No announcement yet.

Missouri Valley Conference Post Season Honors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This joke conference and its media members continue to amaze me. Gotta spread out that communistic love.

It's so typical I'm not even surprised anymore.
    Deuces Valley.
    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Maybe Tekele will just have to win back-to-back MVC Tourney MVPs as well. That will really make the writers look more ignorant (if that is even possible :)).
      The Assman

Comment

Mock doesn't bother me. Balentine does. He's a volume scorer, whose scoring isn't really that high, on a losing team, that was shut down by a good defender.

Comment

While I feel for Cotton, I love that it gives us some more fuel for our fire this weekend. Screw them all! Lets go out and dominate in this tournament and in the next and then let them see the errors of their ways. With the type of guy that Cotton seems to be, he's okay flying under the radar, its never been about him in his mind. I just hope his teammates get so pissed off that they take it out on every other team they see in STL. Go Shox!

Comment

Maybe Tuttle will melt his PoY trophy down to make rings for he and his teammates. Cause they aren't getting them any other way.

Comment

Good job to Shaq for making All-Freshman!
              The Assman

Comment

Originally posted by Jhook89 View Post
                Mock is the league leader in rebounds and double doubles by a mile and Balentine is the leagues leading scorer. Though I full heartedly think Cotton should of made it over one of them, I also can't argue that much about either one of them being left off the first team.
                D.J. Balentine is a very fine player. But he is also the product of an Evansville system that gets him a ton of shots but also produced a 5ht place finish despite have one of the league's better post players roaming he paint for the Aces.

Balentine took 460 shots from the field this year representing 30.3% of Evansville's total FG attempts and he also took 26.0% if their FT attempts. At times it looked like the other players on Evansville's team were under orders to pass up shots. Even Mockevicius only took 210 FG attempts making 59.0% of those.

By comparison Ron Baker took 339 shots or 20.6% if Shocker FG attempts and 20.6% if Shocker FT attempts.

I think D.J. Balentine is a good player but if I'm drafting a team I take Tekele over D.J. and it is not really that close..

As I said in a previous post maybe the Valley should just to to a 10-man All-Conference team and eliminate the 2nd team.

Comment

You would think they would learn how to spell the cash cow's name correctly.

Comment

This league is a joke. Tuttle is not better than our three and shouldn't have gotten the award. It's not the shockers fault that the WSU athletic department gets its sports teams at a higher level than the rest of the valley. So they shouldnt punish our players. I'm sure the rest of the league is saying we can't let WSU win all the awards year after year. And then to leave Cotton again off first team yet give him defensive MVP. What a joke.

Comment

Originally posted by jegbomb52 View Post
                      Evansville having two on first team is a joke. You think you guys feel jobbed by equaling them in honors, we had one player on the first and second team being doubled up by E'Ville and TRIPLED up by Illinois State. Think we have a gripe? We had one of the best teams seasons in the modern history of the Valley.
                      UNI was basically penalized for what makes them good. A deep team with a lot of good players who share the ball and have probably the most balanced attack in the league.

I anticipate Coach Jacobson will win the COY award. On the face of it he should finishing he the conference at 16-2 (5 games clear of 3rd place) with only 1 All-Conference player. I'm sure HCBJ will consider the COY year to be a team award.

So having the POY and COY are nice consolation prizes and well deserved.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                        So a team with two 1st Team All-Valley players can finish no better than 9-9 and 5th place in the conference. Should we expect the COY award to go to Marty Simmons?

Regarding Tekele being left off the 1st team I think the Valley has a rule that the Defensive Player of the Year is usually not allowed to be on the All-Conference 1st Team and is certainly disqualified for POY consideration.

For example, last year Shocker WBB Alex Harden was clearly the best player in the Valley but she was also clearly the best defensive player as well. A compromise of sorts was apparently reached. Give the POY award to the Valley's leading scorer (from a 5th place team) as if that is all that counts and the make Alex the Defensive POY. Of course, their is no way they could keep Alex from 1st team All-Conference honors. She is in the same situation this year. It will be interesting to see how the Valley deals with this. It is interesting to note that last year's women's POY was due to return this year but was suffered a season ending injury and her team went from 5th to 2nd without her. OTOH Alex's team under her leadership has won back-to-back conference titles. What does that tell you?

I think Tekele and Alex are the victims of a couple of things at play here. 1) an anti-WSU bias around the Valley perhaps due to an inferiority complex or perhaps just plain jealousy and 2) voters who simply look at scoring averages and have no real understanding of what makes a really valuable player.

But that is just the way it is in the Valley of Even or is that the Valley of Get Even.
                        Is that seriously a rule (official or unofficial)? How difficult would it be to just let people vote for whoever the f*ck they want regardless of whatever other awards they've won? The only awards that need to be linked are POY on1st team, DPOY on Defense team, and FOY on freshman team (or newcomer or whatever)

Comment

Hey PlayAngry,
                          PLEASE,PLEASE,PLEASE, don't ask for a shutout. Remember 3G said that if his team ever pitched a shutout he was going to retire!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerMas View Post
                            Is that seriously a rule (official or unofficial)? How difficult would it be to just let people vote for whoever the f*ck they want regardless of whatever other awards they've won? The only awards that need to be linked are POY on1st team, DPOY on Defense team, and FOY on freshman team (or newcomer or whatever)
                            That was tongue-in-cheek. It just seems like a rule.

Comment

I'm glad for the guys that were honored and am not going to nitpick the choices. Winning the conference is a bigger accomplishment than any individual award and I'm sure our guys think the same. They'll take rings over a little plaque with their name on it. We've got more rings to win.

Comment

If you were going to put together a team of Valley players to beat Kentucky, who would you pick first?

I'd pick the best player personally. Or I'd pick the best winner. Neither would be Seth Tuttle. Not a knock on him, but this award was given to the one that achieved the most over expectations. Typical Valley move.

Comment

Working...
                                X