No announcement yet.

2014-15 Games of Interest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wait a sec. You mean a Big 12 team that could have pulled even with KU in the standings lost at home?

Allowing KU to remain in sole possession of 1st?

I am shocked! Shocked, I tell you!
    "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post
      Wait a sec. You mean a Big 12 team that could have pulled even with KU in the standings lost at home?

Allowing KU to remain in sole possession of 1st?

I am shocked! Shocked, I tell you!
      But it was a great loss. Maybe even good enough to vault them into the top 10!

Comment

• Talk about falling off, this was the turnout for senior night at Missouri State. That's on a level beyond even making fun of, that's just sad.
        ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

• Originally posted by Play Angry View Post
          Significant downside is that it pretty much hands the Beakers at least a share of another conference title.
          My first hope is that KU loses their remaining games and they don't win another Big 12 title (I think if they lost their next three, they could potentially not even finish in the top 3, right? There are three teams tied for second just one game behind KU, but I haven't looked at those teams schedules to see how it would break down). If that doesn't happen, though, my second hope is that KU loses a second one to West Virginia and is co-champions with West Virginia. 100% of KU fans flipped out when they had to be co-champions with K-State after completing a sweep of K-State. If this scenario happened this year, 100% of KU fans would absolutely ignore getting swept by WVU.

Comment

• Originally posted by jdshock View Post
            My first hope is that KU loses their remaining games and they don't win another Big 12 title (I think if they lost their next three, they could potentially not even finish in the top 3, right? There are three teams tied for second just one game behind KU, but I haven't looked at those teams schedules to see how it would break down). If that doesn't happen, though, my second hope is that KU loses a second one to West Virginia and is co-champions with West Virginia. 100% of KU fans flipped out when they had to be co-champions with K-State after completing a sweep of K-State. If this scenario happened this year, 100% of KU fans would absolutely ignore getting swept by WVU.
            Wouldn't work this year. They have 'one true champion*'

*unless it behooves them to have co-champions for football playoffs or ncaa tournament bids

Comment

• Originally posted by jdshock View Post
              100% of KU fans flipped out when they had to be co-champions with K-State after completing a sweep of K-State. If this scenario happened this year, 100% of KU fans would absolutely ignore getting swept by WVU.
              You're saying the Beakers have a double standard? Wow....I'm going to have to take deep breaths and process this one.
              78-65

Comment

• I used to always want KU to lose. But watching these other Big 12 teams ride the coattails of KU and claim greatness because they beat KU once or twice every 5 years, flame out in the NCAA, and chop their junk off when it comes time to challenge KU for the past 2 decades....

Hard to root for them, and I find it mildly amusing that KU wins every year when all is said and done.
                "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• I'm calling it. I don't think KU is gonna win it this year. It has to end sometime and there are a lot of good teams right there challenging them. KU will have to rise up and play really solid the next two weeks to hold everyone off. This year could go any number of ways.

Comment

• Originally posted by DJ06Shocker View Post
                    I'm calling it. I don't think KU is gonna win it this year. It has to end sometime and there are a lot of good teams right there challenging them. KU will have to rise up and play really solid the next two weeks to hold everyone off. This year could go any number of ways.
                    They get Texas and West Virginia both at AFH before ending at Oklahoma. Texas is fading and West Virginia will be playing 5-on-8 (like every other opponent) in AFH, so KU won't lose at home. Worst case for KU, OU wins out, beating KU in Norman to win a share of the title. KU will still have their share though.
                    78-65

Comment

• Originally posted by wushock27 View Post
                      On the Chris Jones front... He is accused of raping one woman and sodomizing amother on Sunday morning. One woman went to the hospital, and a warrant has been issued for his arrest... He is expected to turn himself in this morning here in Louisville...
                      Wow. Speechless.

Comment

• Originally posted by wushock27 View Post
                        On the Chris Jones front... He is accused of raping one woman and sodomizing amother on Sunday morning. One woman went to the hospital, and a warrant has been issued for his arrest... He is expected to turn himself in this morning here in Louisville...
                        Wow, Indeed!

