No announcement yet.

Marshall to Texas offseason rumors...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If Barnes doesn't make the NCAA Tournament I would be SHOCKED if he is still the Texas head coach by the time the Final Four rolled around.

Comment

• Any Danny Ainge sightings? That is my #1 indicator that this Texas thingy (or any other) might have legs. People need to be watching in STL, perfect place to have some secret meetings.

Comment

• Rick Barnes is perfect for Texas:

1) get high level talent
        2) do just enough to make the tourney every year
        3) occasionally make some noise

For a school that doesn't care as much about basketball, thats great ;)
        The Assman

Comment

• I'm not sure if this thing has legs or if it's just rumblings among the fanbase. UT has more bball support than TAMU but it's still a big gap between this and football. They've got problems with football right now too, so who knows where the focus is. From what I hear on the streets, the fans are frustrated in having high level recruits and not being able to do much with them. Myles Turner was expected to be the second coming of Kevin Durant. It hasn't panned out that way and the fans are getting impatient.

Comment

• Tom Crean on the hot seat??

Comment

• Originally posted by choida View Post
              Tom Crean on the hot seat??
              Tom Crean is an idiot, hot seat or no.

Comment

• Originally posted by choida View Post
                Tom Crean on the hot seat??
                Got a link? Wouldn't surprise me.

I think the Barnes-Texas relationship is damaged beyond repair and Barnes' departure definitely has legs. You have to remember, the AD (Patterson) is new and not the one that hired Barnes, so he has no loyalty to Barnes. Second, Patterson came from the NBA. So while their fan base may be apathetic to the program, I don't think Patterson is.

Does Marshall to Texas have legs? That I'm not sure about. I think he will listen if Texas calls. The question is, will they call? With Patterson's experience, someone like Brad Stevens would really make sense for him (experience in both), and if NBA folks aren't interested, someone who has run a high major program like a Tony Bennett makes sense, especially if they are at a place where Texas can money slap them. That seems to be his trend in hires at least.

This bears watching to see 1) if Texas gets rid of Barnes 2) they make a call here. I think the first is a very real possibility. I'm not sure about the second, yet.

Comment

• I would think the 3G is on the short-list of just about every P-5 AD in the country. I telephone call does not cost much in time or money.

Perhaps the same applies to Shaka Smart. How about Shaka Smart to Texas and Anthony Grant back to VCU.

Comment

• Gregg will give Texas the same courtesy he gave to Missouri and NC State. He will politely listen to what they have to say. I still believe Texas will get the same answer as the others did.
                    Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

• Wasn't Patterson the AD at Pitt? I thought he and Jamie Dixon were tight.

Perhaps Dixon would be his first choice. I think Dixon did go to school at either
                      SMU or TCU, one of the DFW schools.

Could be a differt Patterson though.

Comment

• Originally posted by rayc View Post
                        Could be a differt Patterson though.
                        Must have been. http://texassports.com/sports/2013/1...32.aspx?id=476

Comment

• "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• I'm sure the rumors have some potential... But looking at this roster and the talent that will exist when these freshman are Seniors and this years recruits are Juniors, it'll be nuts. I think it'd take a lot of $$ and a creative pitch from Texas to lure 3G into a rebuilding project with that talent in the pipeline.

Comment

• Patterson isn't very popular with a large swath of UT fans right now. They have a lot of issues with the gameday experience that has soured many of them, similar to our dislike of the timeout entertainment BS. His honeymoon was pretty short. I spend a lot of time on one of their boards because I spend a lot of time in Austin. I have become friends with several of the posters there and ,to a man, they don't like 3G. They don't like that he doesn't bow down to the BCS. Most on that board want Shaka or Archie Miller. The posters pushing for a Marshall to UT thing are mostly jhawks and 'clones, go figure. The thing that they all agree on is that Rick Barnes needs to be gone. I would guess that Marshall is on the short list of every P5 AD in America and I'm fine with that. I wouldn't want a coach that nobody else wanted. HCGM can get everything here that he could get anywhere else except for ESPN knob slobber and I don't get the impression that is high on his list of wants. Even if he does decide to leave us someday, I will thank him warmly for all that he has done for us. Go Shocks!
                              One quick note before we present the rankings: With Wichita State’s move to the American Athletic Conference, the Shockers have moved out of the mid-major club. We wish the Shockers well against Cincinnati, UConn, SMU, and more.

Comment

• Gregg was on the Tim Brando show this morning and while they weren't specific to any program, they did ask about if he is content at WSU and why. He gave all the reasons we've all heard, repeated that he gets very well compensated and sounded very sincere. Another great interview after which Brando said 3G is a top 5 college BB coach and should be the first coach called for the Texas gig. Didn't think Marshall would take it though.

I just don't see him leaving this year, not while he's got the best point guard in college BB with another year of eligibility left.

Comment

Working...
                                X