No announcement yet.

Coaches Show

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Facilities improvements are always exciting, but if they really are planning on adding skyboxes to CKA we should all hope they find a bunch more "7 figure donors" because adding suites in a legit manner (no half-arse "suites" like K-State's Bramlage, or formats that reduce total capacity) will cost well into the 8 figures - maybe even more than the Roundhouse Renaissance cost a decade ago. Just IMO.

Something to look forward to nonetheless.

Comment

I actually think Gregg meant to say 8 figures, but that's just me.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
        Now that would put Chuck in the good graces of a lot more people!!

Might as well go ahead and bump that up to 9 figs! Make sure you show T-Boone how small time he is in comparison ;)
        The Assman

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
          Sure. Entirely possible.

I hope the plan adds at least a couple thousand seats as well. CKA is a jewel for WSU, but it really could use suites and a metered volume of additional, but demand-appropriate capacity.

It is all really exciting, even if 3G lifted the cover on something that was supposed to remain under wraps for a while yet.

Comment

Originally posted by wu_shizzle View Post
            This was a potential design at Notre Dame when they renovated their facilities. They didn't do it, but it looks interesting.

Not that they'll ask me, but if they add boxes/suites to Koch Arena, I would hope they'd be at the top.

Unless I am oblivious, there are actually no suites in this rendering. There is a sideline loft (obviously), and a décor banner (not suites) on the baseline.

Comment

I'm able to commit 8 figures on this as well, that is assuming I can count the comma, decimal point and 2 digits to the right of the decimal point.

Comment

NM. Wrong thread. Awkward!
                ShockerNet is a rat infested cess pool.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
                  Unless I am oblivious, there are actually no suites in this rendering. There is a sideline loft (obviously), and a décor banner (not suites) on the baseline.
                  There are other drawings that show luxury suites/boxes beneath the raised seating.

This was the best picture I found that accurately showed how a design firm had proposed adding boxes to an existing round basketball arena.
                  "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                  -John Wooden

Comment

The only answer is to add exactly like Oklahoma State did it. A new structure built around an existing structure. The interior of both buildings is melded to one space, but it really is two separate structures. The roof is the roof of the new structure and the old roof is removed. Where the suites go, top or bottom, can be argued, but the above would be the only cost effective solution.
                    There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by TheYeti
                      I love the "Chuck" as much as anyone, but blading it over and putting up a newly designed facility is appealing.
                      That would be the most pragmatic solution, but you are on pretty thin ice even mentioning such an option. Nobody has to agree with him, but TheYeti showed some stones!
                      There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

I love the "Chuck" as much as anyone, but blading it over and putting up a newly designed facility is appealing.
                        Bramlege was disappointing as a replacement. Eco stadium, IMHO, was far better before the renovation. Koch has special acoustics that should be retained if at all possible.
                        "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                        ---------------------------------------
                        Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                        "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                        "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
                          The only answer is to add exactly like Oklahoma State did it. A new structure built around an existing structure. The interior of both buildings is melded to one space, but it really is two separate structures. The roof is the roof of the new structure and the old roof is removed. Where the suites go, top or bottom, can be argued, but the above would be the only cost effective solution.
                          By doing this it also gives them the ability to add seating capacity. For example, bringing the lower bowl seating just up to the tier of suites could give you another couple thousand seats, and then add an upper deck with another 5,000 or so.

That would show a lot of people that we mean business when it comes to Shocker basketball!
                          ShockerNet is a rat infested cess pool.

Comment

Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
                            That would be the most pragmatic solution, but you are on pretty thin ice even mentioning such an option. Nobody has to agree with him, but TheYeti showed some stones!
                            Whether it is an appealing option is a matter of opinion from one fan to another, but I can't see how a new arena - especially in the same spot as Koch sits currently - is cost-effective. What are new, quality 12-14K seat basketball-only arenas, constructed on vacant greenfield, being built for these days? Guessing $80M-$120M? For reference OSU added ~7500 seats (and no suites - ?) to Gallagher-Iba for $55M in 2000, and the scale of that project was very large.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
                              Whether it is an appealing option is a matter of opinion from one fan to another, but I can't see how a new arena - especially in the same spot as Koch sits currently - is cost-effective. What are new, quality 12-14K seat basketball-only arenas, constructed on vacant greenfield, being built for these days? Guessing $80M-$120M? For reference OSU added ~7500 seats (and no suites - ?) to Gallagher-Iba for $55M in 2000, and the scale of that project was very large.

I have no dog in this fight, that said, let me explain why it would be more pragmatic to build new, in my opinion. First and foremost, you would not build new on top of where CKA currently sits. You would build on a new site that fits with the growth and future plans of the university. CKA would continue to operate, without causing a disruption, until the new arena opened. A college arena is less expensive than a municipal arena. Building a high end arena for Wichita State could be done for not a whole lot more than expanding CKA. Even if it cost 20% more, a new building adds revenue streams that can't be generated where the current arena sits. Think no further than the additional parking at $7-10 per car, per game. On the flip side, if you expand the current facility, you lose parking. Once the new arena would open, CKA could be torn down or repurposed, win for the school. Either way, torn down or repurposed you you gain land or additional use of space.

All in all, to gain seating, the pragmatic solution is to build new. But pragmatic isn't the only consideration and my guess is the far reaching sentimental opinion would be to expand Koch Arena rather than build new. Either way works.

Comment

If all we cared about was having more seats and luxury boxes, then wouldn't we just start playing all the games at Intrust?

Comment

Working...
                                X