No announcement yet.

Fred Van Vleet Is The Most Statistically Dominant Point Guard Of The Modern Era

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fred Van Vleet Is The Most Statistically Dominant Point Guard Of The Modern Era

How’s that for an inflammatory title?!

Anyway, in addition to playing I’ve always been fascinated by the statistical side of college basketball. Back when I was knee high to a grasshopper in Section V Row 11, I remember running out of room on my steno pad that I brought to Antoine’s last home game to keep stats (a couple of years later I learned to leave 2 lines for X instead of 1).

One of the things I love about the FVV/Baker/Cotton/Wessel core is that they’re complete basketball players that put up crazy stat lines and contribute in many different ways. Last week I just happened to end up on Fred’s stat page and what I saw didn’t make any sense in the context of any other college basketball point guard that I’d seen in my lifetime.

So, I tried to disprove it and find other PGs that had done the same thing. What I discovered was pretty amazing.

Although scoring is important, in my opinion the 3 primary functions of a college point guard – in order of importance – are:

1. Distribute the basketball and create scoring opportunities efficiently; in my opinion this is most effectively measured by the Assist to Turnover Ratio

2. Defend and create turnovers without fouling; in my opinion this is most effectively measured by Steals versus Fouls

3. Create as many additional possessions as possible; on a net basis in my opinion this is most effectively measured by Steals versus Turnovers

A few things I’d like to note up front before getting to conclusions and what I found: (1) I used Basketball Reference for this, and complete stats in these categories don’t seem to go back further than 25 years or so – so I can’t include guys before then, (2) I might have left someone out, but I doubt it, and (3) I might have had a data entry error, but I doubt it. Part of the reason I’m posting this is for some of our stat-inclined posters to double check it and enhance it.

I’d also like Ken Pomeroy to audit it and Jeff Goodman’s dumb azz to respond to it, but that’s another topic.

Point guards that I looked at were:

Kendall Marshall
    Chris Corchiani
    Andre Miller
    Deron Williams
    Gary Payton
    Sherman Douglas
    Mateen Cleaves
    Trey Burke
    Jacque Vaughn
    Tim Hardaway (Sr)
    TJ Ford
    Steve Blake
    Aaron Craft
    Kenny Smith
    Jason Kidd
    Bobby Hurley
    Mike Bibby
    Shabazz Napier
    Kenny Anderson
    Kemba Walker
    Peyton Siva
    Damon Stoudamire
    Kirk Heinrich
    Greivis Vasquez
    John Wall

My finding and conclusions:

1. Assist to Turnover ratios ranged from 1.6 to 3.0, with most falling in the 2.0 to 2.5 area

2. There were only 8 players that had more Steals than Fouls in their career – Andre Miller, Sherman Douglas, Mateen Cleaves, Kenny Smith, Jason Kidd, Mike Bibby, Kenny Anderson, and Kemba Walker

3. There were only 2 players that had more Steals than Turnovers in their career – Tim Hardaway (Senior) and Aaron Craft, and neither of them were very close to having more Steals than Fouls

4. Of those 10 players, none had an A/TO ratio of better than 2.6, and most were in the 2.0 to 2.5 range

5. Fred Van Vleet is not only the ONLY player on the list to have more steals than fouls AND more steals than turnovers, but he is BY FAR the outlier in terms of Assist to Turnover ratio

The names and stats on this boggle my mind. What a player. Analysis is attached if people want to audit or check it out.

FVV Comp.jpg

This is a phenomenal post and thank you for making it. Any chance you can resize the attachment or insert it as an image?

Comment

Copy, paste, and send to a Jeff ******* inbox nearest you.
      Deuces Valley.
      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by Play Angry View Post
        This is a phenomenal post and thank you for making it. Any chance you can resize the attachment or insert it as an image?
        Yeah, sorry, I'm a longtime daily reader of SN but don't know the best way to put the data up. Let me try to post better, or if someone wants to tell me the best way I can do that.

Comment

Originally posted by Good News View Post
          How’s that for an inflammatory title?!

Anyway, in addition to playing I’ve always been fascinated by the statistical side of college basketball. Back when I was knee high to a grasshopper in Section V Row 11, I remember running out of room on my steno pad that I brought to Antoine’s last home game to keep stats (a couple of years later I learned to leave 2 lines for X instead of 1).

One of the things I love about the FVV/Baker/Cotton/Wessel core is that they’re complete basketball players that put up crazy stat lines and contribute in many different ways. Last week I just happened to end up on Fred’s stat page and what I saw didn’t make any sense in the context of any other college basketball point guard that I’d seen in my lifetime.

So, I tried to disprove it and find other PGs that had done the same thing. What I discovered was pretty amazing.

