Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who will start for the Shockers against Memphis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
    Yeah, I didn't do a good job of qualifying that remark, sorry. Nurger is very talented, solid, and moves well. I expect him to get a fair share, if not more, of post minutes available. The kid's good.

But Zach Brown is going to play a lot as well.
    I remember when people would say "the kid's good" about Ron Baker during his redshirt season. I always thought he was probably going to "have a shot to make the team" based on those comments. I didn't realize it was possible for him to actually be better than Toure Murry and showing signs of it early on.

What kind of "the kid's good" are we talking about here with Nurger?

Comment

Carter will average more than 25 minutes per game--he's our only post with D-1 experience. 30-35 is more accurate, leaving 45-50 minutes to share amongst 5 very capable players. Shaq will get minutes as a RSF who knows the system. Reports on Nurger have all been very positive. Bush will get minutes because if nothing else he's a tree. Kelly has stud potential. Glass will round out the rotation. That's the order I see playing time panning out--Carter, Shaq, Nurger, Bush, Kelly, Glass.

Edit: I completely forgot about Wessel. He has played the 4, but he's likely to get more minutes at the 3.
      "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

Best guess for the #5 starter

Am just now getting back on this thread after asking yesterday if anyone had seen a scrimmage. My guess is that Nurger will get more PT at Center than anyone else. But, the way Marshall plays that position, Bush could start. Coleby started last year, but Lufile got more PT.

The thing about Nurger is that he can block shots & he has quite an offensive repertoire, too. He can go inside, play with his back to the basket or shoot the 3. Carter might get PT in the 1st half of game if either Nurger or Wamukota get 2 fouls, too. Marshall likes to have 3 guys who can play the 5.

I also see Shaquille Morris backing up Darius Carter at the 4 position.

Comment

Who was the last post player to average 30+ minutes at WSU? It doesn't happen. Marshall wants his guys going all-out, all the time. Cle and CH never averaged more than 28mpg. Somewhere in the 22-27mpg seems much more reasonable.

Comment

Originally posted by DJ06Shocker View Post
            Sky's the limit...

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

I remember when people would say "the kid's good" about Ron Baker during his redshirt season. I always thought he was probably going to "have a shot to make the team" based on those comments. I didn't realize it was possible for him to actually be better than Toure Murry and showing signs of it early on.

Ron Baker good is a different kind of good than anyone has seen at this school in a long, long time. Nurger is D1 ready, skill and size-wise. Now, he has to buy in and learn the system and play defense etc etc. But I think that will happen and I expect him to be a serviceable defensive post man for a top 25 team and at times an offensive problem for a top 5 team. That's pretty good. Not Ron Baker good, but still pretty good.

Comment

The more I think about it, the more I believe this team will have some bumps in the road early....they just have too many new pieces and too tough a schedule to mow through people like last year. But if they stay healthy, Gregg WILL get 3-6 of the new kids to own what he needs them to own, and then look out come March and April.

My personal goal is to finish this season with a third straight major prediction coming to fruition.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                  Ron Baker good is a different kind of good than anyone has seen at this school in a long, long time. Nurger is D1 ready, skill and size-wise. Now, he has to buy in and learn the system and play defense etc etc. But I think that will happen and I expect him to be a serviceable defensive post man for a top 25 team and at times an offensive problem for a top 5 team. That's pretty good. Not Ron Baker good, but still pretty good.
                  So Nurger is, at worst, comparable to Stutz and may have a little more athleticism. I'll take it. :)

Comment

So Nurger is, at worst, comparable to Stutz and may have a little more athleticism. I'll take it. :)
                    And a DI ready body, which Stutz did not have.
                    Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
                      Who was the last post player to average 30+ minutes at WSU? It doesn't happen. Marshall wants his guys going all-out, all the time. Cle and CH never averaged more than 28mpg. Somewhere in the 22-27mpg seems much more reasonable.
                      This! Carter will get as many minutes as he can handle from a conditioning and fouling perspective. While, on occasion, he may see as many as 35 minutes in a game, it is likely that he will average 28 or less.
                      Livin the dream

Comment

Thank you to @WuDrWu: and @xazshox: for sharing their insight!
                        Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post
                          Carter will average more than 25 minutes per game--he's our only post with D-1 experience. 30-35 is more accurate, leaving 45-50 minutes to share amongst 5 very capable players. Shaq will get minutes as a RSF who knows the system. Reports on Nurger have all been very positive. Bush will get minutes because if nothing else he's a tree. Kelly has stud potential. Glass will round out the rotation. That's the order I see playing time panning out--Carter, Shaq, Nurger, Bush, Kelly, Glass.

Edit: I completely forgot about Wessel. He has played the 4, but he's likely to get more minutes at the 3.
                          I like your breakdown but few if any posts have seen 30 minutes under HCGM: 2014 Early led w/ 27. 2013 Hall had 28 and Early 25. 2012 Stutz had 25 and Hall had 22. 2011 Durley had 25 and Blair 20. I see Carter being at the top end of the range given the lack of experience but I doubt he gets above 30.

I see CDizzle beat me to it.
                          Shocker Nation, NYC

Comment

It may be unusual for a post to get that many minutes in HCGM's system, but we have an unusual situation this year. I certainly acknowledge I could be dead wrong.
                            "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

I think DC will see his minutes frontloaded during the OOC (30ish per game), then probably taper off a little during league play as HCGM builds depth for March. The non-con has a lot of tough, big teams and unfortunately they represent (almost?) all of our chances at top 50 wins, depending on whether UNI drops another load on themselves this season.

The bench probably gets a little longer after Christmas...sorta the opposite of most years.

Comment

Since watching the videos of Nurger earlier this summer....I have always believed him to be our main center this upcoming season. Tons of offensive moves. Plays like a true 5 and moves very well. I'm gonna predict he'll be our best center this year. Especially with the group of guards we have for at least one more season.
                                FINAL FOURS:
                                1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                                1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                                Number of Times Ranked: 157
                                Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                                Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                                Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                                #3 - Dec. 2017
                                #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                                #2 ~ March 2014
                                Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Working...
                                X