A warrant has been issued for former Louisville basketball player Chris Jones, who is being charged with raping one woman and sodomizing another. This according to a report from Andrew Wolfson of the Courier-Journal.

Here's some clarification form U of L with regards to Chris Jones and the timeline for both his suspension and dismissal:

Comment

• During the 10 year streak, KU has been:

1 seed - 5 times
                          2 seed - 2 times
                          3 seed - 2 times
                          4 seed - 1 time

No other Big 12 team has been a 1 seed during that timeframe.

4 of KU's 10 titles were shared as co-champs and were not won outright.

Put all that data together and it shouldn't be surprising that KU keeps winning at least a share of the league. Obviously, being the best team in the league does not always guarantee that you will win. (2011 WSU was clearly the best team in the MVC that year even though they finished 2nd to MoSt) However, while KU may have had a small amount of luck to go 10 years in a row without an inferior team managing to steal the title from them, I think the real take away here is that the Big 12 has gone through a decade of being deep year after year, but with very few top 5, or even top 10, level teams beyond KU. It is basically KU as a top 10 team and a handful of Big 12 teams in the middle to bottom portion of the top 25. The consistency of this pattern is what is amazing. KU never seems to have an off year, and the rest of the Big 12 consistently produces good teams without hardly any of them reaching the elite level.

I see nothing to say that the rest of the Big 12 hasn't been full of good teams over the last decade. The fact that the 15th or 20th best team in the country can't win the title over the 5th best team in the country isn't reason to doubt that the 15th or 20th best team deserves its top 25 ranking. I just see a lot of proof that KU has been consistently great and the rest of the league has been completely unable to produce virtually any great challengers to match.
                          Last edited by Jamar Howard 4 President; February 26, 2015, 01:16 PM.

Comment

• Just an interesting aside...

Between 2004-2012, either Duke or UNC managed to win at least a share of the title each year. The rest of the ACC combined for only 1 Final Four appearance during those 9 years. That seems like quite a bit of dominance by the same 2 teams, yet I haven't heard anyone arguing that the ACC wasn't a great conference over that time frame. They seemingly shared the same benefit as the Big 12 of having a bunch of quality teams year in and year out, yet very few elite teams beyond the familiar two of Duke and UNC.

Comment

• And yet, that is 2 teams, not one. Much higher percentage that either of the top 2 teams will grab at least a share every year than the exact same team every year. It's also for 9 years instead of 11. Really a pretty terrible comparison all the way around.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jamar Howard 4 President View Post
                                During the 10 year streak, KU has been:

1 seed - 5 times
                                2 seed - 2 times
                                3 seed - 2 times
                                4 seed - 1 time

No other Big 12 team has been a 1 seed during that timeframe.

4 of KU's 10 titles were shared as co-champs and were not won outright.

Put all that data together and it shouldn't be surprising that KU keeps winning at least a share of the league. Obviously, being the best team in the league does not always guarantee that you will win. (2011 WSU was clearly the best team in the MVC that year even though they finished 2nd to MoSt) However, while KU may have had a small amount of luck to go 10 years in a row without an inferior team managing to steal the title from them, I think the real take away here is that the Big 12 has gone through a decade of being deep year after year, but with very few top 5, or even top 10, level teams beyond KU. It is basically KU as a top 10 team and a handful of Big 12 teams in the middle to bottom portion of the top 25. The consistency of this pattern is what is amazing. KU never seems to have an off year, and the rest of the Big 12 consistently produces good teams without hardly any of them reaching the elite level.

I see nothing to say that the rest of the Big 12 hasn't been full of good teams over the last decade. The fact that the 15th or 20th best team in the country can't win the title over the 5th best team in the country isn't reason to doubt that the 15th or 20th best team deserves its top 25 ranking. I just see a lot of proof that KU has been consistently great and the rest of the league has been completely unable to produce virtually any great challengers to match.

KU is a basketball school in football conference. They invest all of their energy in basketball and it shows in bball and football. The other 11 schools do the reverse. As a result there is more parity and diversity of champions in football. It is a more competitive sport with more competitive results year to year.
                                Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

Working...
                                X