Although scoring is important, in my opinion the 3 primary functions of a college point guard – in order of importance – are:

1. Distribute the basketball and create scoring opportunities efficiently; in my opinion this is most effectively measured by the Assist to Turnover Ratio

2. Defend and create turnovers without fouling; in my opinion this is most effectively measured by Steals versus Fouls

3. Create as many additional possessions as possible; on a net basis in my opinion this is most effectively measured by Steals versus Turnovers

A few things I’d like to note up front before getting to conclusions and what I found: (1) I used Basketball Reference for this, and complete stats in these categories don’t seem to go back further than 25 years or so – so I can’t include guys before then, (2) I might have left someone out, but I doubt it, and (3) I might have had a data entry error, but I doubt it. Part of the reason I’m posting this is for some of our stat-inclined posters to double check it and enhance it.

I’d also like Ken Pomeroy to audit it and Jeff Goodman’s dumb azz to respond to it, but that’s another topic.

Point guards that I looked at were:

Kendall Marshall
          Chris Corchiani
          Andre Miller
          Deron Williams
          Gary Payton
          Sherman Douglas
          Mateen Cleaves
          Trey Burke
          Jacque Vaughn
          Tim Hardaway (Sr)
          TJ Ford
          Steve Blake
          Aaron Craft
          Kenny Smith
          Jason Kidd
          Bobby Hurley
          Mike Bibby
          Shabazz Napier
          Kenny Anderson
          Kemba Walker
          Peyton Siva
          Damon Stoudamire
          Kirk Heinrich
          Greivis Vasquez
          John Wall

My finding and conclusions:

1. Assist to Turnover ratios ranged from 1.6 to 3.0, with most falling in the 2.0 to 2.5 area

2. There were only 8 players that had more Steals than Fouls in their career – Andre Miller, Sherman Douglas, Mateen Cleaves, Kenny Smith, Jason Kidd, Mike Bibby, Kenny Anderson, and Kemba Walker

3. There were only 2 players that had more Steals than Turnovers in their career – Tim Hardaway (Senior) and Aaron Craft, and neither of them were very close to having more Steals than Fouls

4. Of those 10 players, none had an A/TO ratio of better than 2.6, and most were in the 2.0 to 2.5 range

5. Fred Van Vleet is not only the ONLY player on the list to have more steals than fouls AND more steals than turnovers, but he is BY FAR the outlier in terms of Assist to Turnover ratio

The names and stats on this boggle my mind. What a player. Analysis is attached if people want to audit or check it out.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2174[/ATTACH]
          Please send to Mark Adams and Mitch Holthus immediately. More importantly, please send to Mr. *******..
          Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

G Asst Stl TO PF Pts APG SPG TO/G PF/G Pts A/TO Stl > TO? Stl > PF?
            Fred (So/Jr) Van Vleet (So/Jr) 52 285 102 74 92 598 5.5 2.0 1.4 1.8 11.5 3.9 YES YES
            Fred (All) Van Vleet (All) 91 374 137 120 135 765 4.1 1.5 1.3 1.5 8.4 3.1 YES YES
            Kendall Marshall 73 581 83 193 106 523 8.0 1.1 2.6 1.5 7.2 3.0 No No
            Chris Corchiani 124 1038 328 400 349 1425 8.4 2.6 3.2 2.8 11.5 2.6 No No
            Andre Miller 134 721 254 279 188 1618 5.4 1.9 2.1 1.4 12.1 2.6 No YES
            Deron Williams 101 594 115 243 224 1111 5.9 1.1 2.4 2.2 11.0 2.4 No No
            Gary Payton 120 938 321 396 415 2172 7.8 2.7 3.3 3.5 18.1 2.4 No No
            Sherman Douglas 138 960 235 410 231 2060 7.0 1.7 3.0 1.7 14.9 2.3 No YES
            Mateen Cleaves 123 816 195 353 194 1541 6.6 1.6 2.9 1.6 12.5 2.3 No YES
            Trey Burke 73 416 93 180 126 1231 5.7 1.3 2.5 1.7 16.9 2.3 No No
            Jacque Vaughn 126 804 160 351 280 1207 6.4 1.3 2.8 2.2 9.6 2.3 No No
            Tim Hardaway (Sr) 124 563 262 249 297 1586 4.5 2.1 2.0 2.4 12.8 2.3 YES No
            TJ Ford 66 527 138 238 174 853 8.0 2.1 3.6 2.6 12.9 2.2 No No
            Steve Blake 138 972 234 453 290 1139 7.0 1.7 3.3 2.1 8.3 2.1 No No
            Aaron Craft 148 694 337 324 364 1314 4.7 2.3 2.2 2.5 8.9 2.1 YES No
            Kenny Smith 127 768 195 373 185 1636 6.0 1.5 2.9 1.5 12.9 2.1 No YES
            Jason Kidd 59 494 204 241 150 878 8.4 3.5 4.1 2.5 14.9 2.0 No YES
            Bobby Hurley 140 1076 204 534 320 1731 7.7 1.5 3.8 2.3 12.4 2.0 No No
            Mike Bibby 69 375 160 200 154 1061 5.4 2.3 2.9 2.2 15.4 1.9 No YES
            Shabazz Napier 143 646 251 350 301 1959 4.5 1.8 2.4 2.1 13.7 1.8 No No
            Kenny Anderson 65 454 168 252 135 1497 7.0 2.6 3.9 2.1 23.0 1.8 No YES
            Kemba Walker 111 460 185 258 165 1783 4.1 1.7 2.3 1.5 16.1 1.8 No YES
            Peyton Siva 144 677 254 384 379 1215 4.7 1.8 2.7 2.6 8.4 1.8 No No
            Damon Stoudamire 123 663 174 378 247 1849 5.4 1.4 3.1 2.0 15.0 1.8 No No
            Kirk Heinrich 141 668 206 382 382 1753 4.7 1.5 2.7 2.7 12.4 1.7 No No
            Greivis Vasquez 136 772 191 458 280 2171 5.7 1.4 3.4 2.1 16.0 1.7 No No
            John Wall 37 241 66 149 72 616 6.5 1.8 4.0 1.9 16.6 1.6 No No
            Attached Files

