No announcement yet.

The Wichita Eagle "Shocker Summer" section

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The best 2-year career behind Cleanthony might just belong to Marguerite Keeley. Marguerite averaged 20.8 PPG and 12.5 RPG while shooting 57.1% from the field in her 44 games in 1975-77 while also lettering in tennis and softball. In her senior season she average 22.4 PPG on 60.5% FG shooting.

She played professionally in the WPBL and was an All-Star scoring 17.6 PPG.

I believe Marguerite, who transferred to Wichita State from Independence KS Community College, was he first Shocker female athlete inducted into the Shocker HOF.

One advantage 2-year players have on per game averages is they don't have generally lower freshman and sophomore numbers pulling down their career averages. Nevertheless, that should not really take away from their accomplishments.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
      No doubt Cle played on two of the best Shocker teams ever and he had a lot to do with that. But so did Coach Marshall, Carl Hall, Malcom Armstead, Fred Van Vleet, Ron Baker, Tekele Cotton, and Darius Carter. Cleanthony no doubt deserves some credit for being a very key part of this group.

OTOH, I don't know if Bob Wilson's accomplishments should necessarily be diminished because he played on a weaker team with perhaps weaker coaching (Harry Miller).

Jason Perez was the best player on bad teams as well. As I recall, Greg Carney wasn't shy about making sure he got his share of shots. Both Shocker Hall of Famers.

Jason would have been fabulous on recent Shocker teams. Some might say Ron Baker is Jason Perez 2.0
      I don't disagree with you. However, statistics per 40 minutes and number of shots taken to reach the point average that Bob Wilson received vs. Cleanthony Early would be relevant to this discussion. Just my thought that it may be a significant factor in any statistical analysis regarding these players.

Comment

Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
        I don't disagree with you. However, statistics per 40 minutes and number of shots taken to reach the point average that Bob Wilson received vs. Cleanthony Early would be relevant to this discussion. Just my thought that it may be a significant factor in any statistical analysis regarding these players.
        Yes, that would be interesting to see. I had a hard time finding the stats I could find on Wilson as it was and his minutes played were not available on what I found. Perhaps someone has that information.

BTW, if I was starting a team from scratch and had by choice I would take Early over Wilson. I'm absolutely not trying to diminish Cleanthony's career in the least bit. Just pointing out that Bobby Wilson had a very nice 2-year run at WSU as well.
        Last edited by 1972Shocker; July 14, 2014, 10:26 PM.

Comment

Yes, I remember Preston Carrington as the 6th man, too, at least some of the time.

Bob Wilson had a beautiful base line jump shot, oftentimes from pretty deep in the corner. Seems like he was referred to as Robert rather than Bobby, though.

Cal Bruton, I don't know as far his HOF status. I remember him as somewhat inconsistent. A very streaky player, he could be exciting to watch at times. At other times, he brought a chorus of groans.

Comment

Shocker Men's Basketball Hall of Fame players by Decade (players who straddled decades were put into the decade which encompassed the majority of their Shocker careers):

1950's - 4 (Dick Sanders, Cleo Littleton, Bob Hodgson, Joe Stevens and Al Tate)
            1960's - 9 (Ron Heller, Lanny Van Eman, Gene Wiley, Ernie Moore, Dave Stallworth, Kelly Pete, Jamie Thompson, Warren Jabali and Greg Carney)
            1970's - 3 (Terry Benton, Robert Elmore, Lynbert "Cheese" Johnson)
            1980's - 4 (Cliff Levingston, Antoine Carr, Xavier McDaniel and Aubrey Sherrod)
            1990's - 1 (Jason Perez)
            2000's - 1 so far (Paul Miller)

Other players of note from the 1960's: Nate Bowman, John Criss, Leonard Kelley, Dave Leach, Ron Mendell, Melvin Reed, Vernon Smith and Ron Washington.
            But ... but .... Ross McBurney?
            Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
              But ... but .... Ross McBurney?
              The travesty of the century. Come on Sexton!!
              "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Gene Wiley was inducted into the Shocker Sports Hall of Fame in 1981 so to say he isn't remembered or honored as a Shocker great is a bit of a stretch. But he is no doubt somewhat of an unknown among younger generations of Shocker fans, although Gene has been talked about every now and then on Shockernet (admittedly a small sampling of Shocker Nation).

