Carter makes it over someone like Daishon Knight though.
    My guess is the voters are supplied with nominees and some basic stats for each.

Knight's soring increased by 5.3% from 13.2 PPG to 13.9 PPG and his rebounds declined by 32.6% from 4.6 RPG to 3.1 RPG.

Carter's scoring increased by 45.6% from 7.9 PPG to 11.5 and his rebounding increased from 20% from 5.4 PPG and 4.5 PPG.

Were Darius' numbers primarily a function of just getting more PT? His PT increased 19.2% from 18.2 MPG to 21.7 MPG.

Knight's minutes increased 3.5% from 28.4 MPG to 29.4.

So yes some of Darius' improvement was related to increased playing time but his scoring numbers increased at double the rate of his MPG increase and his rebounding increase was in line with his increased playing time.

Knight's scoring increase more or less in line with his extra PT but his rebounding declined significantly.

Both Knight and Carter were on the All-Newcomer team last year. Knight was honorable mention All-Conference last year but Darius was not. Knight was 2nd-Team All-Conference this year while Darius was HM. So they both moved up a notch.

I think they have been treated fairly.

As far as Most Improved Team goes Daishon was simply a victim of his own doing in establishing such a strong baseline last year.
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 4, 2015, 04:48 PM.

Comment

With Knight, his shooting percentages are all much better and he cut his turnovers. Last year he hijacked the offense too often to take bad shots. Just cutting that out of his game makes him vastly improved.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockeriffic View Post
        With Knight, his shooting percentages are all much better and he cut his turnovers. Last year he hijacked the offense too often to take bad shots. Just cutting that out of his game makes him vastly improved.
        Those are good points although the term vastly may overstate the case a bit. In any case, I think you are giving most of the voters too much credit if you think they are going to dig that deep.

One thing about the All-Bench Team and the Most Improved Team is that they are not awards created or governed by the MVC. These are concoctions of the print press and are only voted on by the beat writers. The coaches, SID's and radio/TV announcers do not vote on these and they are no procedures in the MVC Basketball Handbook covering these awards. In fact, they are not even mentioned in the handbook.
        Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 4, 2015, 09:48 PM.

Comment

Jacobson wins CoY

Comment

The Valley.

If you ain't 1st, you're 2nd. And if you're 2nd, you're 1st.

Comment

Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
              That's what happens when another coach in the league is expected to: win the league, be highly ranked, make noise in the tourney.

All hyperbole aside, Jacobson is a great coach and has had a terrific year. Good for him.
              The Assman

Comment

This might be a good time to remind everyone of who won the Valley Tourney MVP last year. There are certain people in this world that it is best to not make angry.

Comment

Originally posted by SHURTZtheHERTZ View Post
                  Jacobson is a great coach and has had a terrific year. Good for him.
                  Jacobson IS a great coach and HAS had a terrific year.

But by no objective metric is Marshall not a GREATER coach having a BETTER year.

Comment

Ummm didn't UNI get picked 2nd in the valley? Isn't that exactly where they finished? How is that more deserving than Marshall? Hell he won back to back at that? Even Lansing was more deserving than Jacobsen only for over achieving most people's predictions lol.

Should have been Marshall's award. SMH at this conference...
                    "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

Oh, you managed to beat WSU? Here's the coach of the year trophy...

Comment

I hope Sexton makes a statement that Marshall will receive his CoY bonus anyway.

Comment

Jacobson IS a great coach and HAS had a terrific year.

But by no objective metric is Marshall not a GREATER coach having a BETTER year.
                          This award is often not about who has the better year but who has the better year relative to expectations. 3G has expectations racheted up to that point that he might have to have undefeated seasons to win this award again.

Coach Jacobson winning this award this year was pretty much what was anticipated by most.

I like Coach Jacobson. Hopefully, UNI will be able to hang on to him. He seems to be pretty content at UNI and he saw what happened to his predecessor when he tried to "upgrade".
                          Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 5, 2015, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                            This award is often not about who has the better year but who has the better year relative to expectations. 3G has expectations racheted up to that point that he might have to have undefeated seasons to win this award again.
                            Jacobson's UNI team was expected to get 2nd in the league. They got second in the league.

One might think it is more impressive to coach a team to a league victory over the team that has the player of the year on it.

Also, if there is a coach that has expected to win the league and have a Top 10 ranking, and he delivers, he should probably be the coach of the year.

Comment

Jacobson's UNI team was expected to get 2nd in the league. They got second in the league.

One might think it is more impressive to coach a team to a league victory over the team that has the player of the year on it.

Also, if there is a coach that has expected to win the league and have a Top 10 ranking, and he delivers, he should probably be the coach of the year.
                              Both Coaches had COY worthy years. UNI had the POY but no other All-Conference players outside a couple of HM's. 3G had the reigning POY, 2 preseason All-Americans, the Valley Defensive Player of the year, 3 All-Conference players and 1 honorable mention, etc.

I have no problem whatsoever with Jacobson winning this award and I doubt that 3G does either. He doesn't strike me as being that insecure nor should he be.
                              Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 5, 2015, 01:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                                Both Coaches had COY worthy years. UNI had the POY but no other All-Conference players outside a couple of HM's. 3G had the reigning POY, 2 preseason All-Americans, the Valley Defensive Player of the year, 3 All-Conference players and 1 honorable mention, etc.

I have no problem whatsoever with Jacobson winning this award and I doubt that 3G does either. He doesn't strike me as being that insecure nor should he be.
                                No he isnt insecure. But he is also pretty damn competitve. He may not lose sleep over this. But i bet he also doesnt like coming in 2nd in ANYTHING. I have no doubt it bothers him some.
                                "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

Working...
                                X