Comment

You are the man, many thanks. Everyone click the button to add to this guy's reputation points.

Comment

This is another reason I friggin' love Shockernet; thanks GN!

I feel sorry for those Wheatshockers.commers. :)
                "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Nm..

Comment

This is really really cool.

I looked up a few recent Cousy award winners that weren't on the list to try to see if it held true. I don't know if I'm looking at the wrong site, but I couldn't figure it out!

I saw Ty Lawson had more steals than turnovers and a 4.47 Assist to Turnover ratio (if I calculated correctly.) But I couldn't find data for personal fouls.

DJ Augustin had fewer steals than turnovers but a 4.30 Assist to Turnover ratio

Then for Acie Law, Dee Brown, and Raymond Felton I couldn't find turnover or foul information.

I'd also be interested in Aaron Miles from KU. He was maybe the last really good true point guard that the chickenhawks had.

Comment

Very cool work. Thanks!
                      Originally posted by BleacherReport
                      Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

Originally posted by jdshock View Post
                        This is really really cool.

I looked up a few recent Cousy award winners that weren't on the list to try to see if it held true. I don't know if I'm looking at the wrong site, but I couldn't figure it out!

I saw Ty Lawson had more steals than turnovers and a 4.47 Assist to Turnover ratio (if I calculated correctly.) But I couldn't find data for personal fouls.

DJ Augustin had fewer steals than turnovers but a 4.30 Assist to Turnover ratio

Then for Acie Law, Dee Brown, and Raymond Felton I couldn't find turnover or foul information.

I'd also be interested in Aaron Miles from KU. He was maybe the last really good true point guard that the chickenhawks had.
                        Excellent. Please continue to audit and enhance - not only is this an amazing stat line, but I would never want to make it if it weren't completely true.

But I think it is. Acie Law came to mind, but I always considered him (and watched him in person) as a 2 guard. Donald Sloan was their PG and was a darn good one.

I didn't think about Ty Lawson but that is a massive A/TO ratio - in fact, I was surprised that the greatest PGs in recent college history weren't closer to 3 times. I guess that is what is so special about FVV - he doesn't turn it over.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                          Copy, paste, and send to a Jeff ******* inbox nearest you.
                          No $hit... such a retard.

Comment

Originally posted by Good News View Post
                            Excellent. Please continue to audit and enhance - not only is this an amazing stat line, but I would never want to make it if it weren't completely true.

But I think it is. Acie Law came to mind, but I always considered him (and watched him in person) as a 2 guard. Donald Sloan was their PG and was a darn good one.

I didn't think about Ty Lawson but that is a massive A/TO ratio - in fact, I was surprised that the greatest PGs in recent college history weren't closer to 3 times. I guess that is what is so special about FVV - he doesn't turn it over.
                            Tyler Ennis last year had a 3.22 A/T Ratio, more steals than turnovers, and two more steals than fouls.

This is really fascinating. Even if we are able to find some pg's who have statlines that rival FVV, we're talking about players that are certainly some of the best guards of all time or players like Ennis that were good enough to play in the NBA at 19. There has been a contingent on here that have been very negative about FVV of late. Holland, Henderson, and the guys we have coming in next year are going to be great. Whoever plays pg down the road will be very good. I have a hard time believing any of them will make us forget just how good we have it with FVV now, though.

Comment

@EnthusiAdams: @FredVanVleet was so fun to watch today! Fred gave me assist before interview. He brushed off my sport coat. Another assist!

Comment

Working...
                              X