Fred Van Vleet Is The Most Statistically Dominant Point Guard Of The Modern Era

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jdshock View Post
    Tyler Ennis last year had a 3.22 A/T Ratio, more steals than turnovers, and two more steals than fouls.

This is really fascinating. Even if we are able to find some pg's who have statlines that rival FVV, we're talking about players that are certainly some of the best guards of all time or players like Ennis that were good enough to play in the NBA at 19. There has been a contingent on here that have been very negative about FVV of late. Holland, Henderson, and the guys we have coming in next year are going to be great. Whoever plays pg down the road will be very good. I have a hard time believing any of them will make us forget just how good we have it with FVV now, though.
    Interesting. Nice work. I thought about Ennis but decided to focus on guys who played more than one year - I threw John Wall on there at the end.

Comment

What about jason Williams from duke? Was he a pg?

Comment

And, thus is very nice work!

Comment

Bobby Hurley?

Comment

I noticed that as one gets closer to the bottom third of your list, ones at the bottom of the A/TO, they are also most of the best scorers on this list. 5 of the last 7 on the list are 5 of the top 7 scorers.

Comment

Originally posted by rrshock View Post
              What about jason Williams from duke? Was he a pg?
              Yes he was, but he either fell into the "no complete stats" bucket or "not comparable bucket". There were a few that I thought of, but weren't worth tracking down additional stats if they didn't compare on the first 1 or 2.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                Bobby Hurley?
                He's on there.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                  Bobby Hurley?
                  Hurley's in there, and lower than I would have expected given who he played with.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
                    I noticed that as one gets closer to the bottom third of your list, ones at the bottom of the A/TO, they are also most of the best scorers on this list. 5 of the last 7 on the list are 5 of the top 7 scorers.
                    Yes, the primary sort on that list was A/TO. Nice observation - I think it makes sense that the line blurs between pure PGs versus PGs that look for their shot first. Fred is definitely not one of those.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                      Copy, paste, and send to a Jeff ******* inbox nearest you.
                      Jeff ******* is, was, and ever shall be a dumba$$ and wouldn't know what to do with something like this. But Luke Winn, Ken Pomeroy and Seth Davis (in that order)... I'd be interested in what they thought about it.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                        Copy, paste, and send to a Jeff ******* inbox nearest you.
                        Done. Goodmanespn@gmail.com.
                        "We can't win at home. We can't win on the road. As the general manager, I just can't figure out where else to play." -Pat Williams

Comment

I have been less enthusiastic about Fred this year than I was in previous years. Some out here have taken "less enthusiastic" as being critical.

The more difficult schedule, working in all the new players, instability in the rotation, and defenses concetrating on stopping Fred have made Fred less effective to this point this year than he was in previous years.Fred is starting to look like the Fred we've known before this year. I think the stiffer competition and the challenges he saw early in the season will make him a better player than the one I was expecting after his first 2 years.

Quite often progress is accompanied by some steps that don't go in the desired direction. Fred had some steps back, but he's showing 2 steps forward for every step back now. When someone plays at the level Fred plays at, continual progress is VERY difficult. Just maintaining the level we've seen the past 2 years is incredibly difficult.
                          The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

The only PG stat FVV would be "low" in is assists per game. However, he knows the team he plays on and that there are others that have PG traits as well. For the last 1 1/2 years, Baker and Cotton have combined for 5.33 assists per game, only 2.65 TOs per game for a nice 2.0 ratio and for about 2.8 steals per game. While that combo does not meet the steals/fouls criteria, both meet the steals/TO.

Comment

Originally posted by Good News View Post
                              Jeff ******* is, was, and ever shall be a dumba$$ and wouldn't know what to do with something like this. But Luke Winn, Ken Pomeroy and Seth Davis (in that order)... I'd be interested in what they thought about it.
                              Done. Email for Luke Winn and Seth Davis is through SI and Ken Pomeroy is ratings@kenpom.com.
                              "We can't win at home. We can't win on the road. As the general manager, I just can't figure out where else to play." -Pat Williams

Comment

FVV today broke his game assists record with 10, scored 14 points, and had 6 rebounds. Not sure if he had any turnovers but he makes very few considering how often the ball is in his hands. He leads our team in steals. He does not have Cle finishing his nice passes with assists this Season but still often finds the right player at the right time with sweet passes. We are beyond blessed to have FVV on our team as our quarterback and he is an incredible leader for us.
                                Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Working...
                                X