Still, despite his induction into the Shocker Hall of Fame, Gene probably is one of the more under-appreciated Shocker athletes.
                My memories of Gene Wiley are numerous, both frustrating and wonderful. In the first years, he'd foul on many rebounds on FTs. Ralph Miller made him hold both hands above his head in order to correct this. I understand that he could jump and touch the top of the backboard. As a pro, he limited Wilt to his lowest scoring output (perhaps outside the year he decided not to score but to make assists).
                "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                ---------------------------------------
                Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
                  My memories of Gene Wiley are numerous, both frustrating and wonderful. In the first years, he'd foul on many rebounds on FTs. Ralph Miller made him hold both hands above his head in order to correct this. I understand that he could jump and touch the top of the backboard. As a pro, he limited Wilt to his lowest scoring output (perhaps outside the year he decided not to score but to make assists).
                  Speaking of 'touching the top of the backboard'...

"Legend was I could take a quarter and leave two dimes and a nickel..."

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post
                    Speaking of 'touching the top of the backboard'...

"Legend was I could take a quarter and leave two dimes and a nickel..."
                    Ok, so you could make change, so can I.

Comment

Ok, so you could make change, so can I.
                      You can take a quarter off the top of the backboard and leave two dimes and a nickle in it's place, all in a single jump? GET THAT MAN A SCHOLLY, STAT!!
                      Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                        You can take a quarter off the top of the backboard and leave two dimes and a nickle in it's place, all in a single jump? GET THAT MAN A SCHOLLY, STAT!!
                        I didn't say I could do that, I said I could make change. I am capable of making change off the top of the backboard as long as an extension ladder is available. :wink-new:

Comment

Y'all remember the Change Bank on Saturday Night Live. "People ask us how we make a profit. Volume!"
                          Shocker Nation, NYC

Comment

Cleo Littleton earns a college hoops first

Editor’s note: This story originally appeared in The Eagle on Feb. 15, 1955.

University of Wichita forward Cleo Littleton Tuesday was hailed by the National Collegiate Athletic Bureau as the first player at a major college west of the Mississippi River to join basketball’s famous “2,000 Club.”

Steve Broda, statistician for the NCAB, informed the WU sports publicity office of Littleton’s status Monday afternoon.

Broda informed the WU staff that Littleton is the seventh cager of all-time from a major college to score 2,000 points.

Littleton ran his college scoring total to 2,003 points last Saturday night when he scored 30 points against the University of Houston at Houston.
                            Read more here: http://www.kansas.com/2014/07/17/354...#storylink=cpy

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
                              I too am interested in that story. I happened to be stationed on the east coast when all of this happened and didn't know anything about it until I read this article.
                              Thanks to Mr. Suellentrop we now know the rest of the story:

http://recruitlook.com/blog/id_2364-...rdwood-in.html

BTW, don't you think that Paul Suellentrop belongs in the Shocker Hall of Fame?
                              ShockerNet is a rat infested cess pool.

Comment

Ted Bredehoft took Shocker Country by storm

Editor’s note: This story originally appeared in The Eagle on Nov. 9, 1982.

Almost from the moment Ted Bredehoft set foot on the Wichita State campus 10 years ago, he was surrounded by controversy.

Hired in August 1972 as athletic director, Bredehoft vowed to “attain excellence” in the sports in which the Shockers competed.

In many ways, Bredehoft achieved that goal. But in the end, it was the pressure to attain “excellence” that proved to be his undoing.
                                Read more here: http://www.kansas.com/2014/07/28/356...#storylink=cpy

Comment

Working...
                                X